Print Thread
Hop To
K
kasTX Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Maybe those of you out there with more knowledge of leveraction rimfire options can help me out.

A couple of months ago I bought a Winchester 9422M (22WMR) from the local sporting goods store, which agreed to match Walmart's price even though Walmart couldn't get them any more. I walked out the door for around $375. Fairly steep for a rimfire, but not too bad condsidering the rifle is built like a centerfire. I instantly fell in love with the gun - for the way the action cycles, for the accuracy (far better than most people would have you believe a leveraction is capable of) and for the way it carries.

Based on this experience I started looking for one in 22LR with a shorter barrel (someone figured out that 16" is optimum for the 22LR), and found that Winchester used to make one with a 16" barrel called the Trapper that would shoot the 22S, L, and LR. I was in luck, or so I thought.

I started looking around and found several for sale, but none for less than $450 plus shipping plus FFL transfer!!!! That puts them in the $500 range. Say what? I know the whole 9422 line has been dropped, but that is ridiculous, expecially considering the Trapper never sold that well anyway, and was dropped a year before the rest of the line. I attribute most of the price hike to speculation, and the length of time these rifles have been for sale would seem to confirm that (anyone with a new Trapper model has had it in inventory for at least a year).

So here is my question (finally!): Do any of you know of another quality lever action in 22LR with a 16" or so barrel? I should also mention I am not a fan of Henry products. Marlin?

Thanks in advance for the help.

KasTX

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sometime back Marlin made a fine little rimfire, the 39 TDS, with a 16 inch barrel. I had one for a while. Now discontinued but hard to find.

K
kasTX Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Thanks for the info Whitetail. I was able to go through some other posts and get a little information on the TDS and it sounds like a good one. Unfortunately, Marlin doesn't make it anymore, and finding used examples has been even harder than finding used Winchester 9422 Trappers.

S
S
500 is a lot, but my dad paid $245 in late 70s for a new one. Expensive, yes, the most accurate 22 I ever touched, absolutely

K
kasTX Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
salber01,

Someone eventually clued me in to CDNN in Abilene. They had (and still have) 9422s in 22LR and 22Mag, both long and short barrels, with case colored receivers. I picked up a trapper for $389. I really like the gun, although the 9422M feeds a little slicker.

Overall impression is that workmanship could be better, but functioning is very good. What I also realized after receiving the Trapper is that the barrel is of a heavy profile, making it almost a "bull barrel".

I took it to the range, but there was a pistol rimfire silhouette contest going on. Fortunately, the folks there were kind enough to let me shoot with them, saying that rifles with old style sights (like the Winchester's buckhorn) were commonly allowed. The targets in handgun silhouette are the same shape, but twice the size of the regular rimfire silhouette targets. Long story short, by the end of the match, I hit the ram at 100 yds 10 out of 10 times.

This week I hope to get it to the range with a scope to find the ammo it likes best, then switch back to the buckhorn sights for rabbit hunting. Size and weight of the rifle makes it great for carrying.

IC B2

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I know how you feel - I'm still kicking myself for not buying
a Marlin 1897 T when they were last out - the prices on those
things now - if you can find them - is going through the roof !

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
How about a browning bl-22?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
if the price is right why not buy a regular sized 94/22 cut it down to 16" and then crown the barrel. Probly going to be easier to find a regualr 94-22 probly cheaper to.

K
kasTX Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I looked at the BL-22 at the NRA show when it was in town and was favorably impressed. Price was pretty high, especially if you wanted a higher grade. I also really liked the short throw lever - cycling it did not require moving thumb from behind the hammer. I wouldn't say No to one if it came by at a really good price, but I am happy enough with the 9422 that I am not in the shopping mode.

I hadn't thought about cutting down a full length 9422. I don't have an idea what that would cost.

CDNN still has some of the 9422 Trappers in 22LR, but the price has gone up $10 since I got mine. Some of the other versions of the 9422 they had in their catalog are no longer there, so they might have sold out on those.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I recently aquired a Marlin 39TDS
http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/onepic.jsp?id=1104718

At 25 yards it'll keep em in a dime if I do my part with most ammo I've tried. It even shoots CB longs better than any of my other rimfires.

It's almost two pounds heavier than my Papoose. The 39TDS feels a lot more substantial and adult sized too.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...I reckon thats what i've got, a TDS. I got a little model 39 with a 16" barrel and a compact straight grip stock. It's a sweet little gun in nearly new condition. I got it from a lady I worked with back around '93,her husband passed away,and knowing my interest in firearms, she ask if I wanted to buy his guns. It turned out his guns were the little Marlin,and a S&W model 38 Airweight. I bought them both for $125.00(her price,not mine).
I've taken the little Marlin to the range recently after allowing it to set in my safe all these years. It has the iron sights,which these old eyes gave up on around twenty years ago. Still I was able to get 50 yard 5 shot groups around an inch. I've just bought a Weaver scope base off Ebay,for it,and have a like new vintage Weaver C4 scope to put on it. I'm excited to see what the little carbine will do!

Last edited by olhippie; 04/09/06.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.