Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
I sleep like an Osage every night...

All my life I have slept like a 3/8 Cherokee. And I ain't "native American." I much prefer American Indian.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
How's the front wheel, Randy?

just saw this mike,

i'm hopeful, first week was pretty dicey as there was plenty of subluxation and pain to go along

course gettin rattled around in the taco pushing snow berms back 3 days post surgery mighta contributed

da banks hadn't been hit with snofalls like we had post op since the mid 90's

but sometime about a week out, things started to tighten up, i'm able to sleep 6 hours in bed and feel pretty good

headed to anc on monday for eval and hopeful to be given green light on PT and released to my doc here for any further post op care if needed

gonna ask the surgeon if it's realistic to shoot for sheep season

may not be realistic, had a knee done in jan 99 and in aug guided for sheep, guy took a dandy but it was a brutal hunt
after packin his sheep out knee swelled up like a balloon, couldn't have gone back out. but did come home get it drained and went to dilly to do another 4 weeks of bou and moose

course i was a decade younger then too

bottom line too early to tell but i'm hopeful

u guys headed this way anytime soon for the uaf gig?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
A little knee work Randy?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
shoulder this time ken

knee was in '99

if u had an older car with lots of miles you'd understand, they have to be rebuilt from time to time

jut hopin momma ain't shoppin for a newer model with less miles not driven off road so much

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
well...ya know....they say it's not always the miles you have on ya, somtimes it comes right down to the number of stops you make...grin

Last edited by ken999; 03/06/11.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
When I was younger I slept on the ground in a sleeping bag, then one late Novemeber I decided that wasn't enough and put down pine boughs to lay on. This was very comfortable and kept me off the cold ground. My buddies elk hide was used as our lodge door a time or two. Then there were the various leanto's we built.

As I got older the I discovered the 3" thick foam pad is my friend, but only in camps a pick-up can get to.

The very best indian type sleeping I have done is in a tepee. Nothing like having your heat source in your sleeping quarters so you can stoke the fire and heat coffee without getting out of bed. The only problem is hauling it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm surprised no one has replied with.......

"No,but I've walked like an Egyptian." grin

T
Tag Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have been doing "living history" for years. I have camped outside with temperatures down to -20 degrees using only wool blankets. The ticket we have found is a good insulating layer underneath and keeping a little bit of sausage or other high fat meat in your bedroll. As we all know the body needs some fuel to keep the furnace going. if you wake up cold a lot of times eating some food and/or drinking some water will help. We use a combination of the wool blankets and old fashioned oil cloth to keep the mositure out. For the ultimate in winter camping comfort we have used a small lean-to style shelter with a pit fire in frount. The biggest key we found was to get rid of all the cotton and use only wool. Really you are just replacing the fancy modern day down bag with a bedroll of oil cloth and wool blankets and modern synthetic clothing with good wool clothing. Others have used buffalo hides and elk hides and they work well. We usually trekked on snowshoes and towed a tobbagon with our gear. If you google historical trekking you may find some good info.

R
R
If you search the archives there are several lengthy discussions on this topic. I am one of several here who deliberately hunt at times with a light, non-bulky backpack and bivy for a night or a few without sleeping bag or tent. We usually cheat a bit by taking along tear-open chemical hand warmers and stashing them several places inside our clothes to sleep warm.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,573
Posts18,491,943
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.