Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I live in a small northern Ohio city. To our north east there is a city that has fallen into ruin. To our south east is another well on that path. Both black and Hispanic gangs are running wild.

In my town there has never been problem. As of late I've been seeing more and more persons wearing gang style clothing. Recently I've seen some gang graffiti.

Yesterday I came out of a small store and ran into one of these types. He obviously knows me from the prison. He had some lip, but being alone he did nothing. I find myself wondering the what if's. What if he had his posse? What if my wife was with me?

I never bothered going armed in my town, that has now changed. I will pack always. I'm looking at my P63 and thinking that it's a little inadequate. The combat commanders are just too big, plus I don't like cocked and locked concealed on my hip IWB.

What say you to a KAHR CW9 or CW40?

Last edited by crosshair; 03/27/11.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Snubnose 357 magnum w/2 speedloaders.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1 on the Kahr.

My K40 ALWAYS rides in my truck with me in a console mounted holster, 3 mags full of Gold Dots and 2 different holsters and a fanny pack so that I have multiple carrying options when on foot.

Lots of other good options out there,but my Kahr works very well for me.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
For maximum power, the Taurus 415 with one or two speedloaders is one very good solution. The 41 Mag bullet is considerably fatter than the 357. Mine spits out a 170 grain pill at up to 1400 FPS, though my carry load is only 1100 FPS. This gun is quite easy to carry, and you will not have to engage the same target twice. (Plus I have a personal bias against snubby 357s.)

For maximum convenience, it is hard to beat the Sig PT238. It's only a 380, but it is essentially a miniature 1911 that handles much better than the other compact 380s I have tried.

Another avenue to think about is something in 44 Spl. This cartridge pretty much duplicates 45 ACP ballistics in a lightweight revolver. I think the only current production is Charter Arms, but there are some older offerings that you might also find.

Last edited by denton; 03/27/11.

Be not weary in well doing.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
From the positive experience I've had with the Ruger LCP, if I was in the market for a 9mm "carry all the time" pistol, I'd be giving these a long look.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_49_75/products_id/73923

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
What Bristoe sez....I'll never be without mine.

Unless I am carrying my Walther PP in 32 ACP...

Or my Ruger LCR.

Roger

NRA Life

CRPA Life
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i carry a full sized 1911 all the time. it works for me, but i am a big dude. its not that hard for me to conceal it, and the weight doesnt bother me. no doubt in the .45 ACP to kill what i shoot either.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Kahr CW40 is a great piece for conceled carry. Sort of like a "skinny" Glock and a lot easier to carry. Good choice.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
How about a Glock 27? Or an H&K P2000SK .40. Both are totally reliable, and very concealable.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a CW9, and find it very comfortable to carry, and it has been 100% reliable.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
new convert to the kahr

skinnier glock is an apt description ime

only worry is that in SHTF moments would miss the extra rounds the Glock holds.

say what you want, but as the OP described, 1 on 1 doesn't concern me as much as multiple assailants. guys get froggy in a group

there's something to be said to having the capacity of two revolvers before ever considering reloading.

the Kahr, makes it awful easy to leave the Glock or even the Kimber in the safe at home

perhaps too easy

still 6-7 rounds of .40 should give a guy a fighting chance at saving his or more importantly those he loves bacon.

good on ya for deciding to always go armed, in your profession i would think it would danged near be a necessity

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Another avenue to think about is something in 44 Spl.

My favorite, one on right-hand cross, the other behind right hip. Kind of 'fat' for Summer wear though, wink.

1911 for Summertime, bullet a bit fatter, smile , but pistol slimmer.

They both thunk pretty good though. And, revolver/pistol gives me excuse to practice twice as much.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Comfort is a big consideration in a CCW. I like thin, revolvers are too fat. I have my P63 that I carry, but am looking or a bit more power and a slightly higher round count, plus getting away from the heel mag release. I'd carry the CZ82, but it seems uncomfortable. Also, I don't want a safety, in case my wife has to use in crisis.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Pick the cartridge you're comfortable with and then go shoot as many as possible. Made two trips to a local shop lately, one to try 9mms and another for .45s. Shot six different models of each one after the other. Shot the S&W M&P, Glock36, XDm, 1911 in .45 ACP; and the S&W M&P, Ruger SR9c, Glock 26, Kahr PM9, Sig P236 (I think) in 9mm. Great way to really get a feel for what you like. For me the G26 & SR9c and G36 really stood out. I liked the fit and feel of the 9mm Kahr, but the trigger was an abomination. Not just poor, it was horrible. I was not able to shoot any of the really small 9mms such as the LC9. Guy at shop said they (the range of very small 9mms) are good, but don't have the frame strength to hold up to the daily shooting that their rentals see. Which, of course, is not likely a factor for a dedicated concealed weapon. I do want to try the LC9 as the extra concealability means I'm more likely to actually have it with me. I have a Glock 17 but want something more concealable.

Last edited by prm; 03/27/11.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The Ruger LCP is a .380. Their small 9mm offering is the LC9.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
What a mess. We should not have to put up with this kind of crap. Take care of yourself, your family and your community any way necessary.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The Ruger LCP is a .380. Their small 9mm offering is the LC9.

Yes, that's what I meant to type. .380 doesn't interest me.

If I had to buy one today based on what I've shot it would be the SR9c.

Last edited by prm; 03/27/11.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by crosshair
I live in a small northern Ohio city. To our north east there is a city that has fallen into ruin. To our south east is another well on that path. Both black and Hispanic gangs are running wild.

In my town there has never been problem. As of late I've been seeing more and more persons wearing gang style clothing. Recently I've seen some gang graffiti.

Yesterday I came out of a small store and ran into one of these types. He obviously knows me from the prison. He had some lip, but being alone he did nothing. I find myself wondering the what if's. What if he had his posse? What if my wife was with me?

I never bothered going armed in my town, that has now changed. I will pack always. I'm looking at my P63 and thinking that it's a little inadequate. The combat commanders are just too big, plus I don't like cocked and locked concealed on my hip IWB.

What say you to a KAHR CW9 or CW40?
As between those two, I'd recommend the Kahr CW9 over the CW40, since in such a light gun recoil will severely affect quick follow up shots, and 9mm in modern loads is perfectly adequate.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You might take a look at the new Kimber Solo pistol.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just buy one of everything,that's what I did. laugh

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

287 members (270cowboy, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 40 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,039
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.