Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a question concerning a barrel getting hotter as it is shot numerous times:

Is it higher velocity that makes a barrel heat up quicker, or is it higher pressure that makes the heat?

I realize that they are almost directly correlated, but am wondering about using reduced loads to lower barrel heat while prairie dog shooting. I can reduce the pressure of a known load to get lower velocity, or I can use a different faster powder that creates continued high pressures but lowers the velocity. Which one will give me less heat?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My opinion is that it is the friction of the bullet passing through the barrel that causes the heat.

There might be some heat generated by the hot powder gasses, but I think most of comes from the bullet's travel through the barrel. Lower velocity would probably prevent the barrel from heating up as quickly as high velocity.

But, I don't see where a slow or fast powder would make all that much of a difference, if the velocity stayed constant.

You don't necessarily want to reduce a slow burning powder to get low velocities. Consult a loading manual and use a powder suitable for the velocities you are looking for. Also be careful and don't use too much of the fast powder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All the heat comes from the powder. No question about it. It's as simple as that.

The friction drains energy � it does not produce it.

The powder � slightly assisted by the primer � is the sole source of energy in a nonrocket cartridge. Several things drain it (friction, recoil, noise, etc) leaving only about 25�30% propelling the bullet.

Where else would cartridge energy come from?

Let a hot summer sun heat an idle rifle with a loaded round in the chamber, and it'll still be the heated powder that expends its energy when you pull the trigger.

We talk about (and measure) pressures, but it's the heat that's associated with those pressures that makes the barrel hot.

If you want to amuse yourself with intuiting some phenomena of interior ballistics, tune your noodle to this �

A pressure-cooker in your kitchen can produce some down-right nasty havoc if for some reason it lets go at or near its normal operating pressure of 20�30 lb/sq in. Try comparing that with a high-velocity cartridge operating at something like 60,000 lb/sq in.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's interesting as hell. I would have thought the friction caused the heat as well.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The friction drains energy � it does not produce it.

Friction can certainly convert mechanical energy to heat.

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I think it is both of the heat produced by combustion of the powder and the friction of the bullet moving down the barrel. Combustion of the powder produces both heat and kinetic engery of the moving bullet and gases. The friction in the barrel converts some of the kinetic energy to heat. What the balance is between these two sources of heat is I have no idea.

Whether using a bullet with a short bearing surface and mild charges of a faster burning powder would make much of practical difference I couldn't say.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Ken is correct.

Pressure and heat are manifestations of the same microscopic thing: molecules in motion. The hotter they are, the faster they move and the more force they exert on their surroundings.

Consider that propellant gas peaks at 2,000 degrees or more, and I think you'll soon find where the barrel heat comes from. It's the same mechanism that makes a car engine hot.

Friction contributes little to barrel temperature.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've actually shot coated XLC's and uncoated cup and core bullets from the same rifle (223WSSM), at the same velocity and measured the heat. The coated bullets produced far less heating on the barrel. From memory, three naked bullets produced about the same heat as five coated bullets.

Friction would seem to be the likely difference. FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I wasn't arguing the percentage contribution. But Ken's statement wasn't clear as to how friction was stealing the powder's energy.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The force of friction in a barrel is around 150 pounds, more or less. Working over 2 feet of barrel, that's about 300 foot pounds.

In a 30-06, that's not the dominant source. In a 223, it's a greater proportion of the total but still not dominant.

Last edited by denton; 03/27/11.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
I wasn't arguing the percentage contribution. But Ken's statement wasn't clear as to how friction was stealing the powder's energy.

OK. Let's look at that. (I wasn't trying to explain the obvious � just stating the facts, Ma'am.)

� The powder burns, converting latent energy into operating energy.

� That energy pushes the bullet forward.

� The moving bullet rubs against the sides of the bore.

� That rubbing � friction � produces heat.

� The barrel absorbs some of that heat (and the bullet gets some of it) as well as the greater heat that the combustion produces.

� The push that produces the movement that produces the rubbing produces some of the heat that the barrel absorbs.

� The heat that the barrel absorbs does not push the bullet.

� The heat that the barrel absorbs stays behind while the bullet goes wherever it's going.

� The heat is one expenditure of the powder's energy. The push is another. So not all the powder's energy is spent as push.

X-Y=<X.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now please don't ask me to explicate the fundamental distinctions between British thermal units (Btu) and degrees Fahrenheit (�F)!

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
denton's number for bullet friction sounds familiar. Going through the math, you get a temperature rise of about 1 F from the bullet's friction. The rest of -- the bulk of -- the barrel heating comes from the gases. The heat transfer comes from convection (molecules banging on the metal) and radiation (light absorbed by the metal).

To reduce the temperature of the gases, reduce the pressure.

Coated bullets need less pressure to make the same velocity, so the gas temperature will be lower.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stretch a rubber balloon a bunch of times and feel it... bend wire back and forth repeatedly in the same spot, and then feel it.

Barrels also swell slightly in an advancing wave trailing the bullet. There is a bit of internal friction there which is still sourced from the burning powder's energy, but not due to bullet/barrel friction.

The venting gas, post exit, cools significantly (Joule-Thomson effect) through expansion and stays in the barrel far longer than bullet transit time.

Suspect you used convection where you meant conduction...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The latent energy of smokeless powder is, IIRC, about 175�180 foot-pounds per grain. If all the energy from fifty grains at 175 ft-lb/gr were expended on propulsion alone, the kinetic energy of the bullet would be between 8,000 and 9,000 ft-lb (8,750, according to my creaky math, bleary eye, and dull pencil).

(IIRC, the figure is about 178 ft-lb/gr for the IMR powders. But I'm 'way too tard and sleepy to look it up.)

"Good enough" isn't.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Ken, I hope you're simply tir'd and not actually going "tard" at this point.

So bottom line is: if I reduce the pressure, it will thereby reduce the heat going into the barrel?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yessir. This is why hot loads lead to shortened barrel life wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Ken, I hope you're simply tir'd and not actually going "tard" at this point.

So bottom line is: if I reduce the pressure, it will thereby reduce the heat going into the barrel?
Yep. PV=NRT. All things equal higher pressure is directly correlated to higher temps.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Bullet friction heating is immediate--whatever the amount, it dumps the heat right into the barrel steel. Hot gasses heat via convection and radiation. Radiation is fast, whereas convection is slow.

Radiation heat transfer depends greatly on the temp., and given the very high temp. and the very short times involved, it's almost certain the hot gas heats via radiation.

It can also be argued that friction frequently decreases with higher rubbing speeds, so my vote is barrel heating is largely via radiation from the hot gas.

Too bad we can't include jpegs in the posts. I have some rather interesting photos of just how fast pure radiation can heat heavy steel cables up and vaporize them in well under a thousandth of a second.

"A wire telegraph is a kind of long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Radio operates the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is there is no cat."

A. Einstein
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Pour some powder out on the ground. Light it with a match and hold your hand over it.Then take a bullet and rub it like hell on a piece of steel and hold that steel with your hand.
See which burns you the most.

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/28/11.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (3dtestify, 7887mm08, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 12 invisible), 987 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,129
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.