-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've 3 G-kids and would like to be able to pack the younger two a bit with me at the river or on the trail etc.

So, what have you used or seen used to help out with this?

Many thx

Dober

(and if anyone has a used pack like this feel free to pm me)

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark how old are your youngest?

For just toting around we found the Ergo baby carrier the best. Its the most comfortable I have used.

If you want to do carry more stuff with you the Kelty TC is pretty good.

The down side to these two is you cant keep the kid in them when you take them off. If your looking for one that you can set them down in the pack the Sherpani's are really nice.

The only one we still use is the Ergo.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Our youngest G-kid is a bit over one and weighs 23 lbs and our middle one is a bit over 3 and weighs 35 or so.

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark,

Ergo would work for both. We still use both the kids in it.

If you want to give it a whirl bring the grand kids some after noon and take it for a spin.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Kids have just about outgrown them.

My wife swears by the Ergo. Absolutely loves it. Only downside is that you can't carry much other gear with it. Big plus is that if there are two adults, you can stash the Ergo, and keep it hidden until the child really needs it.

We've had two different Keltys. They're OK, nothing great, but they do allright. One never rode my hips right. I think the new ones are very modular with lots of options for add on pockets and sunshades etc. The rain/sun shade is very useful, not just for rain and sun but also to fend off branches when Dad isn't as thoughtful as he could be.

Keep the sippy cup on a string.

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have an older kelty that works great. I bought a sunshade and it is worth it. Like mentioned above the sunshade deflects sticks and branches.

I use it all the time day hikes with my son and also it gets used when my Dad, my Son and myself go on camping trips. My Dad carries josh and I carry the gear for the three of us. I want to rig something up so I can carry Josh and our gear at the same time though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had/used a Kelty "Kid-Carrier" Elite backpack. It was truly amazing - it carried well and was made from excellent materials.

Ya gets what ya pays fer.... There are some less expensive models to be found and they may do the job quite well. I bought my pack used for $75 and sold it 3 years later for the same price and i used mine alot!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Deuter. Its a great, comfortable pack. A bit on the pricey side but my girl loves being in it. It has quite a bit of room to pack extra junk in too. Also has a kick stand!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ya know Dober, whichever one your looking closest at, make sure it has "kid stirrups".

Otherwise, the little ones feet/legs "fall asleep" and when they start waking up and all the painful tingles start...well, no ones happy then.

Also, it should come w/a rain/sun head-shield for the little tykes - at no extra cost - just part of the construction and the good ones will all have a "kick-stand".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Used a Kelty for a long time and thought it was pretty good. Then I ran across a Jack Wolfskin at a garage sale. WAY better than the Kelty -- both for the "kid" and the "carrier".

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just bought a Deuter kid carrier 3 based on reviews (bought it for $150 on craigslist). It's like a real pack, my one year old loves it. REI has it, if they have those in MT.

My buddy uses a Kelty and has no complaints. He's got his son trained to cover his ears when he shoots grouse smile

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I remember reading here on this forum that if you couldn't haul it in a MR NICE and a load sling, it couldn't be hauled....

It must be true or they couldn't print it, right?

smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by oldslowdog

I remember reading here on this forum that if you couldn't haul it in a MR NICE and a load sling, it couldn't be hauled....

It must be true or they couldn't print it, right?

smile

That is correct smile

[Linked Image]

SH08
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was given a Kelty for free just like the blue ones pictures above. Carries comfortable for me and my ~24 lbs. "lilly pad." She goes nuts when she sees it trying to climb inside so we can go for an adventure. Not much room for other gear though. I just use it to try and get in shape.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Kelty has/had a variety of models and they weren't created equal back when I bought an Elite version over ten years ago. That one had a comfy suspension and all sorts of modular doo-dads including an awesome and relatively un-embarassing (for males) detachable diaper bag. Not sure how they are now but used ones can be had, and mine lasted through two kids, lots of trails and urban use and is now being used by someone else.

I
I
I was hoping by the time I have kids (a year or two) that the fine folks at MR will design a kid hauler that attaches to the NICE frame. Looking at Kenaiking's pic I may just have to pic up a crew cab. That should be an easy sell for the wife; she get nervous when I phone the Ranch.

Last edited by islandarcher; 03/28/11.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'll second that. We had a Kelty, and a sherpani, I never liked either, I could never get the back length long enough to get the hip belt on my hips. My wife thought the Kelty was fine. I built a foam seat for my MR Crew, and that worked the best. She is three now and 35 lbs or so and rides fine, but at three she just doesn't like being confined for long anymore, in any carrier....we are practicing riding our pack goat now!
[Linked Image] [i][/i]

"Do you want it "Right", or "Right now"? - always a good question.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
we are practicing riding our pack goat now!

Our kids are grown but we've talked about hauling a grandkid on one of our llamas. Not at this point, anyway. Our llamas are all too young and I wouldn't trust any of them with a kid until they get more trail experience.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, Aero, 14 invisible), 1,333 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,678
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.