Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I'm trying to put together a long range capable, light weight rifle. I've read lots of really good stuff about NULA's and was wondering how far those of you that have one would be willing to take a shot at an animal and feel good about it? I know light-weight and long-range don't really go together well, but heavy rifles and steep mountains don't go together well either. Would probably want it in a 7 WSM. Would 600yds be too much with a good scope and rest? Thanks!

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I know light-weight and long-range don't really go together well, but heavy rifles and steep mountains don't go together well either. Would probably want it in a 7 WSM. Would 600yds be too much with a good scope and rest?

The NULA isn't the limiting factor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NULAs have a great reputation, so I would expect that a lot of them would be very capable out to 600 yards.

There are a couple things that come to mind:
1. In NULAs, a WSM is going to require a Model 28 Short action, and that might not be as light as you want in the weight department. The NULA model number indicates the number of ounces the action weighs. If you went with a .280 Rem, you could have your rifle in a Model 24 (24 oz action). If you went with a 7mm-08 or .284 Win, you could have your rifle in a Model 20 (20 oz action). Thus, by chambering the rifle in .284 Win instead of a 7 WSM you could shave 8 oz (half a pound) off the rifle's weight.

2. How much recoil do you want to practice with? Even with the best stock design, the laws of physics are still in force. Sure you can have another rifle in the same chambering that weighs 8 or 9 lb to practice with, but to consistently hit animal vitals out to 600 yards with your NULA, you're going to have to practice out to 600 yards with your NULA. I know you know that, but when we are talking about a 7 WSM, the recoil would add up with most people when shooting a scoped rifle weighing a few ounces over 6 lb.

3. On the topic of practice - the hold that you use with a Remington 700 sporter will not get you the same results with a NULA (at least it hasn't for me from a solid rest). Thus, one using a NULA needs to practice with it enough to know how to hold it to get the results it can provide. That familiarity requirement gets you back to Item #2 above.

Last edited by Ramblin_Razorback; 03/28/11. Reason: added #3
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at it from this point of view. My current LR rifle weighs in at 11lbs in 7WSM. No problem practicing with it. If I were to get a model 28 and put a 20oz scope on it (I know, why buy a light rifle and put a heavy scope on it, bear with me), I'd end up with a 7.5 lbs rifle and scope, which in the long-range world is really light. Since I'm only looking to 600 yds, the more reasonable thing to might be to go with a 7-08 to save half a pound and lower the recoil. Lots of ways to look at it.

Bottom line boils down to the NULA being at least an MOA rifle, and from what I'm hearing it is. Decisions, decisions......

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Bottom line boils down to the NULA being at least an MOA rifle, and from what I'm hearing it is.

That's what I meant about the NULA not being the limitation.

A 20 oz. scope will feel top heavy on such a rifle. Do you need a bunch of magnification?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 20 oz scope on a NULA is what I call a Dolly scope..grin.

Like others mentioned the rifle will not be the limiting factor, sounds like your active with your shooting so I don't think that you will be either.

I'd go with a #2 cut to 23', Talley's and a 3-10 Leo with a M1 on top. And or a 6x36 Leo with a M1 on top.

I have a M70 built about so and it's a total rock star! or you could just build what I did and save a hat full of cheddar.

[Linked Image]

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Long and the short, if you used a M70 like this, used a McMillan Hunters Edge stock, did it with one piece bottom metal and then replaced the factory bottom metal with PT&G bottom metal. Then add Talley's and a scope like this you'll be at about 7.5 lbs or so.

The factory barrel on this rig cut to 23" and running 155 Scenars and R17 basically shoots in one hole. Same with 125's with R15.

And, it'll come in at about 1/2 the cost of the NULA.

Just a thunk.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Mark, that looks like a nice gun. They get real nice when they shoot.
You think that outfit with them 155's can kill a Bear this spring. <g>
Hope you have a good day.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
7wsm, capable at 600 for lots of game IMHO.

Rifle won't limit, but feather weigth is harder to shoot really well.

Shooter will be the limit.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The short Model 28 action doesn't weight 28 ounces. It's just called that because it is indeed a shortened version of the Model 28. As I recall it weighs around 25-26 ounces, but you should ask Melvin to make sure.

I would have no qualms about shooting at a big game animal at 600 yards with a NULA. The accuracy is there (usually closer to 1/2 MOA than MOA) and the way the rifle is built allows a stouter barrel contour than with heavier actions for the same overall weight. The weight-forward balance makes aiming pretty easy from a rest.

But I sure wouldn't put a 20-ounce scope on top. It simply isn't needed for 600-yard big game shooting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
A 20 oz scope on a NULA is what I call a Dolly scope..grin.

Like others mentioned the rifle will not be the limiting factor, sounds like your active with your shooting so I don't think that you will be either.

I'd go with a #2 cut to 23', Talley's and a 3-10 Leo with a M1 on top. And or a 6x36 Leo with a M1 on top.

I have a M70 built about so and it's a total rock star! or you could just build what I did and save a hat full of cheddar.

[Linked Image]

Dober

You really need to send that here,just to be sure it works at lower elevations....... whistle

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by DocGlenn
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at it from this point of view. My current LR rifle weighs in at 11lbs in 7WSM. No problem practicing with it. If I were to get a model 28 and put a 20oz scope on it (I know, why buy a light rifle and put a heavy scope on it, bear with me), I'd end up with a 7.5 lbs rifle and scope, which in the long-range world is really light. Since I'm only looking to 600 yds, the more reasonable thing to might be to go with a 7-08 to save half a pound and lower the recoil. Lots of ways to look at it.

Bottom line boils down to the NULA being at least an MOA rifle, and from what I'm hearing it is. Decisions, decisions......

To me, a 7.5 lb rifle isn't a lightweight rig, it's an average rig.

Try this......let Melvin build you a Model 20 in .284, put a Leupold 2.5x8 on top, and watch your 6 lb mountain rifle shoot 1/2 MOA!

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for the feedback guys. I know you don't have to have a high mag, heavy scope for a 600 yd shot. A CDS Leupy would probably get the nod and get better balance for the rifle. Good to hear that everyone thinks NULA's are sub MOA rifles. .284 win would probably be very nice. Thanks again!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Oh yeah Hammer, be out looking for one of this guys offspring...<g>

Dober

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have a Mod. 28 .300WSM, Mod. 20 .308, Mod. 24 .280 Ackley.

The heaviest is the 28 with a Leupie 3.5X10..right at 7 lbs

The lighest is the .308 at 6lb 1 0z . The Ackley is 6lb 4oz

My home range is 550 yards and I shoot all the NULAS fairly regularly. That said I dont consider any of them dedicated long range rifles...they just dont have the repeatable long range accuracy a dedicated heavy LR rifle is going to have.
Carefully prepared handloads help, but these are not bench rest rifles. Would I take a poke at a elk or deer at 550 or 600?

Yes I would if conditions were right to include the stability of the rest etc. ( and I couldn't get closer)Still would have to think about it as 600 in the field is diferent than 600 on the range. But for that kind of duty repeatable accuracy that is easier managed in a heavier rifle would be better. I.E. a tunned Remington sendero. I have a 17lb .300 ultra that will maintain 1/2 minute or less clear out to 1000yds for 10 shot groups. Total confidence to 600..but I am not going to pack that beast around. If conditions were not right would not take the shot with that either.

Everything is a compromise and NULAS are about the best all around LW hunting package there is IMOP.

Lefty C

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lefty-how many rounds down does your 28 handle (2 or 3) ?

Thx
Dober

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mark,
I believe it is two in the magazine for the WSM's

PS after Bob has checked your M70 at sealevel I will check it in the sage flats. Send it soon.

Last edited by RinB; 03/28/11.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thx-uno mas reason for me liking my M70, it'll take 3 down and I need all the help I can get..<g>

Dober

(U get that 24/06 project going?)

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The factory barrel on this rig cut to 23" and running 155 Scenars and R17 basically shoots in one hole.

My elk load Mark.

Nice rifle, will this one hunt elk this fall?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is a frogs azz water tight...? grin

Yepper it will hunt elk, and bruins this spring, and lopes this fall and bruins this fall and deer this fall and yotes next winter...grin

Kind of a easy gun to love.

4 giggles I loaded up some rounds with a load that Brad gave me for the youth to give a go. H4895 and a 150 Horn, gave it to a couple kids of a bud of mine (one's 11 and the other 13). Dialed in the M1 to the 434 gong and they beat the heck out of it smiling all the way. They said thx and asked when I'd have more ammo loaded for them.

Dober

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 50 invisible), 3,252 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,734
Posts18,535,293
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.