-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi, I have recently bought a Pedersoli rolling block 45-70 and would like to drum up a Black Powder load for hunting. First I need any info possible. I figure regular casings is fine, not sure what powder to use and type of bullet. My question is do I have to use a cast bullet or can I use jacketed or either? I am not sure the twist rate... It is between 1/18 - 1/20.. I need to find out for sure, but believe it is the 1/18. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Info on bullet type/shape for lead and or jacketed would help. My shots for hunting only about 150 yrds tops. Thanks

Last edited by smokey15; 03/30/11.

"real men use Savages-and wear mustaches"
[Linked Image]
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Well, Smokey,

Based on what you've posted.... I've never heard of anyone shooting black w/jacketed bullets. I'd guess that is a no-no! (Pressure concerns for one...)

A 1~18" twist is gong to require the use of heavy bullets. Likely 500 grainerers... frown Trust me, those recoil like the proberbial Missouri mule.. smile

I would question the sanity of desiring a rolling block, altho' they are not intrinsically bad... It's just that the Winchester Hi-Wall, is a better design. Several American companys import Italian made Hi-Walls that can be had for $800-$1000... I believe they are good, servicable rifles...

But if it's a rolling block that you want, then that's what you should buy. but figure on using cast bullets w/ black powder. The down side, is that it's a Bit@& to clean up after the shooting session. Cases should be dropped into white vinegar immeadiately after firing. Then washed and tumbled clean. Also, about every 5th shot down the tube, you should wipe the bore with a patch saturated with Windex. Improves accuracy, and makes the final cleaning much easier... smile Hope this helps...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Smokey15, drop down a few lines to the BPCR forum here at 24hr. You will find everything you need to know there. Including how to clean your rifle and brass. It is drop dead simple and easy.

Lead bullets will be the order of the day with blackpowder and a good starting load is a full case of bp a card wad and your bullet. That might be about 67-67 grs depending on bullet and seating depth.

Supplies at www.buffaloarms.com

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,358
Posts18,527,128
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.