Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
my cat died and i told our boys that the next animal we could get a dog. i never ever hear of hunting grouse with a dog. most just shoot them from the road on a chance encounter, but i like to seek the little guys out in the creek bed or a nice choked forest. we would like a smallish 15-25lbs maybe. any ideas on a pionter???

let me give you boys a lil' tip. you might wanna turn off that engine 'fore you go and change that there fan belt!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How much you willing to spend?

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a perfect grouse dog for you...one of my litter of Llewellin setter pups. They are just about ready to go off to good hunting homes, and the price is REAL Right! wink

Gramma...Ms. Scarlet loves ruffed grouse about as much as premium goodies.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

...and she loves quail, too. laugh

[Linked Image]

...and chuckar... whistle

[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OOOPPPSSS....

Mine will be far too big, as you want a 15-25 pound dog, and these are easily twice that size. Sorry for the mistake. blush blush blush blush

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'll give you a heads up. You normally can't buy a Grouse dog. Unless the stars lineup and you buy one already finished at the game, and those often are not for sale.

You make a Grouse dog and it takes a special dog along with time and birds.

There is no one breed. I've seen great English Pointers, English Setters, an English Springer, German Shorthairs, along with a small-almost tiny-Black Lab that you could put down in a Grouse woods that would hold his own for finding against the best, and would beat all but the mentioned Springer when it came to retrieving. That Springer if he kept going after the flush and shot, you might as well sit down and wait for him to comeback with a bird you didn't realize you hit. He was scary good, but he was born at the right time in the right place.

There are hunting Dogs then there are Grouse Dogs. The two are worlds apart.

Last edited by battue; 03/31/11.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I had a half lab/half American Water Spaniel that weighed around 35 lbs and was a fantastic grouse, pheasant and duck dog. I got her for free in Arlington, Washington in about 1981 and was told that both parents were hunting dogs. Boy howdy! With very little work (obedience and retrieving) she became a good hunting dog by her second season. I never taught her how to point, but after her third season if a bird didn't run, she would point it. After her third season she was a great hunting dog. I really wish I could have her back. She was a fantastic family pet as well. Now I live in the northeast and am thinking about looking at an American Water Spaniel again.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The mentioned Springer aka "Duffy" at around the age of 10 started to point-and hold for you to walk up-Grouse if he thought he was out of range for you to shoot. Inside 30yards he would ram them up with a mad rush that bordered on violent. He had the Bird, Dog, Gun circle figured out. Hardly ever wasted time with ground scent, and hunted with his head up much like a good pointer. I will never again own his equal.

Addition: He was good, but birds made him great. It was nothing to put up 30 plus Ruffed Grouse in a day of hunting or training. Birds have gone down in my immediate area and it takes birds to make a Grouse dog.

Last edited by battue; 03/31/11.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Potential" should be used in looking for a bird dog.

Plain and simple, all dogs don't hunt.

Some hunt better than others.

However if you buy from a Professional Breeder you will have the greatest Potential of getting a good dog.

After that training and putting the dog on as many wild birds as possible will create a great dog.

I can't stress putting a dog on as many wild birds as possible. Dogs that are hunted every season for weeks at a time, months on end will hunt, find and point any bird in the county. Getting out a few days durning the season just won't hack it.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
thanks muchly for the advice guys smile though im still not too sure on what to find as we like a lap dog too and it looks like most breeds are just a bit larger than we would like. i think when we finaly do find the "rite" dog, all hell is gonna break loose with the boys and ill be needing a few more shotguns smile

let me give you boys a lil' tip. you might wanna turn off that engine 'fore you go and change that there fan belt!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This one is a VERY good grouse dog, but doesn't cast as far as some retrievers do.
My son's GSP is a super dog as well, and will not bump a bird, he tends to cast short as well, not like the big rnanging dogs of the trialer types.
Ruffy dogs, IMO are better made from pointers and setters, especially in my country where cover tends to be tight.
Cat
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I have a perfect grouse dog for you...one of my litter of Llewellin setter pups. They are just about ready to go off to good hunting homes, and the price is REAL Right! wink

Gramma...Ms. Scarlet loves ruffed grouse about as much as premium goodies.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

...and she loves quail, too. laugh

[Linked Image]

...and chuckar... whistle

[Linked Image]

I don't think you can get any better than that for a great looking ( and hunting ) dog!!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Cat.

Ms. Scarlet is a once-in-a-lifetime dog...more than a dog, a companion.

I'm 64 now and have had bird dogs in my life for 61 of those years. I don't know what I ever did without her; I don't know what I'll do without her.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
http://members3.boardhost.com/coverdog/index.htm

That web site is where the Grouse and Woodcock field trialers will be found. Much info to be had.

For us it is Eng. Setters, we ran hoursback Pointers for 10 years but since 2003 we have gone with Setters. Our Grouse dog Ch.is small, 31# but she blows up nicely on birds.

As far as a lap dog you bet. She was with her trainer about 9 months out of the year for almost 4 years. 4 months in the spring and about 5 months in the fall. When she came home she didn't miss a beat. A perfect house dog after spending all that time in a kennel.

Was she the exception to the rule, don't know. But for us it's Eng. Setters from Field Trial grouse breeding. She feels at home either in the northern Wisconsin woods or on the N.E. Montana Praire.

M
M
I have a year old Brittany that shows huge promise as a great hunter. However, his behavior in the house has shown to be less than "dignified". He's a nice dog who longs to please...but he is just rough to have in the house because of his super high energy. As I look into the future, I am curious how the Llewellens are as a member of the family as well as a hunting companion. Any thoughts?

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
A female Brittany should fit the bill. A small 25 - 30 Lb pointing dog that should work well on Grouse. Mine does. They do have a lot of energy when young but with enough exercise they do fine in the house

M
M
My male Brittany at one year (and is fixed) still wants to chew up ANYTHING he can get hold of. That said, you are right about the exercise. On days when Rocket hunts or is run/trained...he's great. On days that he doesn't get out...Rocket would make the dog whisperer want to hang it up. My daughter's dolls quiver with fear on those days when the old boy starts pacing about the house...we have already had one Cabbage Patch Kid meet a terrible, tragic end at the hands (or teeth and paws if you will) of Rocketman. That said...when he calms down and when work lets up a bit and he/I can run more...the dolls and the other occupants of our home will breathe easier. Brits are great dogs, just wondering about the Llewellens. I have a VERY old Norweigian Elk Hound that is the Brittany's companion...I think he will always do better with another dog around, and I am thinking about the future when the old dog goes to the Happy Hunting Grounds.
Look forward to any feedback.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One key feature Llewellin wanted in his setters was a strong affinity in them with humans. They make wonderful family dogs and settle down well indoors. Outside they like to stretch their legs. My 7 y/o grandson and his big 2 y/o male, Cash, are connected at the hip. Cash and most Llewellins I've seen are not aggressive toward strangers. They are a lot like golden retrievers with a bit more spark. They get pretty serious in bird country and have pretty good noses on average.

Ms. Scarlet is a one man dog. She isn't aggressive, but she tends to get jealous easily.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E

[Linked Image]

Either a setter or a brittany will do a good job in the grouse woods. Britt is just a lot smaller.

Brittany does need exercise and lots of their own chew toys. The exercise needs to be daily and free running. Sometimes when they are young they need to go in a crate to calm down.

Last edited by ENorton; 04/03/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very cool photos above. smile

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I shot my first and only grouse over a Brittany.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,835
Posts18,478,075
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.