-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rick, the reason I asked was that many on here were claiming a couple years back that anyone who didn't support the war in Iraq were aiding and abetting our enemies and therefore were somewhat responsible for more troop deaths. In essence, they were saying that even though we had the right to free speech, there was a certain responsibility that came with it.

I understand we have different points of views here but I don't expect everyone to always agree with me.

Sorry Fox, I'm bowing out of the debate. Just wanted to answer Rick. Got a race to watch.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, this is amazing.

Do unto others....

The bottom line is that if Christians (and others) actually treated these extremists in the same way that they treat us, it would be a freaking bloodbath.

Sorry, but "the rules are for thee, not for me" does not fly with this guy.

Exhibit A: The freedom riders reaction to Fred Phelps

Exhibit B: The reaction of muslim religious leaders to the recent killings over a book.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the polite discourse, rrroae. The ability to disagree on political and religious issues in a public forum is another precious freedom we need to defend. Enjoy the race.

Rick

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by azcoues
I'm taking it as a given that the koran represents our bible - what do you think anyone in the muslim faith would do to our bible!

and even more apropos, if a muslim DID burn a bible, how many methodists and baptists would stage a riot, and burn down the local mosque, and kill the local muslims?

Answer of course..........NONE.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
djs
Certainly, the killers who did the actual killing are directly responsible for the deaths. But, inciting ignorant people to react (when you were told there would be consequences) just shows how ignorant or uncaring Pastor (?) Terry Jones is.

you remain clueless, and agenda driven. Sad..........

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
djs
Certainly, the killers who did the actual killing are directly responsible for the deaths. But, inciting ignorant people to react (when you were told there would be consequences) just shows how ignorant or uncaring Pastor (?) Terry Jones is.

you remain clueless, and agenda driven. Sad..........

I believe that someone is clueless...but, you may have to look in the mirror to find him. smile

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703806304576240643831942006.html

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see you are keeping your blind eye on the issue.

Here is a bit more, but of course it won't sway your dhimmi mind. John Hayward wrote the following

link
An enraged mob attacked the United Nations compound in Mazar-i-Sharif, Afghanistan, on Friday, after they learned of an eccentric Florida pastor who put the Koran on �trial,� then �executed� it with gasoline and matches. The provincial governor initially claimed this was a Taliban insurgent attack which used angry, but peaceful, demonstrators as cover. It turns out the mob was a lot more than just a smokescreen, but there are suspicious signs of a shadowy hand orchestrating the attack.

There seem to have been �seven to 15 insurgents� mixed in with the thousands of demonstrators who overran the compound, according to a Saturday report from the Associated Press. Knowledgeable U.N. personnel say �the killers spoke in a dialect not common to Mazar-i-Sharif.� Several of those arrested after the bloody riot proved to be from hundreds of miles away.

Automatic weapons were seized from guards who had been ordered not to fire on civilian crowds. Terrified U.N. workers were dragged out of hiding places and shot or decapitated. Three U.N. workers and four Nepalese guards were murdered. One of them was a woman, 53-year-old Lt. Colonel Siri Skare of Norway. The mob allowed U.N. personnel who could pass for Muslims to get off with a savage beating.

Many were quick to pin blame for the incident on Terry Jones, the Koran-incinerating pastor. Afghan President Hamid Karzai wants him �brought to justice.� The Associated Press says Staffan de Mistura, the top United Nations envoy in Afghanistan, �placed direct blame on those who burned a copy of the Muslim holy book in Gainesville, Florida, last month.� It took a while for the news to crawl into the barbaric mountains of Afghanistan, but clearly someone made sure they eventually heard about it, and took care to beef up the angry crowd with some high-octane imported killers.

�The demonstration was meant to protest against the insane and totally despicable gesture by one person who burned the holy Koran,� said de Mistura. He�s not Muslim as far as I can tell � his mother was Swedish and his father Italian � so it was awfully nice of him to throw that �holy� in there. It makes him sound so very sensitive, and submissive.

�Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of offending culture, religion, or traditions,� de Mistura continued. �Those who entered our building were actually furiously angry about the issue about the Koran. There was nothing political there.�

He couldn�t be more wrong on all of those counts. The United States should insist on his immediate relief from duty. No one with such a poor understanding of Western civilization can be allowed to serve as its envoy to the most savage and benighted corners of the Earth.

Freedom of speech most certainly and absolutely does include the freedom to be offensive, even the freedom to be dangerous. If everyone listening to free speech is allowed to veto whatever offends them, it is not �free.� Muslims say a lot of things that Christians, and especially Jews, find deeply offensive. Should they be allowed to censor Islam? If so, I suggest sending Steffan de Mistura into the most offensive corners of the Islamic world to impose those speech codes. The poverty of his understanding of freedom will quickly become apparent to him.

A �right� must be applied universally to be morally valid. The �right� to silence provocative speech cannot logically be universal. You can declare, as our Constitution does, that everyone is equally free to speak, but you cannot say that everyone is equally empowered to censor the speech of others. No one is interested in Terry Jones� list of unacceptable ideas that should be suppressed. None of the multicultural munchkins skittering through the halls of the United Nations cares what Christians, Jews, Hindus, or Buddhists find unacceptable.

Of course all of this is political, contrary to de Mistura�s assertion. Organized violence is inherently political. As noted above, there is clear evidence of planning and preparation for the Mazar-i-Sharif atrocity. The mob that killed those U.N. workers will not retreat to its caves and settle down, its bloodlust sated by a half-dozen human sacrifices. The point of their attack, along with Islam�s many executions of apostates, is to create a political climate of fear and submission. Their success can be measured by artistic expression voluntarily suppressed, from newspaper cartoons to episodes of South Park. It can also be measured in Swedish-Italian bureaucrats reverently speaking of the �holy Koran� and �Prophet Mohammed.�

If some Christian fundamentalists went off the rails because of the nasty caricature of trailer-park fundies in the recent Simon Pegg movie Paul, and burned down movie theaters, no one would even think about blaming Pegg for inciting the violence. Anyone who did so would find themselves ruthlessly purged from polite society. We are, however, putting up with a lot of people who blame an eccentric in Florida for the deaths of seven people in Afghanistan.

The success of violent, political Islamic extremism can be seen in the number of Westerners, and even Americans, who are willing to submit by surrendering their God-given right to be dangerous. They are demonstrating not just cowardice, but foolishness. What we are is provocative. Freedom is an outrage. Every word in the Constitution and Bill of Rights is dangerous as hell to totalitarians. The American spirit is a flame that has burned many tyrannies to ashes. All of the world�s monsters are wise to fear it.

Burning books is stupid. Burning anyone�s sacred book is stupid and rude. Granting murderers the power to strip us of the right to do so, as easily as they can slit a throat, is both shameful and insane.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
and from Victor Davis Hanson today,
I also have a sense, although it has never been quite so ordered by the Ministry, that a nut burning a bible is either artistic expression or a proper antidote to centuries of repression and so to be either applauded or ignored; but a nut burning a Koran evokes decapitations and murder and does so quite understandably � although I am never told quite why. Does it involve liberal paternalism and condescension: millions of Muslim radicals are captives of emotion and ignorant and thus not �like us,�so we must create much different standards for �them� that we don�t apply to others? We as adults laugh when symbols of Christianity are defaced in thousands of incidents; they as children naturally and understandably kill when one Koran is burned by one silly wannabe minister? Or is the Ministry�s fear that when Christ is satirized in a cartoon, no bomb shows up at the editorial office; when Mohammed is so caricatured, two do � and that because reporters are said always to be brave and publishers principled we cannot just admit to that?

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Which proves what? That good men can disagree without the snideness and "my bad axx, conservative weiner is bigger than your" game playing you and others seem to enjoy here?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Altjaeger
Which proves what? That good men can disagree without the snideness and "my bad axx, conservative weiner is bigger than your" game playing you and others seem to enjoy here?
Sam doesn't play games. Just sayin'...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I figured out a LOOONNNGGG time ago that whenever some idiot threatens or carried out disgusting acts by blaming you for something that was aid or done (not necessarliy to them however) thye are attempting to establish a measure of control over what you say and do. When and if you give in and accomodate them, they WILL have stablished a degree of control and they WILL push the envelope at every opportunity. It has been going on here for quite a while. It is called "Political Correctness". God forbid you should offend anybody regardless of how worthless a piece of schit they happen to be.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I figured out a LOOONNNGGG time ago that whenever some idiot threatens or carried out disgusting acts by blaming you for something that was aid or done (not necessarliy to them however) thye are attempting to establish a measure of control over what you say and do. When and if you give in and accomodate them, they WILL have stablished a degree of control and they WILL push the envelope at every opportunity. It has been going on here for quite a while. It is called "Political Correctness". God forbid you should offend anybody regardless of how worthless a piece of schit they happen to be.

+1

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Allow me to pursue this a bit further. there should NEVER be ANY legal prohibition to acts like the idiot preacher did,BUT if an individual walked up and decked his ass, it OUGHT to be OK and if any organization cut off all business or support to that church, it should be plenty OK too. DO NOT allow the murdering scum to establish ANY sort of control over any aspect of our lives and rights. Kill them.

Last edited by EvilTwin; 04/04/11.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Altjaeger

if you are supporting muslim rights and sensitivity over American's rights and sensitivity, then you are no longer 'good men'. Sorry if that offends.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
another interesting tid bit from the local news talk show. When the church group did the 'trial' of the koran, the jury was comprised totally of former muslims.
I wonder of that apostasy, unreported in the MSM but said to be known in Afghanistan, was the cause of the furor?

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think what the guy did is sort of silly and attention-whorish on one level, but as T.Lee says......this is about using the West's own sensitivities and institutions to bring about our destruction. Make it illegal to criticize the outrages of Islam....use our own legal system to silence those who try to stop the encroachments of sharia barbarism in Europe and the US.

these people go on murderous rampages on a fairly regular basis, the Rev. just happened to be this week's excuse.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you weren't quite clear with the term
"these people"

Steve

were you referring to the practioners of "Religion of Peace"?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
POC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Not a single person is excusing what these murderers did.

Not a single one.

The Reverend should have been able to foresee the likely affect this would have.

No, you're stating that Americans should piss on the 1st Amendment because someone might not like it 6000 miles away.

Would Germany have been justified in killing Americans pre WWII because of anti-Nazi sentiment in the U.S. at the time? Should American's have kept quiet for fear they might upset Hitler across the globe?

Exactly.

We, here in the U.S., have the FREEDOMS protected and guaranteed by the 1st Amendment.

WE have the FREEDOM to burn an American Flag, an Israeli Flag, a Soviet, Chinese, or Cuban, or Iranian flag... the Bible, the T'orah, the Q'uran.... to drop a Crucifix into a jar of piss and call it art... to make a cartoon with Hussein Obama looking like a [bleep], or "W" looking like Alfred E. Neuman, or Mohammed with a bomb for a turban....

WE have those rights. WE fought for, and continue to fight for those rights.

I will be DAMNED if some bunch of racist, sexist, sociopathic, psychopathic azzholes half-a-world away will dictate that WE should give up OUR rights because THEY can't like the fact that sometimes we will say or do things that THEY don't like.

Looking at it any other way is wrong, stupid, cowardly, and simply unAmerican.

If YOU want to give up YOUR rights because someone else might be offended by you exercising them, then by all means do so, and GTFO while you're at it (Canada will likely welcome you...).

Meanwhile, my response to them is a simple FOAD.

If they want me to give up MY rights, or say that any American should give up THEIR rights because THEY might not like the exercise of those rights, then those nutjob MFers better come on over here and try to force the relinquishment, because I damned sure ain't going to give up without a fight.

F'k 'em.

Best post yet!

If anything I state appears to be medical advice, I am not a doctor; be sure to contact your family physician before making any changes in your medical regimine.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+ a bazillion

life is a two way street

if I gotta put up with flag desecration and burnings

they can damned sure put up with a little Koran burning

or we can fight to the death

am thinkin that's gonna be the only logical result

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

326 members (17CalFan, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,028 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,451
Posts18,528,894
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.