Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'll be flying from Michigna to Ohare, and then on to Seattle where I'll arrive at 10:28 pm and have a layover until the flight leaves for Petersburg at 0700 hrs the next morning. Flight is booked through Alaska Airlines.

My question is, when I arrive in Seattle, do I have to retrieve my "checked baggage" (gun case) at that time and re-check it the next morning, or is it checked all the way through to Petersburg for me?

My buddy and I were just planning on hanging around and napping at the Seattle airport given the short amount of time between flights and were just hoping we wouldn't have to hassle with the checked baggage...

Thanks!
Keith

Last edited by frogman43; 04/05/11.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
How would we know that? You should request when you check your baggage to have it checked into your final destination. You realize they won't let you pick up a gun case and keep it with you in the secure area of the airport. So tell the agent when you check in what your final destination is.

Regards,

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I would call Alaska Airlines and request that your checked bags be checked all the way through to Petersburg. Tell them about the overnight in Seattle and get them to confirm that they can check the bags all the way through.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I will give them a call when they open up today....

I was just hoping perhaps someone on this forum had friends/relatives that had a similar experience.
Thanks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We always check our baggage all the way through, and we've had a couple of flights end up about like yours, that we just slept in SeaTac for 5-6 hours before the next leg...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Elf Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What others said, ( except maybe yogibear, he's a little cranky after his winters nap) request that the baggage goes all the way through.

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm having my doubts about them checking it through, but I could be wrong. Will be interesting to hear the results. Since there's no flights to Pburg at night, the guns will be sitting in some luggage area at Seatac all that time.

Seatac is a non-smoking airport, and a male voice announcement will tell you that over and over again. If you fly into an "N" gate, or "S" gate, you'll be in a fairly small terminal. There's more stuff in the main terminal, including an awesome food court. Gotta take the train to get there, be careful you don't accidentally go outside security. Although, if your eligible, the USO is outside security.

Brian

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Call Alaska Airlines and make sure. I've done it much longer than the alleged "4 Hours" distinctions, so it can be done. But you for sure have to arrange it first.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your baggage should be checked all the way thru. Check with the airlines at your departure point. Ak. Air is good on this kinda thing.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agreed, i've had several overnight layovers and my baggage was always checked through to my ending destination. I would still call them and make sure.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No matter what they tell you over the phone it will still depend on the actual agent when you check in for your flight...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If they don't allow you to check your bags through. Right next to the Alaska Air baggage claim area is a place called Ken's Baggage. They will store your stuff for a pretty nominal fee. On your return trip if you have a lay over you can also put a fish box in their freezer. I've done the sleeping on the floor thing in Seatac. It's not a ton of fun. It's worth the cash to have someone else watch your bags, or get a cheap hotel down the street and catch a few winks.

if you spend too much time in Seatac it'll take weeks to get:

"There is no parking in the red zone, the white zone is for active loading and unloading only."

Out of your head.

Deal with it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be laying over at Sea-Tac this coming Monday night and then laying over in Anchorage on Tuesday night prior to heading to Bristol Bay on Wednesday morning.

I do it all the time and check my bags all the way through.
I just do the layovers so I can visit a few pubs and friends along the way. You gotta do it that way, otherwise what are you gonna do with all that luggage and your guns at the Bush Company for christs sake?

If your layover at Sea-Tac happens to be this Monday, let me, I can direct you to the bars you can spend the most money at....

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thanks all. I called Alaska air, but the lady said I needed to contact the airline I would board first to double check, which is a regional carrier for AA. I couldn't get through to a real person, but will try again tody.

JeffA thanks for the advice, small world...I see you're from Ozello, FL. Grew up there as a boy...Spent MANY hours shrimping/fishing/camping there...spread my fathers ashes on the little point right there at the boat launch at the end of the road last year.....

Keith

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by frogman43
Thanks all. I called Alaska air, but the lady said I needed to contact the airline I would board first to double check, which is a regional carrier for AA.

Changing carriers might be a problem. I like the idea someone put forward of just dropping your bags off at that place next to Alaska air baggage claim. A lot easier to move around then and they will be safe. A LOT safer than sitting next to you while you're sound asleep. eek

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I won't be switching carriers in Seattle. I switch carriers at Ohare and they should transfer my luggage to Alska airlines with no trouble. I have AA from Ohare through to Petersburg....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd switch flights and not overnight in Seattle.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are a number of flights coming and going where you have no choice but stay overnight in Seattle, or somewhere even less convenient. Chances are very good they will be able to send them all the way to Petersburg, but if they can't, paying for them to stay next to the baggage area is pretty workable.

I spend a lot of time in Seattle, coming and going to places like Texas and Missouri, even though I can fly all the way on Alaska Airlines.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thanks all.....was away this weekend with my son fishing walleye over on the Detroit river....
Flights are all set, I have it down to about a 10 layover in Seattle....one month to go!
Keith

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I fly out of Detroit Metro on Northworthless Air (now Delta)non-stop to Seattle. I book the flight through Alaska Airlines and the baggage (rifle) gets shippped directly the next day to Petersburg while I sit in row 28. And I get a good night's sleeep in a nearby hotel. Shipping through O'Hare is too risky for me; huge airport with too many chances for it to get "lost" when luggage is swithced from plane to plane. Delta won't recognize your flight through to Petersburg on Alaska Air; don't know why, since they are partners. That is why I book directly with Alaska Air. They are great people to deal with & I can always talk to a real person....and not someone outsourced to Pakistan either! I have made 4 trips to Alaska this way.....try it next time. Hope this helps/ Chaz

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (Big1bud, beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 6 invisible), 1,427 guests, and 838 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,591
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.