Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I have built a really nice 25-06 to be my bean field rifle. The best scope that I own is a Leupold 3.5-10x40, Vari X 3. I can't afford to buy a new scope with target turrets and was thinking about getting a Stoney Point Knob for my Leupold. Do any of you use these Knobs and how do they work for you? Any thoughts appreciated.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I know that your money situation will not allow you to buy a new scope but what about sending the scope to leupold and getting an elevation knob installed through them, an M1 would only run you around 105ish and that counts your shipping to them.

Just a thought and it will be money well spent. I never have liked the SP knobs for anything, and the M1 or any other turret from leupold is much better quality IMO.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've used them on other brand of scopes and they did okay..

check out these guys site:

http://www.kentonindustries.com/

upscale but still reasonable.. decent choices, instead of one size fits all..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
send it in for knobs of the 2 options....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Keton industies are much better than SP for sure, something to look into, although they are damn near the same as the leupold knobs price wise.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
All things considered, I think I would send the scope back to have one or two installed at the factory. Should be cheaper than a new glass, and what you will pay for the Stoney Points will help off set the cost.

But, to answer your question, I have several SP Knobs on several Lupies which I use effectivly. I can get enough elevation with the glass on the 7mm, a 2.5x9, to get me to 700 yrds. And that`s one problem with the SPs`. You will run out of elevation at some point IME. That problem is caused by the internal travel in the SP Knob itself, not with the glass. Repeatability etc. of adjustment, come ups, will be in the scope, IME.
Otherwise it works fine, for $35..

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Going back to Leupold sounds like the way to go. I think I'll try the SP on my 3-9x50 Vari x 3(7x57) and save up for the leupold swap. I can play with that one to see if I like it, or not. Yeah, it's that tight right now. That will still give me plenty of time to have my 25-06 ready for november. The Keton knob looks sweet as well! AHHH, decisions, decisions! Thanks

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rost495
send it in for knobs of the 2 options....

YES

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
kenton is the way to go.
you tell em the clicks to the yardage's, and you get a turret back that has numbers correspondingly.
lasr says 500 yards, dial it to the 5, and so on.
i have one on my 300 rum and it works perfectly.

laser, dial, shoot, easy !

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by splattermatic
kenton is the way to go.
you tell em the clicks to the yardage's, and you get a turret back that has numbers correspondingly.

You swallow the greybull pill too? Too many variables in longer range shots to use yardage only.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
kenton is the way to go.

What happens when the laser says 837 yards and you are at 10,000 feet elevation with turrets that are based on sea level?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jwp475
kenton is the way to go.

What happens when the laser says 837 yards and you are at 10,000 feet elevation with turrets that are based on sea level?

That'd be like showing up for a sheep hunt with scuba gear, wouldn't it? You know they can and will make more than one of those knobs for you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ding, ding, work it out for where you'll be hunting and using it.

use the same rifle and load ? get multiple turrets or figure out any diff's., and apply when twisting ! count your clicks and forget you have numbers in special circumstances.

that's an easy fix, dahhhh...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
ding ding ding... get the knob in MOA or MIL and run charts or handheld instead of multiple knobs at multiple costs...

Much less complicated than lets see, 500 yards, less 3 clicks for altitude, one for humidity etc....

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
kenton is the way to go.

That'd be like showing up for a sheep hunt with scuba gear, wouldn't it? You know they can and will make more than one of those knobs for you.

MOA or Mil works any where under any and all condition and you only need the one. Why complicate things with having to have multiple turrets. The KISS pricipal is the way to gao and that is with Mil or MOA

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
kenton is the way to go.

Are you going to have 837 yards on your "yardage turret"? I don't think so

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y

You swallow the greybull pill too? Too many variables in longer range shots to use yardage only. [/quote]

ahmen to that statement.
in fairness however differences in evevation can cause considerable differences in click values.
different charts should be used when changing hunting locations where a major elevation change is a factor.
that said the read it and dial it theory sounds good but is just theory.
there is but one tried and true method.
use a spotter and listen to him.

as for the knob, plus 18 on sending it to leupold. ask for cost of 2 as opposed to just 1.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
no, but while getting to know your equiptment you will know, add or subtract a few clicks from a known reference point.

hey, it's all not set in stone, and anyone of us that shoot way out there know this.

i personally like to count clicks, and the marked turret on my rum is used in one place, and a known altitude.

all of us that shoot distance also have a pda or ? with a program, a wind meter, and any other gagdets to help.

anyone with out practicing, and learning the in's and out's of it, shouldn't be squezzing the trigger on an animal until they can do it out to where they fel confident on non living targets.

the marked turrets are great for the person who hunts the same place, at the same altitude, same , same, same... not the traveling hunter who encounters different conditions in unknown places.

and if one has a marked turret and conditions are not the same as for where it was made for, use your gagdets and count clicks.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Spotters are nice. But we never have them in LR competition, its all up to the shooter.... and we don't miss much or bad generally.

I"ll take a spotter any day though. Used one of my 4H kids in AK that invited me up.... he called it a bit low at 802... so I held spine and clipped spine. first one was a bit low, in the lungs....

When all you have is you, you at least take every variable out IMHO. And that means running the calcs or charts to verify it all, not just range and dial in yardage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MOA or Mil works any where under any and all condition

I doeknow jwp
Its hard to beat those high tech one third MOA clicks.
You know .333333......
made special by loopie. wink

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 270wsmnutt, 117LBS, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,261
Posts18,525,319
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.