-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It is considered a game bird and classed under the migratory act for Canada and the U.S., law is the same north or south. People do a little research they can find recipes for them to make them quite edible. Some folk are just too lazy to do it.
Some of these comments could be taken as meaning that because some people don't like deer meat, that in places where there are an excess of deer, such as some of the eastern states should change the law to let people shoot them and dump them ,too?
Same principle.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Actually, some damage permits prohibit making use of the carcass. Never understood that.

Maybe some of the guys here who actively work deer damage permits will chime in.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
as far as preparing goose I was told to throw a shoe and a snow goose into the fire, and take the shoe out and eat it....

joe

Providing digital marketing services for startups & small-to-midsize companies - including website design/hosting, videography and editing.

www.jolinmedia.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jones, I don't know.....even coon asses, who will eat about anything, have to work real hard to make snow goose edible. it can be cooked into a gumbo.....but if you're shooting a hundred of them, who really has the ability to make a couple of oil drums full of gumbo with it.

Baking it like "good goose" is out of the question.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Monkey_Joe

Snow geese - commonly known as sky carp

Yeah, that's TFF. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
BC was lamely trying to suggest that BC has been tarnished by the acts of a American outfitter. He,of course, doesn't address the Canadian hunters involved or the numerous posts and videos posted on the 24 impugning those who unethically poach,including those committing Canada game violations.

It was a post which once again proves he is a master of the "Epic Fail"

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I live in Saskatchewan right on the "flyway"...

I'm thankful for every American hunter that travels here to spend their hard-earned money in my community hunting geese/ducks.

However, there is a lot of "waste". Apparently, some guys like to shoot the birds more than eat them. I am the on the B.O.G. (Director) of our Food Bank and almost every day we receive calls from non-resident hunters trying to "donate" their snow geese- so they can shoot more without running against the total possession limit. We can not (by law) accept unprocessed game to distribute to our clients. What are we going do? Hand some 17 year-old mother of four a dead goose and say, "Good Luck!"

Furthermore, our clients also hold no love for taste of snow geese. They'd much rather have Kraft Dinner- which is a whole different discussion.

It's sad when I read forums and see traveling hunters say that they get rid of their snow geese by "donating" them to the Food Bank- because, "Those people really like the taste of Snow Geese." (they don't)

What they really mean is that they left 6 garbage bags of dead geese slumped against the door of the Food bank at 4am and then took off for the morning hunt. They then have the nerve to pat themselves on the back for doing society some sort of favour...

"After consulting an RCMP forensics expert, the federal tribunal officially published its verdict online this week, decreeing that Megatron, leader of the Decepticons, is definitely not a replica firearm."

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Seems like most people don't eat waterfowl. One reason I don't hunt ducks and geese, I don't want to eat them. Know a guy that boasts about shooting ducks, then dumping them, and he thinks its funny.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Best way I've found to cook them is stewing them, making gravy, and eating them over biscuits. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rock, could you detail this stewing process a bit?

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Since when did we get to pick and choose which game laws we will obey?I must be in the minority here,but 45 years ago my grandfather taught me "if you're not going to eat it,don't shoot it".I've tried to live up to that,and I'm afraid that I don't have much use for people who waste game.If you want to practice shooting go to the trap range.I've seen many piles of wasted birds in Saskatchewan,lots of them before the expanded snow goose limits came in.Some were breasted out,most not.Its a disgusting sight,and I don't care who does it residents or nonresidents they should be busted. Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Saskabush
What are we going do? Hand some 17 year-old mother of four a dead goose and say, "Good Luck!"

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Beggars can't be choosers sort of thing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Monashee
Some were breasted out,most not.Its a disgusting sight,and I don't care who does it residents or nonresidents they should be busted. Monashee

Breasted out game birds are commonly accepted as utilized in most areas that I know of.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Monashee
Since when did we get to pick and choose which game laws we will obey?I must be in the minority here,but 45 years ago my grandfather taught me "if you're not going to eat it,don't shoot it".I've tried to live up to that,and I'm afraid that I don't have much use for people who waste game.If you want to practice shooting go to the trap range.I've seen many piles of wasted birds in Saskatchewan,lots of them before the expanded snow goose limits came in.Some were breasted out,most not.Its a disgusting sight,and I don't care who does it residents or nonresidents they should be busted. Monashee

Have you ever killed a coyote, fox, crow or prairie dog? How did they taste?

We all know it was against the law and they were fined $4200 for it. Here's the rub. You can't beg hunters to kill as many of them as they can so they don't eat all the tundra (or what ever they eat up north) then bitch when they end up in a ditch.

Its kinda like the rancher that bitches about his cattle breaking legs in prairie dog holes but refuses to let anyone kill prairie dogs. It just does not make alot of sense.

Dink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
when the F&G authorizes and encourages wholesale slaughter with any method, and undoes all the normal safeguards to protect waterfowl, and seeks nothing more than the killing of as many snows as possible, seems like they've taken them off the game list and put them on the varmint list.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
But that's not what the law says Steve.Maybe the law needs to be changed but until it is edible(barely!)game birds may not be discarded.And yep I shoot coyotes and don't eat em'.They aren't game animals and weren't on Grandad's list!Breasted birds are not wasted,I don't know anybody who would pluck a snow goose.They don't taste great although they do make good sausage.That's the reason I don't shoot them,I concentrate on dark geese.Throwing them away shows little respect for the game you are hunting. Mopnashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,213
Posts18,485,446
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.