-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've notice a few wholesellers have the 336Y again in the mid $300 range.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have not seen one listed that low. Most are getting a premium due to demand.
I bought mine at Bass Pro in Ft Lauderdale, when they came out in 2003. I went to buy a Winchester 94 that they had in their flyer, but they were out of those 15 min after they opened the doors.
I was pizzed, since it was a 50 mile drive for me to get there, and asked if they could give me a substitute.
There was one 336Y in stock, and the store manager let me have it for the $265 advertised price.
Being a 'youth' model, the LOP was short for me, so I added a one inch Walnut spacer on the butt.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
wholesale is $352

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
you will be hard pressed to find one at wholesale. Bud's, as cheap as it gets, has them at $389.
Short supply items are always sold at a premium.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Most of the time I post the wholesale price so you know how much dealer markup is.

IC B2

J
J
Are they walnut stocked like the Spikhorn was a few years ago or did they cheapen it up with the hardwood stock?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I saw a new one at $400 locally but it had the no grain, press wood stock. Also found an original one with pretty walnut and a Nikon scope for $700...seems high.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I'm think I'm going to buy one for my son for Christmas. He'll be 10 in a few months. Here in New Yorkistan he can hunt small game when he's 12 and big game when he's 14. We shoot as often as we can. He shot my 336 35 Rem. with XS Ghost Ring Sights last week and loved it. The recoil didn't bother him but the gun is just to big for him. I think the 336Y in 30-30 Win. will be just the ticket. The wild boar population has been growing rapidly here in Central New Yorkistan the last few years. There is no season on them and they're not protected so all you need is a valid small game licence to hunt them. Plus they can be hunted year round.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
NYH1,
This is the first I've heard of wild hogs in huntable numbers in NY. Where do you live, in the Finger Lakes area? How long have they been in your area?

Bob

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
RS308MX, I'm in the Syracuse area. There is a game farm/hunting preserve between Preble and Scott in northern Cortland County that the DEC and land owners/farmers say caged wild boar escaped from. It's pretty much a release and shoot type of gig, I guess they have about 2000 acres. A good friend of mine hunted and shot one on that game farm/hunting preserve 7 or 8 yeas ago. He shot a 300 pounder at about 100 yards with his model 70 300 WSM. . . . .bang flop. You can see them in their cages when you drive by the place.

They've spread north and south of the farm area staying on the east side of Interstate 81 for the first few years. However, the last few years they've been seen on the east side on 81 too. They're throughout northern Cortland County and southern Onondaga County. They've been seen in Tully, Fabius, almost up to Lafayette, down in Truxton, Homer, Little York and east towards Moravia A few years ago on opening day of the southern zone gun season a half dozen or so were shot. They're not as abundant as they are in the southern or western states, but their out there.

The worst thing is the DEC and the land owners/farmers have complained about how much damage they do to their land, fences, ponds, crops ect. However, the DEC won't help hunters hunt them. My friends and I have called them time and time again. They just tell us the rules on hunting them (which we already know) and that's it. The land owners/farmers won't let hunter on their land to hunt them. As you probably know, there are laws in NY that protect land owners from hunters getting hurt on their property even when they let hunters on their property and makes hunters responsible for any damage they do to their property. I'm sure they could even have some type of waver protecting them even more. It makes a lot of us hunters that are more then willing and want to hunt them shack our heads.

Anyway's my son along side me with a 336Y 30-30 Win. and me with my 336C 35 Rem. hunting in the warmer months a few years from now sounds awesome. wink

Last edited by NYH1; 07/20/11.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks for the reply. You would think that farmers would welcome hunters willing to kill hogs. It is only going to get worse. You would also think the farmers would know about the liability laws concerning hunters on their land. If they lease land to hunters however the law is void and they need to carry a lot of liability insurance. This encourages free access to hunting land. I suppose they will be in my area before too long. I guess PA has a good number of them now. I reckon it's only a matter of time before I get one in the sights of my .308 Marlin Express! I would love a freezer full of pork and venison. smile

Fall seven times, stand up eight.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,649
Posts18,493,382
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.