Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Tonk
I have answered this type of question for the last 12 years on the internet forums and I am not changing horses in the middle of the stream!

Yes, I use Remington Core-Lokts and Hornady bullets around my area and in the state I live in hunting deer and those varmints & predators. Deer are very thin skinned animals and certainly not tuff to bring down.

However, I sure as heck am going to use a premium bullet for when I spend big bucks on an out of state hunt or one on another continent gentlemen. It is simply the cheapest form of an insurance policy a hunter could possible purchase. Only common sence would dictate to any hunter, that when one spends several thousand dollars on a hunt, it is fools play to not spend an extra 50 cents on a frigging premium bullet.

Not meaning to pick on anyone but I hear this reasoning for using premiums all the time. In my opinion this is the strongest sales pitch that is used to sell premiums today. It used to be "because standard cup&core bullets cant handle magnum velocities". Now "its cheap insurance". I have killed and seen lots of game killed from deer, sheep, goats, caribou, elk, and moose. Most of them killed with standards. I've wounded game with standards and premiums. There is no insurance for a bad shot, so I really dont buy into that logic. I agree about using a bullet designed to do what you want and finding one that works in your rifle.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Eremicus
A couple of things about Cor-Loks. First, the pointed versions aren't the same bullet that Jack O'connor used so effectively on the grizzlies he shot. They don't have the hour glass shaped jackets anymore that locked their cores. But apparently the round nose versions still do. I've never seen the round nose versions for sale to handloaders.
Under unusual conditions, the premiums do make a difference. I've seen the little 95-100 gr. Nosler Partition break some very heavy bone and still punch a hole in the critter's lungs. Something the same Cor-Loks won't do.
Some premiums also do a much better job of staying on course and killing when they hit brush on the way to the animal. I understand the law enforcement community now uses the Federal Throphy Bonded ammo for some hostage situations. That's because when shot through angled window glass they stay right on course. Something the Sierra Match Kings don't do.
It's your call. I have a strong tendency to pick bullets that work at any angle, under any conditions that I'm liable to shoot. That will seldom include the more fragile designs. E

I'd be impressed if there were some proof of that. Of course every gun writer I've ever read says any bullet will deflect.......

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A couple of things about Cor-Loks. First, the pointed versions aren't the same bullet that Jack O'connor used so effectively on the grizzlies he shot. They don't have the hour glass shaped jackets anymore that locked their cores. But apparently the round nose versions still do.

I believe that is true. The RN 180's in 30 caliber and the 150's in .270 are anything but fragile but at the same time they expand quickly enough to knock the stuffing out of a coyote. A few years ago an old hunter turned me on to them and I have been using them ever since.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Under unusual conditions, the premiums do make a difference. I've seen the little 95-100 gr. Nosler Partition break some very heavy bone and still punch a hole in the critter's lungs. Something the same Cor-Loks won't do.
Could you please expond on this? Are you talking about Texas heart shots? I have no experience with those but have seen each and every Cor-Lokt that I have experience with seeing broken shoulders and devestated heart/lung damage. That includes a half a dozen black bears taken out of our 2008 camp. Cor-Lokt's were the stated choice of the outfitter and the results that I saw were impressive and proved why the outfitter advised his hunters to use them. On that hunt I used 180 Speer Mag Tip. I missed the shoulder and hit the bear right behind the shoulder with a high double lung shot. Complete pass thru with one rib broken on entrance and three broken ribs on exit. Not bad results as far as I'm concerned. As I said, deer can be easily taken with great results from cup and core bullets, assuming good shot placement. When it comes to less than ideal shots, I have no experience so I cannot comment. I did have a friend hit a big whitetal right in the hind quarter with an arrow. The deer took a few steps, looked around, started to weave and dropped dead. Severed artery killed the buck. I have also used Nosler Partitions with great success and have great respect for them.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Depends on the bullet. The Federal/Speer Throphy Bonded bullets have most of their weight in the nose. That's why in LEO tests, they stay on course when passing through window glass. The Sierra Matchking, on the other hand, has most of it's weight in the butt. And that's why they deflect easily.
From what I've seen, Nosler Partitions deflect all right, but since they stay together, they have more left to kill with when they get to the target. I've made two such kills. One was a 175 gr. NP that hit the target where aimed already expanded. Blew right through the heart for a rapid kill. The other was a 300 yd. shot with a 140 gr. NP. Deflected off course and missed the shoulder. But did penetrate the near thigh and open up the femoral artery. Buck was bleeding profusely and struggling on three legs when finished with another shot. E

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I don't see what role a corelokt would play in my hunting. Sure it would "work", but so much better is out there. If I want to fling a cup and core, it's going to be a high BC bullet that will absolutely bughole out of my rifle.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My wife and I have a safari hunt planned in sept. this year. We will be going to Namibia on a plains game hunt with Kudu, Gemsbuck, Red Hartebeest, wildebeest and several smaller animals on the list. In order to eliminate a lot of hassle and worry, we picked an outfitter that provided guns and ammo. I was concerned that my wife who is rather small framed would not be able to handle the gun choices she would have there but Jan said that he had several calibers with different weight bullets. His reccomendation was his 270 with 150 Rem. Core Loks. If they are good enough for him and the animals he shoots on a regular basis, then I think they are fine for anything here other than maybe bear.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Calm down everyone. Corelokts work fine and are accurate, provided the shooter is up to it and barrel is capable. There's a good reason they've endured this long. Are they a Nosler Partition? Of course not, but you're not paying Partition. For the money they're a terrific value.

Jason

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I shot a whitetail at about 30 yards with a 308 w/150 Corelokt behind the shoulder, classic shot. It then went thru the deer then thru the side of an oak tree and kept going. I've shot deer at that distance many times with other bullets with no pass thru. My buddy shot thru a small pine tree in Maine with a 180 corelokt, 06, and dropped a huge whitetail, at 15 yards. Tuff bullet in our limited experience of 42 years, yikes. Naturally your results may vary.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Core-Lokt on the left, NPT on the right. same weight when launched, same cartridge, and same species.

i'll pay the extra $$

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jayman_10x
Calm down everyone. Corelokts work fine and are accurate, provided the shooter is up to it and barrel is capable. There's a good reason they've endured this long. Are they a Nosler Partition? Of course not, but you're not paying Partition. For the money they're a terrific value.

Jason

Couldn't agree more. Though I have dabbled with premiums Core Lokt's are excellent bullets for their intended use. If I were a subsistence hunter, I'd choose Core Lokt's over any other.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by toad
Core-Lokt on the left, NPT on the right. same weight when launched, same cartridge, and same species.

i'll pay the extra $$

[Linked Image]

Your picture proved nothing; you qualified nothing. In fact, a bullet resembling the Corelokt may equate to a success more often than not. I have hunted for over 20 years and have had great success with the bullet. Again, it's a great value. Would I shoot a brown bear in the shoulder at 50 yards with one? Of course not. Would I use it for my annual venison supply at reasonable shooting range, with a bullet correctly placed? Of course I would, and most experienced hunters would concur. Nothing substitutes for sound bullet placement and careful stalking within range.

Now go peddle your silly pictures somewhere else.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Jayman...

You're an idiot.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I just got in from the shop cutting a 30 cal 180gr pointed CL and a 30 cal 180 gr round nose CL. The round nose has a thicker jacket. These were pulled from two boxes 30-06.

Rick

Life is not a spectator sport, get out and have fun.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by toad

i'll pay the extra $$

[Linked Image]
How did you get that species to hold still long enough to recover that core lokt that failed? That picture doesn't tell the size of the species, where each bullet hit, distance of the shot, etc. etc. etc. Jayman, you are not an idiot. An idiot would take for gospel everything they read and see on an internet forum. You have been found guilty of being a bit doubtful of one picture on the internet. That's it. That's all. That does not make you an idiot.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
He never said it failed. He did say which he preferred and I think he was using the picture to show why he prefers what he does.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jayman_10x

Your picture proved nothing; you qualified nothing.

Now go peddle your silly pictures somewhere else.

Geee...... frown

I doubt Toad intended it to be the last word on bullet performance but it certainly illustrates(for those who might not have experience with both bullets)that a CC bullet will sometimes slip core and jacket in tough going(no secret).....and a Nosler Partition will expand back to the partition wall, where expansion will stop.......(also no secret)...

All this may not have any effect on whether the animal dies......but then again, it might....someday....somewhere...on something....

If I were hard pressed and needed factory ammo for a hunt(unlikely),I'd grab factory fodder with CoreLokts and Talley Ho! grin

And would be twice as happy with a box of Corelokt Ultra's in the same weight.....

I always figured jackets and cores were meant to sorta stay more or less together....otherwise, the makers would have sold them to me in seperate boxes.... smile

But if stuffing hulls for a hunt across the continent,the Corelokt just would not make the short list....like Calvin says,they just don't fit into the game plan.

Toad thanks for your efforts in posting the picture. wink

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/09/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have alot of experience with the CoreLokt 200 gr. in .35Rem and have grown to like that bullet on deer.

We were shooting so many pigs off of farm land years ago, that I got a little lazy about reloading and tried to save me some time, So I bought some Corelokt 165's in 30-06 and 120's in 25-06.

Fragmentation was a problem, especially with the 120's. Piggies ran alot.

Got off my duff and went back to loading Partiions and once again, they quit running as much or as far. We had to remove all these pigs from the fields and alot of this was done at night, so taking time to find a runner sucked and you would have to move to another location after tracking him and dragging the pig out.

I'm sure the corelockt would have worked fine on deer, just never used them for that.

JM

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
From what I've seen with core lokt's the heavy for caliber ones work very well.

Last edited by thumbcocker; 04/09/11.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DeerSkinner
I just got in from the shop cutting a 30 cal 180gr pointed CL and a 30 cal 180 gr round nose CL. The round nose has a thicker jacket. These were pulled from two boxes 30-06.
The round nose works really well.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1minute, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,686
Posts18,513,509
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.