Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just a tad on the anxious side but I know why....

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
lol, what pigs

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just the way those Southeast boys roll...

I'll be working Togiak Bay for Herring this season, We'll keep the bottom of the boat under water not the top....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm sure more than one had a pucker factor moment with a oddball expletive being said before she got righted.

Not sure how many times that happens but glad it worked out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hope I don't sound like a complete DA here, but,What happened to cause the boat to list? Too much in the nets?

The beatings will continue until morale improves
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Had my own herring rodeo tonight.. Didn't roll the boat though.

[Linked Image]

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by captbutch
Hope I don't sound like a complete DA here, but,What happened to cause the boat to list? Too much in the nets?

Combination of errors and failed gear, you bet the nets are heavy, but he was closing them up, not picking them up..

I'd personally have issues with that hull, it just looks a bit to flat-bottomed for my liking. Thats what made it just lay there on it's side, it couldn't roll back over on its own without assist due to design.

There were no related injuries and they had plenty of support from the tenders and thats always a good thing...

Originally Posted by Calvin
Had my own herring rodeo tonight..

There you go biting into the commercial quota...:-)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
Had my own herring rodeo tonight.. Didn't roll the boat though.

Guys have told me that powdered milk in a salt brine helps set the scales. Any truth to that?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffA

I'd personally have issues with that hull, it just looks a bit to flat-bottomed for my liking. Thats what made it just lay there on it's side, it couldn't roll back over on its own without assist due to design.

Nope, that boat was not unable to roll back due to design... It clearly is well beyond it's design list and at that point has more righting moment out of the water than any more-rounded hull configuration. That snap-acting hull design had far more self-righting forces at work, but they were canceled by being anchored to the bottom, or hanging too much off the side.

Those flat bottoms are great for flat calm water but when it gets rough they work too hard, too fast at leveling up.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Nope, that boat was not unable to roll back due to design... It clearly is well beyond it's design list and at that point has more righting moment out of the water than any more-rounded hull configuration. That snap-acting hull design had far more self-righting forces at work, but they were canceled by being anchored to the bottom, or hanging too much off the side.

Those flat bottoms are great for flat calm water but when it gets rough they work too hard, too fast at leveling up.
art

What's all this fancy "righting moment" talk? You take Naval Architecture?

I took both NA and Ocean Engineering at UW - both very interesting courses. Some serious math problems in OE. I remember drawing ship lines and cross sections by hand.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Spent more than a little time studying boat design, though not Naval Architecture... I was also a pre-CAD dinosaur.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Now you're just a Cad?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for the promotion!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Anything to hep ya!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Saw a seiner go turtle up in Togiak once. I think it was '90 or somewhere in there. Huge set, waiting on tender, tide got them and they went out around the spit, off the shelf and herring either sounded or died and sank. If I remember, it was nice tin boat from Kodiak called the "Orca".

They had a giant set in '88 or so too, but saved it, and it went 12% or so, and of course the price was crazy that year.

Oh, the memories!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A good friend was a Togiak pioneer and stillfishes herring every year a few places. Had a $600,000 set there back in the day...

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
What a shytshow that scene was! Bumper seiners? Jayzus!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 70 invisible), 3,045 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,109
Posts18,483,299
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.