Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Vigo
Thanks for the post, with all of this 19 talk I had to dig mine out for a look. She is in pieces and I really should devote a little time to getting her up and running again. My number is 5650 and definitely has a much smaller ejection port than your rifle. The rear peep is missing a few parts but pretty sure yours would have/could have looked much the same. Another interesting fact is the early rifles had double firing pins.
Wondering when the ejection port was opened up?

Attached Images
MVC-009S.JPG (39.07 KB, 146 downloads)
MVC-010S.JPG (38.94 KB, 79 downloads)
MVC-011S.JPG (38.62 KB, 76 downloads)
MVC-012S.JPG (39.11 KB, 91 downloads)
MVC-013S.JPG (38.1 KB, 99 downloads)

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
GB1

V
Vigo Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Some more shots. I pulled the butt plate and everything matches-- butt plate number, stock number, receiver number. There are two large "1"s stamped in the stock away from the serial number. What do they mean?

Here are some pics from tonight after cleaning up the rifle a bit further. I'm not sure about the ejection port question, this rifle seems to be all matching parts, but with some different features than normal.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Vigo; 04/09/11.
V
Vigo Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Is it alright to shoot the modern HV .22 LR in these, or is that too "hot" and I should avoid it?

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
In my experience the HV stuff will not shoot well anyway. CCI has a standard velocity ammo that does ok Personally I shoot the federal bulk pack ammo with pretty good results. Although I'm finding the CZ I wish to shoot does not like the federal. Wondering what others are using.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have shot thousands of rounds of Winchester 37 gr. High Speed hollow points in my 23AA, which has a similar action, and never had a problem. Ground squirrels, jackrabbits, and crows have had some, tho....

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your rifle was produced about 1920 and before the HV round was developed. I don't think a few HV's will hurt but I would stick with Standard or Subsonic rounds. The CCI Std Vel is a good choice and can be bought in the 100 rd plastic at Walmart or in 50 rd paper at Dick's(sometimes) or on line Dunn's (out of stock right now) . CCI Subsonic is another good round. Each rifle has its likes and dislikes and you sometime just have to try different rounds to find out.

The 23AA is a later rifle (after 1932) and will handle HV with no problem.

CTW, you might try Blazers. They have been getting better reviews than the Federals lately.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

V
Vigo Offline OP
OP Offline
V
CCI Standard Vel will be my next stop-- have to locate some locally.

I have found a rear sight for the gun (single screw peep type). I probably will need a new front sight if I want to use the original peep type, as the current front was filed down to match the open sights in the back. What front sight types will work with the rear peep? I've seen both stock blade and some globe sights used, but I haven't seen a list of which sights work.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Personally I would install a Lyman 17 globe front sight and not look back.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
V
Vigo Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Interesting-- would a Globe like that work with the #5 Peep in the back?

Also, would some of the more common Savage 99 blade sights work, like the ones you see for sale with a white dot or gold bead?

Last edited by Vigo; 04/12/11.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes.

With which sight? Of course a blade will work with an aperture sight as well as a v-notch. All depends on blade height as to whether or not you have sufficient elevation adjustment in the rear sight for the work you want to do with it. The style of front sight will also be dictated by the work you intend to do with it. For fine target work, you almost need the flexibility that the inserts for the 17A will give you. If tin can plinking or the occasional squirrel is the only task at hand, then the beaded blades are fine, but won't allow you to wring the nth degree of accuracy out of it.

That all hinges on whether or not the front sight is dovetailed to the barrel, although I can see how a 17A can be adapted to blade front sight boss.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I've got a single screw No. 5 peep sight mounted on my Savage 19 and it doesn't provide a lot of precise adjustment. Also, be careful with the small spring that applies tension against the windage knob as it is very delicate and easy to break - especially considering that all the early one screw sights are probably about 80 to 90-years old by now. Savage use to list a blade type front sight for this rifle - you still may be able to find one if you dedicate yourself to a mission of scrounging through parts cans and tool boxes at gun shows.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

V
Vigo Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I'm now fairly certain the checkering and stock are factory. The stock number matches the serial number of the gun, and the Savage catalog of that era describes "fancy" stock as an added cost option. I also looked through the catalog and found that the factory offered checkering in the pattern on this gun as another added cost option, with an example of it as done on a Savage 99.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since checkering would have been a special order option, I wouldn't assume that it is factory unless I had a factory letter stating it to be so. Lots of people in the past 90 years have cut checkering in a non-factory environment. It is a great looking rifle and if is was mine, I would install the correct receiver/peep sight and call it good. My 1919 NRA and 19-33 shot good groups with RWS Rifle Target.

JEff

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (264mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 1,863 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,058
Posts18,521,375
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.