Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BradArnett
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by BradArnett
Jeff, if it were me I'd re-barrel your heavy 223 you have now with a 1-8"tw 20-22" barrel in a mountain rifle contour to a sporter contour, whichever balances out how you like . Trip the HS stock, and take-off barrel that's on it now, then put it in a TI stock. You wouldn't be out much money going that route at all. At least that is what I would do.

Hey Brad!

Well... barrel is $400 minimum installed if I use a "real barrel", Ti stock is $225 or more (new). There's $625 out of pocket. I'll admit I have no idea what the used value of the HS stock I have is.... $250 maybe? Anyway about $400 out of pocket.

Or, I sell the one I have, get a SPS plus about $100 left over, retube and I'm about $300-350 out of pocket. I'd just run the plastic stock most likely (I know, I know...) grin

The Ti stock I bought on here last week was 130$ to my door.

So 400 for the rebarrel, less the 250 from the stock, less the 75 for the take off barrel puts you at 75$ out of pocket on the barreled action. Also don't forget about selling the bottom metal if you went with an ADL stock. Then to just find a stock. If you would be happy with just factory plastic I'd give you one for cost of shipping and you'd be up and running. grin

To me it would be worth it to end up at 100-300$ out of pocket for a rifle that is spec'd out exactly like I would want. But that's just me.

Yeah, if I go the M700 build route, it'll eventually end up "just so". Which is a nice place to be!

As to the stock it comes down to function. If it shoots in the Tupperware, screw it, I'm done unless a good deal on a Ti comes up. My .338 has a plastic stock and shoots lights-out; it's possible.

Still bleeding on my Kimber rebarrel so trying to keep this one cheeep. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
HR IC

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I don't think you'd be disappointed in the Tikka. If you are, you can sell it at very little loss.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by MikeNZ
My Tikka T3 1 in 8 won't stabilize the 75 A-Max. It wasn't a particularly hot load, but they were tumbling nicely.

Are you sure it is an 8? Tikka sells a 12 and 8 twist. If it is indeed an 8, I would crank up the velocity and see what happens...

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Anything Remington is a poor substitute for Tikka/sako quality period. You go with Remington, you've accepted a project and need to expect to finish what big R didn't. You buy Tikka/sako you put a scope on it and go shoot. End of story.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
With personal bloodlines back to Norway, a Finnish rifle is fine by me. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tikka sucks heavy ass. If they didn't,I've have a herd.

You ain't smart enough to listen however and that never ain't not the best part of your "thinking". Schit is as easy as you make and I very much enjoy that you are totally powerless to connect them dots.

In fairness,I do getta kick outta how you build totally devoid of even a first clue and focus on schit chamberings and schit boolits,as a culmination from which to reliably eek schit results.

Hell...great time to build an extrapolation chart and pretend you've a clue,as it'll take quite a bit to top the humor you've already accidentally extolled.

Erase your brain,take notes and apply same...so you've at least one skookum utility tool,which you'll shoot more than the rest of the goatphucks combined.

That'd be an extry large Hint,though I do hope you listen to folks as stupid as you,like Blackheart.

Laffin'...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well look who's back. What a pleasure.

Chances are better than even that I'll go the M700/retube route, as much for commonality with my hunting rifles as anything else. In fact, at this point that's the plan. Being able to get the throat right would be a big plus also. Plus then I can AI the thing to be extra-cool.

But what don't seem to penetrate your head is that this is just a toy for me. There's nothing- NOTHING- I want to hunt with a .223. I'm not a varmint hunter. I'm not a predator hunter. And I'm not interested in hunting deer with a .223.

I get that you & yours use them with success for those things and that's cool and all. I get that you drag yours all over AK, so the plastic & DBM aspect of the Tikka is a deal killer. Those things aren't real relevant to me. This is purely a fun gun. The Tikka has a good trigger, is at least twisted right (though the mag/throat thing is a concern for sure), they are unanimously reputed to shoot, and they are cheap. Mostly all good things in a "fun" gun.

The Tikka .223 I shot the other day was just stacking 'em with BH factory ammo, and that gets my attention. It was a chrono session for a buddy and he didn't even care about groups and I can't say I felt like I was having a good bench day. It was STILL stacking 'em.

Anyway Stick I already gave you credit on my scope thread for being a big influence IF I go the M700 route. Your points are good ones (other than the idiotic, mindless, continual, gratuitous personal chit) and I'm not ignoring them, to the contrary. But our circumstances and needs/wants are different here; it's a different equation, and might therefore have a different answer. I know seeing outside your box is hard for you so I don't expect anything other than more chit from your direction but- seeing as I'm eternally good-natured and cheerful and all- there's some polite discourse for you, sir. wink

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well look who's back. What a pleasure...//...I know seeing outside your box is hard for you so I don't expect anything other than more chit from your direction but- seeing as I'm eternally good-natured and cheerful and all- there's some polite discourse for you, sir. wink

Well heII, of course Big Stink can't see outside the box; they gave him one with 64" sides!

laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Tikka T3 Varmint with 1x8 twist is finicky at best. I tried 50 grain v maxes using benchmark, varget ect. I finally had some luck when I switched to heavier bullets like the 69 grain SMK and varget. The gun doesn't do well with benchmark at all. I just got decent results with 80 grain SMK but the gun is now a single shot since they have to be seated so long. I'm not an expert at reloading but it is a tad frustrating especially after paying the money I have. I recently bought some 77 grain HPBT from Sierra and am keeping my fingers crossed that they will work since I can load them in the magazine.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
My Tikka T3 1 in 8 won't stabilize the 75 A-Max. It wasn't a particularly hot load, but they were tumbling nicely.

Are you sure it is an 8? Tikka sells a 12 and 8 twist. If it is indeed an 8, I would crank up the velocity and see what happens...

It's a 1 in 8. What is your minimum velocity suggestion?

IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
If you're having stability issues I would load up in .4 gr increments until you note pressure signs. Shoot groups as you climb the pressure/velocity ladder. Hopefully somewhere pre pressure signs you nail a velocity that allows the 75's to remain stable.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by rath
If you're having stability issues I would load up in .4 gr increments until you note pressure signs. Shoot groups as you climb the pressure/velocity ladder. Hopefully somewhere pre pressure signs you nail a velocity that allows the 75's to remain stable.

+1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Chances are better than even that I'll go the M700/retube route, as much for commonality with my hunting rifles as anything else. In fact, at this point that's the plan. Being able to get the throat right would be a big plus also. Plus then I can AI the thing to be extra-cool.

But what don't seem to penetrate your head is that this is just a toy for me. There's nothing- NOTHING- I want to hunt with a .223. I'm not a varmint hunter. I'm not a predator hunter. And I'm not interested in hunting deer with a .223.

I get that you & yours use them with success for those things and that's cool and all. I get that you drag yours all over AK, so the plastic & DBM aspect of the Tikka is a deal killer. Those things aren't real relevant to me. This is purely a fun gun. The Tikka has a good trigger, is at least twisted right (though the mag/throat thing is a concern for sure), they are unanimously reputed to shoot, and they are cheap. Mostly all good things in a "fun" gun.

The Tikka .223 I shot the other day was just stacking 'em with BH factory ammo, and that gets my attention. It was a chrono session for a buddy and he didn't even care about groups and I can't say I felt like I was having a good bench day. It was STILL stacking 'em.

Anyway Stick I already gave you credit on my scope thread for being a big influence IF I go the M700 route. Your points are good ones (other than the idiotic, mindless, continual, gratuitous personal chit) and I'm not ignoring them, to the contrary. But our circumstances and needs/wants are different here; it's a different equation, and might therefore have a different answer. I know seeing outside your box is hard for you so I don't expect anything other than more chit from your direction but- seeing as I'm eternally good-natured and cheerful and all- there's some polite discourse for you, sir. wink

Noone is quicker than you,to pretend they've a [bleep] clue...about things they've never seen,let alone done. Groovin' on how you are quick on the Excuse Clause,as a means of quantifying your sheer and utter stupidity,as being a well thought out "plan". Don't get much funnier than that! Though in fairness,Magnum Doosh P.I.(Poosy Itches) is always eager to flap her gums and talk blaringly out her ass too.

You've zero concept of what BC and terminal affects in conjunction,reliably arrange downrange and the only move you've got is to tug at heart strings with Wives Tales and fabriphuckingcations,as a means reliably poking all your feet in your yap at the same time. Thus your ease in dismissing things beyond your means,comprehension,experience and intellect by default...in no particular order. You are too stupid to take notes and apply same,which only adds to the humor. Instead,you'd rather concoct all sortsa reasons to "quantify" your stupidity,with the constant being you've IMAGINED all of it. [bleep] [bleep] priceless stuff,no doubt!

Yet another ripe opportunity for you to concoct a chart and illuminate in splendid detail,all of them things you never came close to doing,all of them wares you didn't do it with and all the Critters that weren't harmed in them "findings".

The quicker you quit DREAMING and start DOING,the quicker your [bleep] nonsense will end. Stupid never ain't smart...though nuttin' is funnier.

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
[bleep]' classic...and right on point. grin

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
[bleep]' classic...and right on point. grin

Right on. long Big Sperm and all his spawn Grin

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

+1

So dogcatcher223, you really don't have a clue how fast I need to get the 75 A-Max going to stabilize it. Why didn't you say so in the first place?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My Tikka T3 varmint shoot great.
FMJ factory loads are around 1-1.5" groups
Prvi Partizan 69 gr loads shoot at about 3/4"
Black hills 55 gr ammo shoots at about 1/2-3/4 in

My first loads with Varget and Hornady 60 gr v-max all shot under 3/4", but when I tryed 26.5 gr of varget with the 60 gr v-max COL=2.25, I got 1/4" groups on a very gusty day. The velocity was 3155fps

It also shoots 75 gr HP BT bullets well, but I have not tried the 75 gr A-maxes.

The only complaint I have is about the magazine. Sometimes it doesn't move up the cartridge so you will cycle the bolt and not pick up a round. Also, since they use the same size mag as they do for all other calibers, I would have thought they could have moved the back wall rearward a little more to allow for use of 75 gr A-maxes in the magazine.

The action on the tikkas are super smooth and the trigger is one of the best I've ever felt. It can be adjusted very light and feels a lot better to me than the Savage accutriggers.

So I can get over the ugly stock

Last edited by gohip; 04/13/11.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Noone is quicker than you,to pretend they've a [bleep] clue...about things they've never seen,let alone done. Groovin' on how you are quick on the Excuse Clause,as a means of quantifying your sheer and utter stupidity,as being a well thought out "plan". Don't get much funnier than that! Though in fairness,Magnum Doosh P.I.(Poosy Itches) is always eager to flap her gums and talk blaringly out her ass too.

You've zero concept of what BC and terminal affects in conjunction,reliably arrange downrange and the only move you've got is to tug at heart strings with Wives Tales and fabriphuckingcations,as a means reliably poking all your feet in your yap at the same time. Thus your ease in dismissing things beyond your means,comprehension,experience and intellect by default...in no particular order. You are too stupid to take notes and apply same,which only adds to the humor. Instead,you'd rather concoct all sortsa reasons to "quantify" your stupidity,with the constant being you've IMAGINED all of it. [bleep] [bleep] priceless stuff,no doubt!

Yet another ripe opportunity for you to concoct a chart and illuminate in splendid detail,all of them things you never came close to doing,all of them wares you didn't do it with and all the Critters that weren't harmed in them "findings".

The quicker you quit DREAMING and start DOING,the quicker your [bleep] nonsense will end. Stupid never ain't smart...though nuttin' is funnier.

Hint..............
Being and a-hole doesn't make a person smart. just because someone is mild mannered or doesn't brag and say they know it all doesn't mean they are dumb. usually the a-holes think they know it so well, that they can't learn anything outside of their laser beam vision

Last edited by gohip; 04/13/11.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

+1

So dogcatcher223, you really don't have a clue how fast I need to get the 75 A-Max going to stabilize it. Why didn't you say so in the first place?

WTF? Two things that stabilize a bullet, twist and velocity. How fast are you currently shooting them? Do you own a chrony? What powder? Do you have pressure signs? Have you actually worked up a load? Are you lobbing them at 2400, or 2900? You said your loads weren't particulary hot, define that. Don't ask stupid generic questions and expect an answer.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I see now why you're on a post diet Big Stink; you posted 293 times on 03-20!!!

293!

LMAO!
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,613 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,937
Posts18,498,866
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.