Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Naw. Lefties like the stores, the crappy furniture and that they're from the same place that makes volvos.

Ikea's U.S. factory churns out unhappy workers

Reporting from Danville, Va.�
When home furnishing giant Ikea selected this fraying blue-collar city to build its first U.S. factory, residents couldn't believe their good fortune.

Beloved by consumers worldwide for its stylish and affordable furniture, the Swedish firm had also constructed a reputation as a good employer and solid corporate citizen. State and local officials offered $12 million in incentives. Residents thrilled at the prospect of a respected foreign company bringing jobs to this former textile region after watching so many flee overseas.

But three years after the massive facility opened here, excitement has waned. Ikea is the target of racial discrimination complaints, a heated union-organizing battle and turnover from disgruntled employees.

Workers complain of eliminated raises, a frenzied pace and mandatory overtime. Several said it's common to find out on Friday evening that they'll have to pull a weekend shift, with disciplinary action for those who can't or don't show up.

Kylette Duncan, among the plant's first hires, quit after six months to take a lower-paying retail job. "I need money as bad as anybody, but I also need a life," said Duncan, 52. She recalled having to cancel medical appointments for her ailing husband because she had to work overtime at the last minute.

Some of the Virginia plant's 335 workers are trying to form a union. The International Assn. of Machinists and Aerospace Workers said a majority of eligible employees had signed cards expressing interest.

In response, the factory � part of Ikea's manufacturing subsidiary, Swedwood � hired the law firm Jackson Lewis, which has made its reputation keeping unions out of companies. Workers said Swedwood officials required employees to attend meetings at which management discouraged union membership.

Plant officials didn't return calls and declined to meet with a Times reporter who visited the Virginia facility. Swedwood spokeswoman Ingrid Steen in Sweden called the situation in Danville "sad" but said she could not discuss the complaints of specific employees. She said she had heard "rumors" about anti-union meetings at the plant but added that "this wouldn't be anything that would be approved by the group management in Sweden."

The dust-up has garnered little attention in the U.S. But it's front-page news in Sweden, where much of the labor force is unionized and Ikea is a cherished institution. Per-Olaf Sjoo, the head of the Swedish union in Swedwood factories, said he was baffled by the friction in Danville. Ikea's code of conduct, known as IWAY, guarantees workers the right to organize and stipulates that all overtime be voluntary.

"Ikea is a very strong brand and they lean on some kind of good Swedishness in their business profile. That becomes a complication when they act like they do in the United States," said Sjoo. "For us, it's a huge problem."

Laborers in Swedwood plants in Sweden produce bookcases and tables similar to those manufactured in Danville. The big difference is that the Europeans enjoy a minimum wage of about $19 an hour and a government-mandated five weeks of paid vacation. Full-time employees in Danville start at $8 an hour with 12 vacation days � eight of them on dates determined by the company.

What's more, as many as one-third of the workers at the Danville plant have been drawn from local temporary-staffing agencies. These workers receive even lower wages and no benefits, employees said.

Swedwood's Steen said the company is reducing the number of temps, but she acknowledged the pay gap between factories in Europe and the U.S. "That is related to the standard of living and general conditions in the different countries," Steen said.

Bill Street, who has tried to organize the Danville workers for the machinists union, said Ikea was taking advantage of the weaker protections afforded to U.S. workers.

"It's ironic that Ikea looks on the U.S. and Danville the way that most people in the U.S. look at Mexico," Street said.

The Swedwood factory is situated on the outskirts of Danville, in the midst of rolling tobacco country, just north of the North Carolina border.

For most of the last century the town of 45,000 relied on textiles and tobacco for jobs. Today the riverfront is lined with empty red brick warehouses and crumbling mills. With the unemployment rate high � currently at 10.1% � the city has put muscle behind attracting new companies, including Ikea.

"They've definitely given jobs to people that desperately needed them here," city manager Joe King said.

Swedwood says it chose Danville to cut shipping costs to its U.S. stores. The plant has been run mostly by American managers, along with some from Sweden.

Carpe' Scrotum

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Put the union in there, and then watch their jobs leave for overseas just like the previous textile industries did there. If there's only one hand feeding me, I'm not going to bite it too hard.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Actually, Sweden is quite friendly to companies. They have relatively low corporate tax rates, but do tax private citizens fairly highly for the services they receive. I worked for Volvo 25 years ago and was amazed at how well the companies and the government cooperated for the good of the nation.

I visited Sweden every 3-4 weeks for several days each time and observed how well the national good was placed foremost.

Oh yes, and unions are quite strong in Sweden.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Put the union in there, and then watch their jobs leave for overseas just like the previous textile industries did there. If there's only one hand feeding me, I'm not going to bite it too hard.

"Watch jobs go overseas." In Sweden, a nation of about 9 million people, a company will give preference to keeping production in Sweden wherever possible to help the country. Even if a company has to open a plant is a foreign country (due to foreign government pressure), they keep the technologically advanced production at home. This is unlike the US companies that readily open R&D offices (to train the foreign nation in advanced technology), manufacturing plants and assembly plants to maximize profits.

Last edited by djs; 04/13/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cry babies need to quit if they don't like their jobs.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Ikea peddles trash. Ask any good cabinet maker. Trying to capitalize on American labor. Let the yuppie wannabes buy it.

"Use a big enough gun!"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RugerNo3
Ikea peddles trash. Ask any good cabinet maker. Trying to capitalize on American labor. Let the yuppie wannabes buy it.

Their highest quality goods barely qualify to outfit a dorm room nevermind someones home. Absolute Crapola

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never met a leftist that didn't think Ikea was great. The sad part is, one of them had a father that made a living working with wood products (real wood).

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We are Sweden's Mexico.

Last edited by chrissum; 04/14/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Funny. I was just in an IKEA today. I HATE IKEA. But the ol'lady wanted to grab a cheap dresser for the kids. So I went. It was cheap. Quality is what you'd expect for cheap press board. Easy to put together. Should serve it's purpose. Gotta say it's way better built stuff than 8 years ago when last I bought there.

I'd rather buy used real wood and refurbish, but I lost that fight.

Anyway, the real point here is the fallacy that's it's Sweedish I looked at the country of origin of every piece we considered. And others just for kicks. EVERY single item I looked at today was made in China.

So, yeah, kinda the new Walmart.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We don't have an IKEA here. The nearest one to us is in Portland, 550 miles away. Good thing. My wife loves the place. Even if they had quality stuff, I don't like the modern styles they have. I much prefer the old American look.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 70 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,790
Posts18,496,085
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.