-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I went up and set up a tree stand yesterday getting ready for bow season.....came around the corner and a grey fox was sitting in the middle of the road.......it ran in front of the quad till we stopped and sat and watched us 2 fat old men try to put up a stand.....they say these are the most common foxes in California but in all my years of hunting this is only the second one I've seen.......I put up a game cam so maybe I'll get a picture of it.....heres what they look like:

[Linked Image]

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...���
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ours down here have zero red in them, they are all grey/grey black. They are neat to watch in the moonlight if you don't happen to keep chickens!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
They are gorgeous and I think more beautiful than the red. I've seen several in my area and have only shot one.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
To God Alone be The Glory!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife and I had a vacation home in the southern Sierra of Tulare County, for many years. We used to see them quite often up there. Beautiful animals, although they'll take a heavy toll on game birds.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Lot of folks don't know it but a grey fox is pretty adept at climbing trees..No, not like a squirrel on a bare trunk.but when there are branches he can jump to or the trunk is sloping they can climb..
Pretty neat critters..coyotes kill lots of them...jim

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The reason that most folks don't see them very often is that they are pretty determined "nocturnalists"--they don't move around much in the daytime unless they are disturbed. For the last twelve years I lived on an isolated ranch ten miles from the nearest "town" and we saw them regularly driving home after dark.

Most of the ones that I have seen during the day have been treed by the lion hounds while we were hunting. The young dogs will take off after them and occasionally will persuade the older dogs to join in. I have seen grey foxes twenty-five or thirty feet up in trees (mostly Arizona sycamores) and that is about as tall as trees grown here in the creek bottoms where they spend a lot of their time.

We also have kit foxes here--they look like toy versions of the grey fox, but are much more curious and less afraid. On several occasions while mist-netting bats with visiting scientists, we have had kit foxes come up and sit down within a few feet, hoping to get a handout if one of the bats is deemed surplus. They also come into our spike camps and try to take a few bites off of deer that are hanging. It's pretty difficult to find a tree that allows the deer to be hung out of jumping range and with the limbs arranged so that the foxes can't slip down the rope and help themselves,,,

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TLEE

Have you had issues in FL. with rabies in foxes ? We've got certain counties that have a high rate of rabid foxes. They're remarkable animals. I've got a friend who has a full fox mount, with a quail in the foxes mouth.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fox here are not the problem, Raccoons are the major carriers.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am familiar with the Raccoons. The state, either health dept or wildlife, has been putting out this rabies vaccine for the Raccoons to eat, in certain areas of the state. We've been pretty well overcome by, both Foxes and Raccons in certain areas, mainly due to no one trapping anymore. The only thing keeping them in check is the cars and Coyotes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here, contact with a Raccoon is sufficient justification to be subjected to Rabies treatment, Bats as well.

Old cat turd!

IC B3

P
Pat Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
We have a ton of the Red variety cruisin' for the chickens. Have seen only one all grey, a couple of years back...

Neat animals, very sly they are!

Pat

Cheap things are not good, good things are not cheap.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We call in and take quite a few down this way.......

Bob
[Linked Image]

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Used to call in alot of grays in S. Central Okla. in the '70s but the yodel dogs have competed with them too heavily. Last one I called up was in S. Texas...Reds are very rare here but not nonexistant. What I haven't seen in many years is a ringtailed cat but do hear of a few sightings...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (3333vl, 35, anothergun, Armednfree, Angus1895, 38HBWC, 14 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,029
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.