Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
Fargus Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I am looking for some input as to why folks prefer the frame they chose over the other. Personally I think I prefer an external simply because I like the idea of being able to remove the pack to carry the quarters. Then the thought crossed my mind "What do I do with the pack while I'm hauling out the quarters?"

What say you???

P.S. I have been eyeballing the BULLPACS.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bullpack is crap.

If you want an external, track down a long discontinued Dana Design Loadmaster.

Kelty too still makes externals.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Fargus:

External frame packs are ancient technology. It may seem counter intuitive, but external frame packs, even those with meat shelves designed specifically for hauling meat, are not the best way to haul heavy loads. Most people who have extensively used both an external frame and an internal frame to haul heavy loads will agree that the internal frame is the least miserable way to accomplish the task.

I went on my first backpack trip in 1959. The pack that I used was a canvas Boy Scout pack on a wooden frame with canvas shoulder straps and no hip belt. My next pack had a flat aluminum external frame, than came a pack with an "S" shaped aluminum external frame, then came a Hipwire � frame pack, and finally I tried to go lightweight and bought a Jansport pack with an external frame. I still have pack frame with a meat shelf specifically designed for hauling out meat. It sits in the shed and gathers dust.

About thirty years ago, I bought my first internal frame pack. It took a while to learn how to use the adjustments and to discover the advantages of an internal frame. Once I figured out how things work, I realized that backpacking does not have to be miserable. Now I would never use an external frame pack.

Here's the strategy that I use for backpack hunting. The pack that I use the most is an Osprey "Expopsure 66". It's an internal frame pack with a capacity of about 4,200 cu.in. and it weighs about 4#. I use that for general summer backpacking, for hauling in my camp when backpack hunting and as my hunting daypack. When I get an elk down, I carry the first load of loose meat to the truck in that pack.

I keep a North Face "Back Shadow" in the truck. It's also an internal frame pack, it has a capacity of 6,500 cu.in. and it weighs 6.5#. I switch to that pack to carry out the big quarters. Once I have carried all the meat to the truck, I switch back to the smaller pack to go back in and get my camp.

The "Back Shadow" and the "Exposure 66" are no longer in production but you can still get similar packs to use the same strategy. If you try to do it all with just one pack, it will be a compromise. If it's strong enough to haul out elk hind quarters then it will be too big and heavy for general backpacking and for use as a hunting daypack. If it's small and lightweight for general backpacking, it will be too lightly built and too small to haul out elk hind quarters.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fargus
Then the thought crossed my mind "What do I do with the pack while I'm hauling out the quarters?"

My external framed pack has a carry handle on the top of the bag for that very purpose.
I have found that it works better in theory than in reality, but if you want to make it out in one trip it works.

If you're making multiple trips (such as an elk) than I would keep the bag on and throw in some meat and/or the head (if it's legal to do so) for the first trip out, then take the bag off at camp.

Bullpacs have hauled many elk out of the mountains. If all you want is a packboard to haul out elk quarters it will certainly do the job. If you want a pack that is good for both hunting out of and hauling heavy loads theres as many other options out there as there are opinions.

Here's what I use www.hardcorehuntpack.com

Good luck!

Last edited by KCBighorn; 04/17/11.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Fargus
Then the thought crossed my mind "What do I do with the pack while I'm hauling out the quarters?"

You could always compress the pack against the frame, lash on the quarters and carry the meat outside the pack. Or just put 'em inside the pack, a little blood can be washed out easily.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I say cut the meat off of the bones and just carry the meat. E

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
KC, you bring back old memories. I went on my first back packing trip in 1955 and used the same BSA pack. E

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by Eremicus
KC, you bring back old memories. I went on my first back packing trip in 1955 and used the same BSA pack. E

E:

You started backpacking four years before I did. Man you must be really old and decrepit while I'm still a spring chicken. grin

I bet I was carrying 50# in that pack. I took everything on the list in the BSA Handbook and the book too. My sleeping bag was a Coleman cotton filled rectangular bag and I bet it weighed 10#. I carried canned beans and whole potatoes. The things we did before we knew better.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by KC

Fargus:

External frame packs are ancient technology.

Once I figured out how things work, I realized that backpacking does not have to be miserable. Now I would never use an external frame pack.

Here's the strategy that I use for backpack hunting. The pack that I use the most is an Osprey "Expopsure 66". It's an internal frame pack with a capacity of about 4,200 cu.in. and it weighs about 4#. I use that for general summer backpacking, for hauling in my camp when backpack hunting and as my hunting daypack. When I get an elk down, I carry the first load of loose meat to the truck in that pack.

I keep a North Face "Back Shadow" in the truck. It's also an internal frame pack, it has a capacity of 6,500 cu.in. and it weighs 6.5#. I switch to that pack to carry out the big quarters. Once I have carried all the meat to the truck, I switch back to the smaller pack to go back in and get my camp.

The "Back Shadow" and the "Exposure 66" are no longer in production but you can still get similar packs to use the same strategy. If you try to .

KC

so the only reasons you dont like external is because it is "ancient technology" "backpacking does not have to be miserable"? your post while well put togather gave no real reason as to why internal is better. your strategy could be reworded to this - after kill put loose meat in pack, go to truck unload meat/pack, go back haul quarters on frame, last meat load re-attach pack to haul camp. so exactly how is internal better?

not calling you out, just curious your reasons.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have found that with an internal frame pack carrying heavy loads, the load fits better to the curvature of my back and it makes it more comfortable carrying it long distances. External frames have always poked and gouged me and the load did not seem as stable as with my internal frame packs. I've got several internal frame packs, and I won't be going to an external frame anytime soon. With the way the internal frame packs work, a heavy load doesn't drag me down, and I don't feel it the next day or two as bad either.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I used to be big into the external frame packs...right up to the time I found out about Mystery Ranch internal frames.

Internal frames (at least MR) allow for a lot more adjustment to fit perfectly. The load itself can be secured much easier, better, quicker, and more efficiently.

On top of that the pack itself is much more comfortable and much more durable than any external I've ever had.

I have 2 of the old external frame packs hanging in the shed that have been collecting dust for about 6 years...I should do the right thing and smash them flat with a hammer.

The external frames will work...but I will reserve mine to lend out if someone is really hurting for a way to get their elk out of the woods.

I use a small daypack while hunting. When I shoot one, I use it to carry out the antlers, backstraps and tenderloins. When I get back to camp I swap out for my meat hauler with a shelf and carry the remaining meat with it.
You can get a decent frame for around $60. You do not need to pay $300 to get a meat hauler...

Hunting is where you prove yourself
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You can...and you will be replacing those $60 frames about every other year. One of the 2 "meat haulers" I have is about shot, held together with wire, spare parts, and luck.

If you get real lucky, you wont need back surgery after using the dreaded "meat hauler" for a few years as well.

Mystery ranch has a life-time warranty, no reason to ever buy another.

My opinion is that I want to be make the job of packing elk, deer, etc. as enjoyable, safe, and efficient as possible while not crippling myself in the process.

Mystery ranch packs are cheap in comparison to back surgery.

Just sayin'...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
which MR internal pack do you run? i thought you were usin' a CC

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

so the only reasons you dont like external is because it is "ancient technology" "backpacking does not have to be miserable"? your post while well put togather gave no real reason as to why internal is better. your strategy could be reworded to this - after kill put loose meat in pack, go to truck unload meat/pack, go back haul quarters on frame, last meat load re-attach pack to haul camp. so exactly how is internal better?

not calling you out, just curious your reasons.

mossbergman:

That's a fair question. Once a person becomes proficient at using both types of packs the advantages of internal frame packs are obvious.

When carrying bone-in elk quarters in any type of pack it's best to load the meat so that the skinny part of the quarter is on the bottom and the fat part, or bulb, is on the top. This moves the center of gravity up and makes for better balance. When I have carried boned-out meat in an internal frame pack, I zip up the internal shelf that separates the sleeping bag compartment from the rest of the pack and put the meat in the top of the pack.

External frames are rigid and pull backwards and you have to lean forward to keep from falling over. This unbalanced situation is made worse by meat shelves that put the center of gravity near the bottom of the frame. When I carry meat in a big internal frame pack, I try to sit the meat high in the pack so that I can balance it forward and relieve the pull to the rear.

External frame packs typically have little or no adjustment capability so I can never get the weight off of my shoulders. An internal frame pack on the other hand does allow for adjustment such that ocasionally I can relieve the weight from my shoulders and "let my hips shoulder the load". Of course I can do the opposite and carry all the weight on my shoulders for a while to rest my hips.

Typically internal frame packs are carried closer to your back so you have better balance and maneuverability.

If I were to reword my post as you suggest, then I would be miserable when carrying the heavy quarters on the rigid pack frame.

Whatever kind of pack you use, the most important factor is to use one that fits you properly.

KC

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a MountainSmith 7000 cu. inch pack from back in the day when Patrick Smith was still involved with the company. I've hauled a few loads a few miles with it. The one that convinced me to get pack horses was 120 lb. packed 7 miles. That one nearly killed me. I've hauled 85-105 lb. in it for a bit over a mile on elk trails to where I could get my ponies and every time it was as "comfortable" and stable as you could expect torture like that to be.

External frames are old tech and as has been mentioned you can get the load closer to your center of gravity with the internal frame.

[Linked Image]
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SteelyEyes

every time it was as "comfortable" and stable as you could expect torture like that to be.

Hee. Hee. I like that. smirk

Here's another guy whose obviously BTDT.

KC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For packing quarters and halves, an external frame is the cat's ass. Before lashing my first elk quarter to a frame 30 years ago, I cut the bag off and left it in the wilderness. Regardless of form, I can lash anything to my frame. I've had many deer halves, elk quarters, and moose hams, and entire pronghorn that simply would not fit in a bag.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/18/11.

1Minute
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by KC

[quote]Whatever kind of pack you use, the most important factor is to use one that fits you properly.

KC

this year i barrowed a enternal from bag from a friend it was too small but worked. a few months ago i scored a deal on MR nice crewcab and 6500.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
1minute,

I've had whole antelope, 2 whole javelina, and coues deer on my MR CC a few times, piece of cake.

I fit both hind quarters, with the bone in, off a raghorn bull in the 6500. A tad bit tight, but it worked. The 6500 is just about as close to perfect for a single elk hind quarter as it gets.

I've used both a lot, but there simply isnt anything a frame will do better than a MR, period.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 10 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 863 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,464
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.