Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
My bud Mitch had not gotten a bird on opening weekend, so we decided to tag team them on some public land. Our first few spots didn�t produce, so we just crept around on the main roads looking for some good places to try. We found a burn on the edge of a creek bottom, so I told Mitch we should stop and throw out some cutts for the heck of it. Baam! he fired off just off the road. We grabbed our gear and headed out into the burn to find a quick set up. As soon as we get in the brush a car starts coming down the gravel road at a pretty good clip, so we just let it calm down and I hit him with some cutts. He hammered back about three times, so I let him have some purrs and chirps. He was eating it up, gobbling every breath and getting closer. I told Mitch to get ready, but he never came out in the open. Just walked back and forth hammering. I told Mitch he must be hung on something, maybe the creek as we didn�t know exactly where it was. I told Mitch we oughta loop him and get close to the creek, so we busted through the briars past the burn high above the tom. He went silent on us, but I didn�t want to make a peep until we were set. We made it to the creek, hunkered down, and I threw out some sweet talk. He cranked it back up gobbling every breath, this dude was on fire. He starts heading twds us and freaking hangs again. What we didn�t know was the creek made a big S curve about 60yds in front of us. I told Mitch I was going to just shut up and see what he did. We waited a bit and I whispered to Mitch to rake the leaves while I gave him a few purrs and clucks. He couldn�t take it, that rascal crossed the creek and headed for us. I saw him when he made it to around 50yds, but Mitch couldn�t see him yet. I kept a bead on him in case something went wrong. He was about to be right on top of us, so I whisper take him and Mitch doesn�t shoot! It�s crunch time and I didn�t know Mitch had a bunch of saplings inbetween him and the bird. Finally, Mitch let him have it when he hit a small opening. It�s always a great experience to catch a lonesome tom late morning, especially when they are on fire. I bet that tom gobbled 100 times, Mitch and I will never forget it.

He had a 9-1/2� beard and 4 spurs! He had a �� and �� spur on one leg, �� and �� nub on the other. The nub sort of looked like he may have broken the spur earlier on.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Have a good one,

loder

GB1

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
You guys are killin' me!! I still have to wait another three weeks. Keep them coming. Congrats!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 4 spurred brid is the rarest of trophies in the NWTF records. I killed one in NE and it's mounted in my house now. Mine were 1 1/4" and 1 5/16" for the big ones and a 1/2" and a nub like hat for the other. There are single digit entries in NWTF for birds with 4 spurs. Tell your buddy that he got an amazing trophy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Incredible & very unique. Congrats to him on a rare bird.

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Ebby
The 4 spurred brid is the rarest of trophies in the NWTF records. I killed one in NE and it's mounted in my house now. Mine were 1 1/4" and 1 5/16" for the big ones and a 1/2" and a nub like hat for the other. There are single digit entries in NWTF for birds with 4 spurs. Tell your buddy that he got an amazing trophy.

I know alot of turkey slayers, but don't know anyone who has killed one like that. Funny thing is Mitch doesn't even keep their legs, just throws the beards in a cabinet out in the garage and throws the legs away. Needless to say these will go to my collection for sure laugh

Have a good one,

loder

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great bird! Great hunt! It doesn't get any better than that.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

J
jcc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Awesome. I think I would have a full leg mount!
I put the big spurs on a necklace. Kind of geeky, but keeps my time busy between hunts.

Jimmy C

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice job! I've killed a bunch of turkeys and never seen one like that.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
that is very cool! congrats to both of you.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If they were longer it would score huge having 4.

Last edited by WPAH; 03/26/11.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too cool....a 4 pt Tom

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cool.

Never seen that before.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Cool!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Always great to nail one late morning!!

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,832 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,315
Posts18,487,290
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.