Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
anyone use this kinda stuff, if so whats your preference?.....wanting to do more sound and video stuff for our website and ive got no freaking clue where to start.....i see Adobe has Soundbooth and im used to working with Photoshop and such and they usually have alot of info out if yah hit a wall......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
What platform?

For audio starters you might look at downloading Audacity. It's cross-platform and best of all, it's free. I mostly use Sony SoundForge for my go-to audio editor on the PC, but in some cases I use Audacity as it has a couple of features lacking in the version of SoundForge I'm using. SoundForge was about $300 - there are others as well and $$$ as much as you want to spend.

If you're doing simple video editing (moving/joining clips, transitions, voice-over tracks, etc.) iMovie on the Mac can get the job done - and it comes preloaded on the Mac. If you want something more powerful step up to Final Cut Express ($200ish). FCE will cover just about all the bases for the amateur or hobbyist (no disrespect intended) but if you want an editor the "pros" use, Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere are worth looking at. Keep in mind Final Cut and Premiere can have a pretty steep learning curve.

Oh, and don't tell anyone but I produced some video for Sun Microsystems and I used iMovie. They were none-the-wiser but were happy with what I gave them.

I'm happy to answer any other questions if I can.

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
no worries bout calling me an amateur/hobbyist, fully realize that is very much what i am.....dont have alot of reference for this sorta stuff, not really many Montana newspapers doing anything but we have received good feed back from posting audios of some of the more contentious meetings and some video of sporting events on our site and i have enjoyed doing it....lets us do something extra that doesnt directly compete with our print products.....

using PC......yes i know a newspaper that uses PC is odd but my wife brought her grandmothers paper into the computer age and at the time PC is what she knew and what the paper has stuck with ever since...dont have a ton of money to devote towards it.....

also where would i find info like a good book or something to give me the run down on doing stuff......i understand the photo stuff for running a program like Photoshop but have never messed with audio stuff and most the terms might as well be written in chinese.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For video editing, like cropping clips to only show the portion you want, or putting an overlay on (whether it be video in video, or a sound overlay), you can look for Pinnacle Studios products or Ulead products, neither is very pricey, and will do a lot of stuff. They are rather self explanatory to use as well.

Pinnacle Studios HD is the one I would recommend,

My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
For audio on a PC, I use Adobe Audition. It will clean up background noise in a live meeting. You could remove a closed door, dropped book or cell phone ring without affecting any audio. It's real slick.

On the Audiomasters Forum, there was a story of someone who was recording a live street musician in India. A motorist tried to mess it up by honking their horn as they drove by. Adobe Audition removed the car horn without affecting the music in seamless fashion.

I use it to clean up pops and scratches when I record vinyl albums.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rattler,

For the PC and reasonably priced sound editing, you might check out ACID Music Studio 8 or ACID Pro 7. (Sony product)

I've never used it but have a friend that does - he insists on running a PC when he should own a Mac. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
my son has sony vegas pro 9.0. he uses to edit the videos he makes.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (Big1bud, beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 6 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,591
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.