-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I just found this site a coupla weeks ago, now, I guess. Friend from Ontario sent me the link. Didn't know much when I got here about 99's, soon started finding out what I didn't know:) Still am, but enjoying it immensely.

Anyway, on the suggestion(s) of more than few readers here, I bought THE BOOK, Murray, 3rd Edition, came today:) The inside fly leaf was worth the price. And of course, I'm ecstatic. How many of you remember the first time it smacked ya upside the head, what a darn neat rifle this is? In every way.

That's where I am right now, and it floods back memories of reading late at night as a kid, when I was 'supoosed' to be sleeping, every book about guns I could lay my hands on.

Remember the first time you picked one up, and really 'realized' what you were holding?? Well that memory is new for me, just a couple months at best.

Take a moment and celebrate with me, this evening. Then take a minute, and pull a few memories outta mothballls:) It's GOOD for us:)

have at it:)

[Linked Image]

"I hunt not to kill, but rather to have not played golf.."
-Orlando "Squawfish" de Gasket
Chainsaw Artist/Philosopher
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It wasnt that long ago that I would sit down with gunbroker and Murrys just to try and figure out what model a gun was without asking. I didnt grow up with guns but dad had a junk yard and played with cars. I remember as a kid sitting down with the JC Whitney catalog and wishing. smile

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, I can see some installed compass rifles selling high in the next little while.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I let my 70 year old uncle "borrow" my first copy of Murray's.............on my second copy now.

Hope nobody I know wants to borrow that one.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Everything in that room has a memory with it. I would love to read the story of the fine whitetail there, or maybe the recipe for a brain tanned hide, or?? the room is full of questions for certain! ALL are stories I would read.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last time i smelled moth balls....I had a terrible time getting his tiny little legs opened up.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That looks a lot like my father's shop.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Jed, mothballs are on a shelf just to the left/north of that photo. And in every box of feathers, and hide, and bone, and fur. Don't think it could be the naptha affecting my brain, do ya??? (never had to buy demastid beetles to get the bug box goin', though:)))) Just sweep any shelf into the dustpan, and ya got yer start up kit:(

And Greg, I think every father should have a shop like that:) Little shops like that produced the Greatest Generation to large degree:) I was fortunate enough to remember being in a LOT of 'em. My eyes still bug out as a result:)

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I think my favorite is the board in the vise with the light clipped on it. I have done that myself. Only I have to use a shorter board to get the light closer. My eyes aint what they used to be.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
smile I think...a couple of ya are ready for the South Wall:) Maybe. Let me know:) Here it is.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm diggin the candle holders! They for sale?

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Jed,:) I dunno, he said sheepishly:) I'd hafta ask my significant other:(

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Here's another observation:) My signature line is a 'quotable quote' not neccessarily a 'real' one, although, way I see it, to quote Arlo Guthrie, "somebody had ta have come up with the idea."

It's from a publication/spoof on the outdoors nuts among us, given me by a friend years ago, called "Hook And Bullet". It's visible under the 1899 "A", .303 at the far right scroll of the first photo. If ya'ver never seen one or read one...ya should:)

Too funny:)

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, yes...

A trip to "Nostalgia-land"... I've had a good many of those lately... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Care ta share, Ron? I'd read 'em:)

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Jed, No, the candle holders are NOT for sale:) As a matter of fact, asking her, drew her attention to the fact I had 'em in the shop...and now, I don't have 'em either:( I was gonna offer to make ya a set, but found out she got 'em from Pier One Imports, and I know I couldn't make a set, for what you could get 'em there. But. The ones you got from me...wouldn't look a lot like those either:)

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (257Bob, 257Ackley, 1beaver_shooter, 22kHornet, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 3,242 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,699
Posts18,534,626
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.