Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I'm getting ready to get a new single stage press. I'm looking at a Redding Boss, Hornady Lock and Load, Lyman Crusher 2, or a RCBS Rockchucker. Does one have an advantage over the other, and why? I reload; 270 WIN, 22-250, 223, and 30-06 mostly.

Thank you all in advance for the advice.

R88
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You will get a number of different answers to your question. Here's mine; I have used a RCBS Rockchucker for many years now with excellent results. I load the same type of cartridges you listed. All the presses you mentioned are quality tools that will last a lifetime and beyond.

μολὼν λαβέ
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You will not go wrong with any of the above.

I do not mean to make your choice more difficult, but I have used the Hornady Lock & Load and the Rockchucker but the one I like best is the Lee Classic Cast single stage press.

I really like the way it handles spent primers. The ram is a large diameter HOLLOW cyclinder to which one connects a large plastic tube (that can serve as a reservoir, or unplug the end and use it to automatically deliver the spent primers into a garbage can).

Lots of leverage, adjustable handle, both left/right or to reduce leverage for better feel!

[Linked Image]

You can read more about HERE

$89 at Midway Midway -- you should note that it has 89 reviews, and scores 5 of 5 stars (few products at Midway get such a positive rating).

It could be worth checking the ratings by buyers for the other presses at Midway, but my bet is that the Lee Classic cast will be the top (at any price, but it is cheap too!).

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best, IMHO, this is the best

[Linked Image]

Forster co-ax

Dies float so will be aligned with cases, die's slide in and out so faster to change dies (this saves alot of time if you are constantly switching between calibers) and the casehead holder floats so the case is free to align with the die. With the casehead holder you just grab the case when you are done, don't have to slide it out of the shellholder.

I have a rockchucker, it's mounted next to the co-ax but mostly collects dust.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A Dillon can be set up with a locked toolhead and floating dies to do the same thing, except you won't be there all day to load your ammo.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've used the RCBS rock chucker for 15 years now and haven't had one problem with it. Still works like new. However, I did have to take it apart and clean it this year for the first time because it was getting hard to operate in the cold (30 degrees and below). It was just gunked up with old lube and it was easily fixed blush. It is hard to beat RCBS' customer service too. Side note: the co-ax looks pretty cool and I'll get one as soon as I wear out my rock chucker whistle wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Lots of good advice. Thanks to all for the info!!!

R88
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Co-Ax is the best single stage press available, I've used several...............DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

[Linked Image]

Forster co-ax

Dies float so will be aligned with cases, die's slide in and out so faster to change dies (this saves alot of time if you are constantly switching between calibers) and the casehead holder floats so the case is free to align with the die. With the casehead holder you just grab the case when you are done, don't have to slide it out of the shellholder.

I have a rockchucker, it's mounted next to the co-ax but mostly collects dust.

+1

This would be my choice as well. I just about dislocated my elbow sometimes using an old lyman t mag press trying to pull case out past the sizing ball/deprimer rod. The co ax press seems to have lots more leverage and sizes smooth as butter. The changing of dies is as easy as reaching up and pulling it out with two fingers. Also, you don't need to change shell holders between Large rifle and magnum callibers.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Forster co-ax

I forgot about that one. I have used one and I agree that it is the best. I would have one, but the Co-ax is $255 vs the $89 of the Lee Classic Cast (Midway prices).

John

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jpb

[Linked Image]

Forster co-ax

I forgot about that one. I have used one and I agree that it is the best. I would have one, but the Co-ax is $255 vs the $89 of the Lee Classic Cast (Midway prices).

John

Another vote for the Forster/Bonanza Co-Ax. The $255 will provide unfailing service for the rest of your life.....and likely that of your grandchildren too.

How much did you spend on your current truck, and how long will it last? By comparison, your first reloading press will likely be the last one you will buy. Make the decision the right one, IMO.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The Co-Ax is probably the best as stated above; I think Forster dies are for sure the best. I've got a Rockchucker I've used since 1972,but I would buy a Redding now because I like Redding's stuff and Rockchuckers are partially made in China.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the Lee Classic Cast and think that it is great. You are absolutely not giving up anything in terms of quality to other, more expensive, single-stage presses. You are getting the same (if not better) level of performance and spending less money to boot.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Forster co-ax is what I use.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Another vote for the Co-Ax. It's the best press I have used for the most of what I do. It won't do everything but for what you are loading I don't think you can beat it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Foster Co-Ax. There's a used one for sale at www.castboolits.gunloads.com, but I'd pay for the new one, and cash is tight here too, I just sold some stuff and saved up for it. I quickly sold my Rockchucker.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I used a Rockchucker for many years, and as the others have said once I bought a Co-Ax a couple of years back the RC never gets used. Spend the bucks, buy the Co-Ax.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Agreed that the CO-AX press is one nice piece of machinery and is a retard joy to use. But in my experience, it does not make any straighter ammo than my 30 YO RCBS RC or newish Redding T7.

Take home message for the OP: Straight ammo is more a function of technique, brass and dies. Any quality press (plenty to choose from and some are mentioned in previous posts) is mostly a platform for using good technique, brass and dies in.

Edit: At least one thing that the Co-Ax cannot do that others can is pull bullets with a standard collet style bullet pull die. However, Forster makes a special bullet puller die that will work in the Co-Ax.

Last edited by carbon12; 04/22/11. Reason: added info
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jpb

[Linked Image]

Forster co-ax

John

Last week the local Cabelas had Lee Classic Cast presses for 70.00 on the shelf. I was there to make use of a discount coupon and had I bought the press, it would have ended up costing just $40.00. Sorta tempted but lead shot and powder had higher priority and I am a few deep in presses.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Reloading isn't rocket science and presses are VERY simple mechanical devices. Those you list and several you don't list look the same because they virtually ARE the same. All of them work quite well and no user will be limited in the quality of work that can be done on any of them; pick a color you like!

I use a 30 year old RCBS Rock Chucker that's mechanically as good as new but I have enough experience to know that it's not unique in any way. In fact, IF I had to replace my old RC tomorrow I would get a Lee Classic Cast. Cost aside, it's simply the better press because of its very nice user features and I suspect it's even stronger and long lived than my RC.

The Foster Co-Ax is a good press but the ergonomics leave me cold; that 'straight out' lever and case feed path isn't condusive to a smooth work flow for me. And I have no objection to normal die swaps either, it only takes few seconds anyway.

Last edited by boomtube; 04/22/11.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,154
Posts18,484,287
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.