Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Looking for opinions on the difference between these jackets. Would be used on Oct. and early Nov. hunts 6000 to 9000ft in Idaho or Colorado. Wondering about the noise factor with the waterproof Coldfront and is 1 warmer than the other?

GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Boomhand,

Some quick info for you:

The Coldfront Series is the quietest of the three rain gear options in OPTIFADE Open Country from Sitka Gear. It's texture is more attune to a soft shell than a traditional hard shell such as the Stormfront; thus it is relatively quiet. Noise level between the Coldfront and Jetstream is pretty much equivalent with maybe a slight nod to the Jetstream.

The Jetstream and Coldfront are about the same thickness in material, with the Jetstream ever so slightly lighter. Thus the temp ranges each performs in will be similar. The Jetstream is very good at being water resistant but when precipitation becomes heavier, the Coldfront (as it should) outshines it. I use both in the conditions/locations that you mention and are two of my favorite Sitka Gear pieces.

If you have any more questions, feel free to gives us a call.

Mike

www.high-mountain-outfitters.com

www.High-Mountain-Outfitters.com

First Lite, Eberlestock, Kenetrek, Hilleberg, Darn Tough, Badlands, Integral Designs and more.

www.AlpineMoto.net

Snowmobile Gear, MotorFist
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never handled the Coldfront. I pondered it when buying a jacket for a November sheep hunt and ended up going with the Stormfront as a good shell to keep me dry and protect from the wind. It worked amazing with good layers as a top layer but was quite an investment up front for a 'rain jacket'.

This year I'll be adding the Jetstream. My thoughts are it will work for a PILE of my hunting and allow me to carry the Stormfront in my pack for when things get wet and nasty. I'd think the combination of the two (along with other layers) would give a person a LOT of versatility and warmth in some pretty harsh temps. I've also got a Kelvin vest that I gotta say is one comfortable peice of kit!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would recommend the Coldfront out of hose two choices. However, I'd recommend the new KUIU guide jacket over both. Wind resistant, same level of warmth, pit zips, excellent water resistance, and dries very fast. I wore my Attack pant yesterday which is the same material and was very impressed. We were in heavy rain and crawling and walking through thick brush. I did not get wet and the pants were dry in about 20 min after the rain stopped. I have tried the Jetstream and owned a Coldfront. Very nice pieces but I think the Guide jacket is more versatile and a better piece than the 90% or the Jetstream.
Lee

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (6MMWASP, 257_X_50, 907brass, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, AKislander, 8 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,077
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.