Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have been starting to watch for a older marlin 30-30 with better wood and they are getting hard to find! So I stop in a pawn shop and find an older JC higgins that is a marlin and it has a stock that needs refinishing, but overall its not bad on the metal. $219 and I am sure I could get it for less w/ cash.
They had the lever zip tied down so I couldn't open it, but I noticed the little metal tab that protudes out the bottom just in front of the lever pivot didn't sit the same as the other marlins and it wasn't as tight.
Its a 30-30 and would be refinished for deer hunting. Is there problems there with that thingy? Are the JC higgins as good as a regular marlin (at least inside)?
Sorry for being a rookie... Years ago I passed on these, but now they are catching my eye.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Made by Marlin, exactly the same gun cept' some might have poor wood.
If they won't take the tie off, walk away.
Own several Sears JC's FN bolt guns and once you replace the crap trigger they are great. A plus is the barrels were made by High Standard and chrome lined.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The "thingy" is part of the carrier that lifts up to chamber a new round. They can be a little jiggly without the lever fully closed (when empty) or without rounds in the magazine tube. Ditto on what goodiewrench said about being the same as a Marlin except wood.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
So the loose thingy isn't a show stopper. Actually the rifle is old enough to have pretty good wood by todays standards.
I didn't see anything indicating microgroove, however its new enough to be tapped for a scope. I'll go look at the barrel end to see what rifling it has. Does not having micro-groove make it less desirable?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be wondering why they have the lever tied shut on that "grade" of rifle.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Should be okay, but if you had some empty brass to run through it before buying it... You should be able to get it for in the $150 - $180 range, depending on condition.

Micro-groove started in the mid-fifties and JC Higgins were made for Sears by Marlin in the late 50s and early 60s, so it probably is micro-groove. No problems with micro-groove. Some will say different, if shooting cast loads; but if you aren't trying for max speeds with soft lead, cast will also shoot okay.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Been in a pawn shop in a big city? Keeps tweakers from cycling the crap out of it maybe?

N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I've seen bolts tied down, levers tied down, pumps died down and autos tied open and the same with pistols and revolvers...keeps the wannabees from playing cowboy, but more to the point...KEEPS THE WEAPON FROM BEING LOADED IN THE STORE AND USED IN A ROBBERY. If you seem like a buyer and not a looker the store usually will snip off the ziptie and let you check things more closely.

LUCK

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks guys. I noticed all the levers had zip ties and that is a fairly recent thing. This shop is in the city and all the workers have handguns on their hips because of their large gun inventory with lots of handguns. Gangbangers once came in there thinking they could raid it, but the workers we're ready and stopped them in their tracks. There are signs saying not to have your hands in your pockets when in the store...

They would cut the strap for a real buyer and I have seen them run shells through for people so I'm not too worried. I just need to decide if I should buy this project gun or wait for a real marlin deal that comes up.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
How can a grown man use the word "thingy"? whistle

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by humdinger
I just need to decide if I should buy this project gun or wait for a real marlin deal that comes up.

That gun IS a real Marlin, and a deal IMHO.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Rangr44
Originally Posted by humdinger
I just need to decide if I should buy this project gun or wait for a real marlin deal that comes up.

That gun IS a real Marlin, and a deal IMHO.

Agree 100%!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by RS308MX
How can a grown man use the word "thingy"? whistle

Hey - no one told me the name of the thing so its a thingy! Its probably a lever close latch of some type that has to be closed to fire and thats my concern.

I'll go look at it again and see if they will deal. I know there are some odd mossberg designs out there that look similar to a marlin and they may be sold as "higgins" or "williams" brands.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

It sounds as if you deserve your "thingy". Second rate was made for the unknowing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,936
Posts18,498,755
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.