Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nailbender,

The 200 AccuBond will work great on elk. The 210 Partition and TSX are also fine choices.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
HR IC

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Thanks MD

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I like my Tikka T-3 SS. It shoots 225 TSX with R-19 at 2850 into an inch. Does almost as well with the Hornadys. I like it a bunch better than my Ruger 338. Load work up for all my magnums is done on a lead sled and then from bags for final tuning. If you do not want a lead sled put a sand between the gun and you. I have also had good luck with R-22 and 225's and 250 gr. Noslers.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have not heard of a 338WM that wouldn't shoot. I also think it is a calibre that requires a disciplined approach to shoot accurately. It is too easy to develop bad habits with, particularly such a light rifle. The shape of the stock can also be part of the culprit as some seem to kick more though weighing around the same.

I think you will find that if you concentrate, snuggle in and take your time you will end up finding a sub moa group in no time.

Good luck

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Rem. .338 shoots 225 grain bullets best with 76 gr. of R-22. As a matter of fact that is almost a universal load for my gun. Velocity with the 225's is just a smidge (technical term) under 2800 fps.

A favored practice load is 200 gr. Hornady's with 64.5 gr. of R-15. It would likely do anything I need but since I mostly hunt moose I choose to go with the 225's.

Jim

IC B2

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
I went and bought a PAST Mag Plus. Hoping that will make the task more managable.

Thanks agin for the replies.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Nailbender59
I went and bought a PAST Mag Plus. Hoping that will make the task more managable.

Thanks agin for the replies.

I think you'll be glad you did. That was the first thing that came to my mind when you posted the question. I just didn't want to sound like a sissy for suggesting it (I was hoping someone else would though, and they did) laugh. I've never used one before, but in your case I think it would be the way to go. I'm sure your shoulder will be thanking you and you will be able to focus more on the task at hand and not how much it is going to hurt when you pull the trigger grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
That was the first thing that came to my mind when you posted the question. I just didn't want to sound like a sissy for suggesting it (I was hoping someone else would though, and they did) laugh. I've never used one before, but in your case I think it would be the way to go.

If you've never used one before, why on earth would it be the first thing that came to mind?

And if you insist on a nine-pound rifle instead of a 7-lb. rifle due to an aversion to recoil, why would you think that using a recoil pad at the range "sounds like a sissy?"

Isn't that bass-ackwards? Wouldn't you rather tote a 7-lb. rifle while hunting in the mountains and get around its increased recoil at the bench by using a pad, rather than carry a 9-lb. rifle all over creation because you didn't want to look like a sissy at the range with a recoil pad?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
That was the first thing that came to my mind when you posted the question. I just didn't want to sound like a sissy for suggesting it (I was hoping someone else would though, and they did) laugh. I've never used one before, but in your case I think it would be the way to go.

If you've never used one before, why on earth would it be the first thing that came to mind?

And if you insist on a nine-pound rifle instead of a 7-lb. rifle due to an aversion to recoil, why would you think that using a recoil pad at the range "sounds like a sissy?"

Isn't that bass-ackwards? Wouldn't you rather tote a 7-lb. rifle while hunting in the mountains and get around its increased recoil at the bench by using a pad, rather than carry a 9-lb. rifle all over creation because you didn't want to look like a sissy at the range with a recoil pad?

I've walked by those past recoil reducers many times in the stores and thought if I had a really heavy recoiling rifle I'd probably give one a try. I've shot a buddys light (7 pounds) 300 win mag off the bench before and it wasn't a fun experience. I don't mind carrying a 9 pound rifle while hunting. I think you are a little bass ackwards for assuming chit. I still wouldn't own a 7 pound rifle in 338 win mag. When I get old like some of you guys I'll just switch to a light 270 or something with tsx's and call it good whistle. My 338 is not that bad shooting from any position even off the bench, but it weighs 9 pounds and it is just fine. My m1917 is even heavier but I still tote that thing around. Sorry if my post got you all worked up, but I'm not changing my thoughts on the matter.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think you are a little bass ackwards for assuming chit. I still wouldn't own a 7 pound rifle in 338 win mag. When I get old like some of you guys I'll just switch to a light 270 or something with tsx's and call it good..... Sorry if my post got you all worked up, but I'm not changing my thoughts on the matter.

No, your post didn't get me all worked up. I just think it's very odd that people on the internet feel the need to recommend a product that they've never used to someone else. How do they know it works? They don't. They just can't let a thread go by without making a "recommendation" on something they have no experience with.

"When I get old like some of you guys??" That's funny right there, talk about "assuming chit."

You "assume" us "old guys" carry light rifles because we can't carry a heavy one? That's just showing ignorance on your part. We carry light rifles because we don't need to carry heavy ones. Call it the voice of experience if you like, but don't call it "old." I don't know how you define "old" but I'm 53 and I keep up fine with guys half my age.

I carry a light rifle for the same reasons I carry a lightweight tent, sleeping bag, pad, stove, and all my other backpacking gear. Because for an autumn hunt in the Rockies at 10,000+ where you're carrying camp on your back, it adds up and I don't care how young or old you are.

I've packed out an elk a few miles on my back most every year for the last 5 or 6 (mostly on my own, deer too); I don't need another useless 2 lbs. of steel for the trip out.

But you go ahead and knock yourself out, and any time you want to recommend a product you've never used to someone else, do that too. "Old guys" know better.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
I thought I would give an update on this adventure.

I have had two more sessions with the Tikka using the PAST and it makes a difference. I can now shoot the thing without flinching.

I have shot the 225gr Hornady and 225 Accubond over RE19 again and and will re-shoot both with loads that go 2850fps(75grs RE19) and 2800fps(76grs RE19) respectively that produced good groups.

The 225 Hornady has the lead in accuracy, but we will see on the re-shoot. Would not be the first time I had bullets flip flop on accuracy.

I bought a box of 200gr Hornadys to see how the rifle would shoot 200gr and loaded them over H4895, RE15 and Varget. The H4895 and RE15 loads shot very well with sub MOA groups. The Varget loads lagged in the accuracy area.

I am re-shooting the 60gr of H4895 with the 200gr to produce a practice load this runs right around 2700fps.

I tried IMR4350 with the 200gr also and that was a winner with near MOA groups and made 2950 fps. For future reference I wanted to see what velocity and accuracy would be with IMR4350 and without any personal 338WM hunting experience I think the Horn200SP would make a good Deer and medium game load.

Thanks again for recommending the PAST!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by CCCC
In shooting with such recoil, maybe a sand bag under the buttstock just behind the pistol grip could help make it more comfortable.

I like my Past recoil pad, and it also helps to snug the butt up into your shoulder as tight as comfortable. And rotate with a .223 while the barrel's cooling!

Yeper.....those Past pads are the berries

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I've had some pretty decent luck with R22 @ 77.1gr with the Hornady 225 gr. Spire-point bullet. The load used to be listed on the Alliant website, but it hasn't been there for a few years. Velocity in my #4 Douglas 24" tube was 2950 fps. PressureTrace showed the load to be in the range of 64K psi. 200 meter groups were cloverleafs. Fantastic shooting load, but it has really sharp and fast recoil.

I've also had really good results with Varget at around 64 grs, Fed210 and the Hornady 225 gr. bullet. Again PressureTrace showed around the 64K psi mark with my rifle. Velocity was sitting just a hair over 2800fps.

I haven't had much luck with ANY of the 250's. Not that I'm complaining because the first round I squeezed off from the bench left me feeling like I separated my collar bone. It was painful.

My rifle is a Rem 700 ADL with a Decelerator recoil pad and sits around 8.5lbs with scope so it's not too bad from a bench with 225gr bullets and under. Not the most pleasant thing, but I'm able to tolerate extended sessions.

<B>Make it idiot proof, and some one will make a better idiot</B>
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had read about new 338 brass being short in the shoulder and find that I am getting .020 of stretch from unfired to fired in the shoulder.

Could this cause some of my accuracy problems?

Any other thoughts about how to whittle the group size down would be appreciated. I do not expect groups of an 1" or less, but hope to be in the 1 1/2 to 2" range.

Thanks.

I've found in a couple 338 Win Mags I've loaded that Virgin brass rarely gave the best groups for the reason you've just mentioned. You'll get best accuracy with fired brass that has been sized to headspace on the shoulder instead of the belt.

IMO IMR-4350 is the first powder to try in a 338 Win Mag. 69-71gr depending on which weight bullet. Federal GM215M primers don't hurt either.................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by djpaintless
I had read about new 338 brass being short in the shoulder and find that I am getting .020 of stretch from unfired to fired in the shoulder.

Could this cause some of my accuracy problems?

Any other thoughts about how to whittle the group size down would be appreciated. I do not expect groups of an 1" or less, but hope to be in the 1 1/2 to 2" range.

Thanks.

I've found in a couple 338 Win Mags I've loaded that Virgin brass rarely gave the best groups for the reason you've just mentioned. You'll get best accuracy with fired brass that has been sized to headspace on the shoulder instead of the belt.

IMO IMR-4350 is the first powder to try in a 338 Win Mag. 69-71gr depending on which weight bullet. Federal GM215M primers don't hurt either.................................DJ

+1 dj.....

BSA MAGA
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Got my first .338 in 1977, haven't been without one since (played with/used five rifles). My favorite load is 73/IMR 4350, Fed 215M, 210 gr. Nosler Partition. Have yet to recover one from elk or deer, and this load has shot well consistently in all of the .338s I've owned.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shouldn't have sold it, but I had a .338 Tikka Whitetail Hunter, blued with synthetic stock that shot 225 gr Hornady spitzer or Nosler Partitions into itty-bitty groups with 72.0 gr of IMR-4350 and Federal GM LR mag primers.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I had a Winchester M/70 .338 Magnum for many years, the load it shot best was a Speer 275gr. RN over IMR 4350. Shot many 3 shot cloverleaf groups with that old rifle and load. Elk and mulies shot with that load usually dropped on the spot.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (257 mag, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16 invisible), 1,715 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,867
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.