Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slg888
Originally Posted by Karnis
Carpet tack strips on the legs.
They work great.

Any pics? How do you attach? How far up the legs? How long strips? Need more details.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by xverminator
Originally Posted by JCC
Thanks for the ideas. We do use the lethal methods, but I need something that works when I ain't around.

For all ya'll that don't have lots of coons, count your blessings. We have a photo of 8 at one time!

jcc

This is what I use when not around.........
[Linked Image]

Not enough people hunt or trap coons these days due to low fur prices.......the result is an over abundance. Don't know about there but here they are hell on our ground nesting birds.

Last thing I want to do is supplemental feed coons just so they can thrive and do damage to our quail and turkey population.

It is lethal methods only around my farm!!

X-VERMINATOR

Can deer get into this? We've got a coon problem on our lease and have seen 4 or 5 in a pic at the same time. I can't camp out at night just for coons....and need to find a way to get them gone.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by slg888
Carpet tack strips on the legs.
They work great.

Any pics? How do you attach? How far up the legs? How long strips? Need more details.

No pics. Buy them as they come from the hardware store. Use some bailing wire and strap them on wherever you like. They will last one season, maybe two before the wood rots. laugh

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by xverminator
Originally Posted by JCC
Thanks for the ideas. We do use the lethal methods, but I need something that works when I ain't around.

For all ya'll that don't have lots of coons, count your blessings. We have a photo of 8 at one time!

jcc

This is what I use when not around.........
[Linked Image]

Not enough people hunt or trap coons these days due to low fur prices.......the result is an over abundance. Don't know about there but here they are hell on our ground nesting birds.

Last thing I want to do is supplemental feed coons just so they can thrive and do damage to our quail and turkey population.

It is lethal methods only around my farm!!

X-VERMINATOR

What is that? looks like a little hand trap? Is that the idea? stick there hand in there and cant get it back out?

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Exactly, they're called coon cuffs

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

J
jcc Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I have some metal versions called sharks teeth, but I haven't seen they keep the coons off.

jcc

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Carpet tack strips wired or ty-wrapped to your feeder legs. They are cheap, easy to obtain and disposable. Coons don't much like them.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep coon cuffs, no deer cannot get into them. In fact nothing can except coons and the occasional opossum. Coons are known for chewing there own legs off when caught in steel leg hold traps. They do this because it hurts. Coon Cuffs simply hold them without pain....

Couple drops of fish oil on a small marshmallow is all you need to do lots of damage.........grin!

I like this one as well...it's called Lil' Griz Geter'z. The Coon Cuff needs to be buried (my opinion) but the Lil' Griz does not. I use and like both but for different applications.....
[Linked Image]

X-VERMINATOR

Last edited by xverminator; 05/01/11.

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just ordered some lil' griz, so I'll see how they work.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
X, when do you use one style over the other?

Have you tried the Duke dog-proof?

We are over-run with coons. Had a coon-killer machine but he died and my GSD doesn't pursue them all the way to the gates of hell like his predecessor did.

Defend the Constitution
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Alot of guys that I know dont trap or hunt raccoons anymore
like they used to. Low fur prices. A family of raccoons can
destroy a garden in one night.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have never done it but I hear whistle whistle whistle whistle Antifreeze and chicken wings work very well !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tomk
X, when do you use one style over the other?

Have you tried the Duke dog-proof?

We are over-run with coons. Had a coon-killer machine but he died and my GSD doesn't pursue them all the way to the gates of hell like his predecessor did.

Either will work but the 'cuffs with a dirt hole set will catch more coons around feeders IMO. Often this is because coons are naturally curious and can't resist sticking there hands into dirt holes, especially if there is something smelly in there.

Curiosity catches more coon around feeders than just bait IMO.. They already have all the food they could possibly want coming from the feeder!

Where the Lil' Griz shines is the trap line. In the warmer parts of the winter I run coon trap lines on farms that I manage for wildlife. The 'Grizz can be pre-set/baited at home then simply placed on top of the ground and anchored along my routes......Not having to dig holes saves lots of time when you are running around 60+ traps.

With a 50+% catch rate I need to conserve as much time as possible for skinning..........

X-VERMINATOR

Last edited by xverminator; 05/02/11.

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry, I have not used the Duke Dog Proof...

X-VERMINATOR

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have pretty good luck just greasing the legs really good. Works for bears also.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks X

That's a lot of skinning....

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get some Golden Malrin and put some in a dish with either Dr Pepper or another sweet soft drink.

Be careful though as you're poisoning the raccoon and you never know what bunny hugger might try to turn you in for.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livest...golden-malrin-reg-fly-bait-1-lb--2212645

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Carpet tack strips on the legs. Magical. Cheap too.

Thats what my dad does, works like a charm. It is fun to watch them try and get around them and find a way up. Little buggers are smart.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Check these things out. They are called BossBuck Shark Teeth. same idea as the tacks. Scroll down to see them.

http://www.nativeoutdoors.com/powercontrolunits.html

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,074
Posts18,482,669
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.