Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gentlemen,

I currently don't subscribe to any of the rags, but...I would like to. I used to subscribe to Peterson's Hunting and enjoyed it well enough, because I had no expectations for it. I just wanted to be pandered to.

Now, I think I'd like one with some credible gun gack and reloading material. Stories about hunting in places I could never afford to go are fine, but they are not essential.

Which magazine do you suggest? Thanks!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I get Petersons Hunting,Guns and Ammo and Rifle Shooter.Main reason:They are cheap to subscribe to, and Boddington writes some good articles.I still like Rifle and Handloader and have resubscribed to them recently.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I get Handloader, Rifle, and Successful Hunter, and Guns magazines online.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Few magazines have as much reloading material, hunting tales and enjoyable diversions as The Varmint Hunter Magazine. It comes out six times a year and has 200+ pages each time. It comes with a membership to Varmint Hunters Association, LINK

TVHM has articles and photos by members (yup, YOU can be a gunriter!) and advertisers that appear nowhere else.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
What Rocky sez X10.

Between my Brother and me we get all of the mags listed here plus a few more. Some issues may have as many as 3 articles that are of interest to me, similar to the interests expressed by the OP.

Become a member of VHA and you will wish the mag was monthly.

BTW - Rocky has written some very nice articles in VHA.

Great articles also by Barsness, Clarke, McPherson, N.J Anderson and others who really know what they are talking about - I hate to list, 'cause there are many more great writers in the VHA magazine.

I cannot recommend VHA too highly. They used to offer a sample magazine...to those interested.

Try the link.

Roger

NRA Life

CRPA Life
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If handguns interest you, then you might check out American Handgunner. I've been a subscriber for years. Well done magazine.

μολὼν λαβέ
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Tough choices. I subscribe to a number and enjoy them all (to a greater or lesser extent). Handloader and Rifle are excellent, as are Guns, and Shooting Times magazines. As the nice lady in the bordello says, "You pay your money and take your choice".

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks fellas.

I just spent the $20 to get Wolfe's online trifecta: Handloading, Rifle, and Successful Hunter. I'll give these a whirl for now.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It is impossible to beat "GUNS" magazine with articles by JB and articles about Shrapnel. Life couldn't get any better...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I stick to my regular four
GUNS, American Handgunner, Rifle, and Handloader.

Guns&Ammo have damn near turned in to straight schills for their advertisers with little original content outside Boddington. Shooting Times used to be good, but the last issue I picked up was a whopping 78 pages.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The American Rifleman is your best first choice as it includes membership into the NRA!

Next would be the American Hunter also by the NRA.

http://home.nra.org/#/home

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I like the NMLRA's Muzzle Blasts the best, but Field and Stream, American Rifleman, Eastmans Hunting Journal, and Fur-Fish-Game are all really good too.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I think "Guns" is the best general interest gun magazine currently available.

I also like "Shooting Illustrated" from the NRA, it is inexpensive and has all the good articles that used to be in the "American Rifleman."

The Wolfe trifecta online are good, though I might go back to a print subscription now that JB is writing for them again.

I also subscribe to "Guns and Ammo" and "Rifle Shooter" for Boddington's articles and because they're pretty inexpensive for year long subscriptions.

"Sports Afield," though not technically a "gun magazine" has been very, very good recently with each issue being a cover to cover read.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Handloader, Rifle, and Rifleshooter. I like Rifleshooter the best.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Another vote for Guns magazine. I especially like the photography and layout of the magazine.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rifle, Handloader, shooting times, rifle shooter, and sports afield for me.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Handloader and Rifle for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
I stick to my regular four
GUNS, American Handgunner, Rifle, and Handloader.

Guns&Ammo have damn near turned in to straight schills for their advertisers with little original content outside Boddington. Shooting Times used to be good, but the last issue I picked up was a whopping 78 pages.

Can't argue with you about your choices there. They're my must haves. If I had to pare them back it would be a difficult choice, but I think I'd have to stick with Handloader and it'd be a toss up between AH and GUNS.

Also agree with the state of both G&A and ST. In those months that they have particularly thin issues, they'll throw in a bullet poster or Natchez sale catalogue to make up for the exceptional thinness, slide it into plastic and call it a "Bonus Issue". But what they really mean is "bone us". smirk

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Rifle, Handloader, American Rifleman for me.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Varmint Hunter Magazine and Precision Shooting are about the only ones that go beyond the basic repetitive fare of the mainstream newstand gun magazines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 1,950 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,755
Posts18,495,459
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.