Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have heard and maybe some of Ya'll have too, that a tornado will not cross a large river. Well the one that hit Vilonia, Arkansas the other night crossed the Arkansas River between Little Rock and Conway. It not only crossed but blew down trees on an island in the river. On the ground for 52 miles while doing it too. Myth busted. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The other myths that are busted are that tornadoes will not bore into large cities and they are minimal in mountainous terrain.

Actually the third myth is that these are being caused by "global warming". La Nina is the prime energy mover here. Its been documented in tree growth rings for hundreds of years.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
The other myths that are busted are that tornadoes will not bore into large cities and they are minimal in mountainous terrain.

Actually the third myth is that these are being caused by "global warming". La Nina is the prime energy mover here. Its been documented in tree growth rings for hundreds of years.

Think that one was blown out of the water a few years back when one went through the middle of downtown Nashville.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nashville was an example too. But these at the EF4 and EF5 level are unprecedented as was the outbreak. Just giants that caused massive loss of life and incredible damage.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Tornadoes were one thing that I found unnerving living in Tennessee. Hurricanes, though far more destructive, don't sneak up on your a$$ in the middle of the night or come out of nowhere. I much prefer something I can prepare for, then something that just kills your ass in your sleep.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lived in "Tornado Alley" first 40 years of my life--Florida the past 25. A F4 F5 twister is a bitch. You put one of those big bastards on the ground for any length of time--you better hope you got a hole to crawl in. I'll take the hurricane any day--except for the "anticipation period",, that time prior when you WAIT to see if its going to hit you.
G

"If you don't stand up for what you believe,,you stand for nothing"
C
C
Are Tornadoes something that happen mostly in north America? I've never heard of them on the news networks in other countries. What's up with that?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A myth that I heard for the 1st time this year is that tornadoes never happen twice in the same place. Just like lightning, right?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Coss
Are Tornadoes something that happen mostly in north America? I've never heard of them on the news networks in other countries. What's up with that?

They've been seen on every continent except Antarctica but by far the most are in our own tornado alley. There's something about the terrain and ocean combination that creates the right weather patterns for them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'd rather have a tornado by itself. Hurricanes often produce tonadoes. At least in most places now you know when the tornado is coming and it is usually brief- the damage is limited to only those in a direct hit. In a hurricane everyone within 20 miles is damaged plus it may throw out some hurricanes.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've never understood the river thing since tornados over open water (aka waterspouts) have been around forever.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

They've been seen on every continent except Antarctica but by far the most are in our own tornado alley. There's something about the terrain and ocean combination that creates the right weather patterns for them.

Nothing more mysterious than the combination of warm, almost tropical, air from the Gulf of Mexico coming up and meeting cold, almost artic, air from Canada during the spring.

That explains why early in the spring the tornadoes start down low and move up in the country as the months go by. By June, the bad weather will be up north in Wisconsin and Minnesota and high pressure will be settled over the southern plains barring those cold fronts from coming down.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A myth that I heard for the 1st time this year is that tornadoes never happen twice in the same place. Just like lightning, right?

Xenia, OH, comes to mind as an example that shoot's that myth down.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenia,_Ohio

TornadoesOn April 3, 1974 a tornado[4] measuring F-5 on the Fujita scale cut a path directly through the middle of Xenia during the Super Outbreak, the largest series of tornadoes in recorded history. The disaster killed 34 people (including two Ohio Air National Guardsmen who died days later in a related fire), injured an additional 1,150, destroyed almost half of the city�s buildings, and left 10,000 people homeless. Five schools, including Xenia High School, Central Junior High School, McKinley Elementary, Simon Kenton Elementary, and Saint Bridget Catholic School were destroyed. Also destroyed were nine churches and 180 businesses. The city's plight was featured in the national news, including a 1974 NBC television documentary, Tornado!, hosted by Floyd Kalber. President Richard Nixon visited stricken areas of Xenia following the devastation. Legendary comedian Bob Hope organized a benefit for Xenia and, in appreciation, the new Xenia High School Auditorium was named the "Bob Hope Auditorium."

Xenia was hit by a much smaller tornado in April, 1989 and again by another F-4 tornado on September 20, 2000. The 1989 tornado caused over two-million dollars in damage, but no one was killed. The twister of 2000 left one person killed, and 100 people injured. This third tornado followed a path roughly parallel to the 1974 tornado.

Xenia has a long history of severe storm activity. According to local legend, the area was referred to by Shawnee Indians as "the place of the devil wind" or "the land of the crazy winds" (depending upon the translation).[5] This is mentioned on a historical marker on Route 68 on the road from Xenia to Oldtown. Records of storms go back to the early 19th century. Local records show 20 tornadoes in Greene County since 1884.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

That one is true. After a tornado goes through, that place ain't there no more. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I heard on the radio that MAJOR tornadoes with high loss of life are confined to (or have only been reported from) US, Canada, and Bangladesh.

England and Australia have them, but smaller. They did not discuss why.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We almost never have tornadoes in Utah, although we did have one go right through the center of Salt Lake City a few years ago, killing one. I have seen one funnel cloud that did not touch down, also.

So, those disprove both the city and mountain myths.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sycamore

England and Australia have them, but smaller. They did not discuss why.

We do get them, but very rarely, and in comparsion to what you guys get, they are more like giant dust devils...One a few years back took a couple of house roofs off, but usually they are pretty much a non event over here..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Australia doesnt have them much cause most the continent is to dry, need warm moist air and dont get that much when most your interior is some variation of desert.....would guess England doesnt get them much do to lack of really warm moist air.....

if the Himalayas werent in the way of warm moist air coming out of the Indian Ocean you bet you would see alot more of them in Asia.....North America is a bit unique in that there is really nothing to block air from the Arctic Circle to the Gulf of Mexico.....most places have a mountain range or such that slows stuff down....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gkdir
Lived in "Tornado Alley" first 40 years of my life--Florida the past 25. A F4 F5 twister is a bitch. You put one of those big bastards on the ground for any length of time--you better hope you got a hole to crawl in. I'll take the hurricane any day--except for the "anticipation period",, that time prior when you WAIT to see if its going to hit you.
G

Tornados are far more dangerous than hurricanes. Even the tornados spun from hurricanes (and there are LOTS) seldom reach any size.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by guyandarifle
I've never understood the river thing since tornados over open water (aka waterspouts) have been around forever.

I have seen a waterspout at sea in the GOM.

Very odd

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (17CalFan, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,456
Posts18,508,130
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.