Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jayph Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I'll start with a disclaimer: I know McMillan would of taken care of me and there is no question on the quality of the stocks or how good they look. However after ordering two christmas special stocks in December, waiting 4 months and spending $1300 I finally got them today. Only to find out that both were inletted wrong.

the first stock is inletted for detachable bottom metal but unfortunetly the wrong type. It's at the gunsmith and he said with some bedding it will work but will always look a bit ugly.

The second stock has a crown to the action inletting that causes the action to tilt on that point. and the bottom metal is wrong. I am sending the rifle to the maker of the bottom metal to see if it can be made to work or if it's got to make the trip back to McMillan.

I am aware that errors are made and Iam not gonna go off on a hudge rant and sling mud at the company but at the price point I find that both being incorrect unacceptable. I have purchased a few H.S. Precision stocks and a Manners and I have to say after this that McMillan will be near the bottom of the list for my next stock purchase.

The only good news was aside from the wrong inletting the one stock fits me like a glove and is the nicest swirl stock I have ever handled or owned, and quickly became my favorite rifle and probably nicest looking. Which is why I think the inletting being wrong stings so much.

Just felt the need to post.

Thanks

Jason

If Iam not hunting, Iam thinking about hunting.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Did you keep a copy of your order sheet? If so, does it match the tag? Have you talked to Ryan or Dick at McM?

JEff

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Send them back, they'll make them right.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Send them back............

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
J
Jayph Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by SuperSeal110
Send them back, they'll make them right.

Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Did you keep a copy of your order sheet? If so, does it match the tag? Have you taken to Ryan or Dick at McM?

JEff

The sticker on the stock matched my order sheet but the inletting doesn't match the sticker. I haven't talked to McMillan yet. Iam in Canada and I know I can't ship a stock to the states without permits that take time and hassle (not sure how a waranty claim would work) And it is quite expensive to ship. I have faith McMillan would make it right how ever the one stock was for my girlfriends gopher rifle and the best time of year is now so if I can get it fixed here and be shooting by the end of next week that works better for me I don't want any more delays. If it cant be made to work then I will look into the process of sending it back and Iam sure they will be more than happy to help me. The other stock works it's more cosmetic. The inletting is a touch to deep and longer but the holes match up so the gunsmith will fill the gaps with bedding and build it out to the propper depth and it should be good to go. a little more money than I was hoping to spend but should be shooting alot sooner.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by UncleSoapy
Send them back............
Uncledopey will take em.....

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Jayph, definitely contact Ryan to let him know what's going on. And I'd contact him Monday 'cause he got married today and will only be in next few days before he leaves on his honeymoon.

Last edited by slg888; 05/03/11.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
There are NO permits required to send a stock to the States. Send them back.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Send a PM to ShootToWin (Ryan Melancon), he will fast track the repairs.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you ordered them through Rick, that would be the direction to go for satisfaction.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by FVA
If you ordered them through Rick, that would be the direction to go for satisfaction.

Yep McMillan will tell ya to contact Rick. Or they told me to when I needed a bit of help with a order. McMillan has always gone above and beyond to help me with any kind of issue

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jason,

Stuff happens. While we understand the need to vent - particularly when it comes to the hassle of getting things across the border, you might consider contacting the company prior to posting anything.

They'll treat you right.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, I'd much rather take a cheaper stock that was right anyday than have to deal with the needle in the haystack mistake of an Mc being wrong and having to send it back in. I always prefer my customs to be done and ready to shoot about 2 weeks after I start em too..

Yeah right...

Feel your pain. But your comments are like saying I'd take a flipping douglas barrel anyday over a Rock or Krieger, just because of an issue or two out of tens of thousands of non issue Rocks and Kriegers....

Factory rifles out there abound too.

Bottom line to this, if Mc makes it right, then there is no issue.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Jason,
It would be nice for us to know what was wrong with the inletting. The Remington Hunter for the long 700 was ordered for the H.S. Precision DBM and by our records that's what we inletted the stock for and it had our H.S. bottom metal droped in it after inletting to check for fit. These always set a little low in our stocks. The H.S.stock have a bit of a recessed area molded in them around the floorplate for this "dip" and our's are flat as per the Remington BDL floorplate.
The A5 for the Savage was ordered and fitted for the V-bull DBM bottom metal. We have one of these and again it was dropped in the stock and checked for fit when inletting. These, like all DBM's have to be set at a specific depth in relation to the action in order for the clip to lock in place and feed cartridges properly. V-Bull provides a set of pillars cut to the exact length for this to fit properly and we inlet the floorplates to those pillar lengths. They set a little high on the bottom of most stocks that have an open verticle pistol grip as the Savage stocks have a very closed lower pistol grip, but they must be set at that depth in order to work. You don't really have any options here.
Let me know what your people figure out and if you want to return them. You know for the first 30 days you can return them for any reason and we will re-imburse you for the return postage from Canada.
Dick at McMillans

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
JAYPH
Like the others said...contact Ryan, he will take care of you. I have 100% confidence in McM C/S and Ryan is 1st class, more then likely something was handled incorrectly...good hunting.

"my biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my guns for what I told her I paid for them" famous qoute
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have ordered a bunch of Mcmillans and had two issues. One that was taken care of very quickly and McMillan paid for overnight shipping so I could take the rifle on a hunting trip. The other required a new stock. They provided that at no charge, though there was the 3 month wait.

I know it adds to the cost, but if you have any doubts how something will work out, McMillan will fit the stock for you for a charge. For some Mcmillans arn't worth the cost or the wait, but I have yet to use a stock that was better and for me at least I think they are not only a good stock but a bargin.

Last edited by noKnees; 05/03/11.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Send them back, Dick D. will take care of you........

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I had a problem with one of the McM stocks which developed bubbles / voids in the gel coat about 9 - 12 months after delivery to me in UK. I can only say that Lynne and Ryan at McM resolved the situation very promptly, and that I had no difficulties in returning the stock to Phoenix from UK, nor in the return shipment of a completely new replacement.

It did take some time, but I was impressed that McM stood behind their warranty without any questions, and that I was always treated with courtesy and understanding. They offered to refund the shipping costs both ways, and thats not something that happens everyday either.

Just my tuppenceworth.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
love that last line....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Jayph Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I was never worried about you guys not taking care of me I said that in my first post I was just posting my disappointment. The remington hunter looked like the bottom metal was made for something "beefier" it had gaps around both action screw ears. It also sits alittle deep into the stock so the magazine went to far up into the action. the gunsmith is going to add pillars and then bed the bottom metal to fill the small void to get it at the propper depth. It's not out by much and it might just be the small differences in the action and bottom metal that happen in mass production.

The A5 with vbull I don't really know what happened and when the dust clears I might be the one thats wrong. When I put the action in it tedars on a high point. If you push the rear of the action in properly it points up and if you put the recoil lug in properly the barrel hits the stock and it wants to point down. It seems like there is a high point that needs to be taken down a bit, so it can sit flush. The bottom metal when inserted into the inletting doesn't seem to have the mag in the right place and the action screws don't fit for length. I phoned Ed at vbull and he said of the hundreds hes done he has never not been able to use the factory screws. When I put the smaller of the two screws into the stock in both locations it comes up a quarter of an inch short of even coming through the stock without the bottom metal installed. It was boxed up and mailed to Ed yesterday as it's easier to ship a rifle in Canada than to the US and that way he could deal with all the parts involved, Also he was really curious what was going on as he had never come across that problem before. I will update what the issue was when he lets me know even if it was something I was doing. If it needs to come back I will be phoning and I know you will take care of me.

thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by DickD
Jason,
It would be nice for us to know what was wrong with the inletting. The Remington Hunter for the long 700 was ordered for the H.S. Precision DBM and by our records that's what we inletted the stock for and it had our H.S. bottom metal droped in it after inletting to check for fit. These always set a little low in our stocks. The H.S.stock have a bit of a recessed area molded in them around the floorplate for this "dip" and our's are flat as per the Remington BDL floorplate.
The A5 for the Savage was ordered and fitted for the V-bull DBM bottom metal. We have one of these and again it was dropped in the stock and checked for fit when inletting. These, like all DBM's have to be set at a specific depth in relation to the action in order for the clip to lock in place and feed cartridges properly. V-Bull provides a set of pillars cut to the exact length for this to fit properly and we inlet the floorplates to those pillar lengths. They set a little high on the bottom of most stocks that have an open verticle pistol grip as the Savage stocks have a very closed lower pistol grip, but they must be set at that depth in order to work. You don't really have any options here.
Let me know what your people figure out and if you want to return them. You know for the first 30 days you can return them for any reason and we will re-imburse you for the return postage from Canada.
Dick at McMillans

Last edited by Jayph; 05/04/11.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (204guy, 12344mag, 257wthbylover, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 58 invisible), 2,240 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,505
Posts18,509,229
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.