Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4452594 09/27/10
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just discivered this line of clothing from a friend of mine who just did a float hunt with the owners. It looks eerily similar to the older Sitka Gear. Has anyone ever used this stuff? If so, can we get a review on it? Since SG stopped carrying the mountain mimicry camo pattern i've been hoping someone would step up and bring it back onto the market.

http://kryptek.com/

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looks like there is a reason for no repsonses to this thread. Their lneup won't be available until summer of next year and will consist of the following:

Merino Wool base layer top and bottom
Field shirt and pant
Soft-shell jacket and pant
Waterproof/windproof rain jacket and pant
Hats

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bringing this one back around. Just got word that Cabela's will be the only place to get this stuff and it's due out in June.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sweet AKMNTHNTR!!

If you pick some of their gear up let me know so I can check it out in person.

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Larry Bartlett from Pristine ventures seems to have some experience with it & be in the know. He says availablt from Cabela's only for the 1st year & they should have it in stock by June 10.
In his words "Price point will be unbelievable ... Way underpriced for what this gear offers. Comporable to Sitka gear but with Browning prices."
I've got 3 $50 Cabelas gift cards stashed...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been conversing with Larry about this stuff, he says it is good gear and worth every penny so I am going to buy some and test it out this fall on my sheep and moose hunts.

Luke, i'll let you know when I get some and you can come take a look at it. How did your mini bear hunt go last week?

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds great John!!

The bear hunt wasn't much of one. Winds 30 mph and visibiltiy was down to 1/2-3/4 of a mile all day due to blowing snow, fog, and snowing and flat light made me not want to get above treeline very much. Was able to happen to come across one den so I snowshoed up to it and found no one was home, but tracks were all around it.

Here is what it looked like most of the day.....not the best spring riding I have ever been involved with. Certainly wasn't a 150 mile day like it could have been had the weather been better:
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's just plain ugly, how long do you think the snow is going to last up there? I might try and get up there with the sled before it's all gone.

Steelhead

M
M
Kryptek website is up an running. www.KRYPTEK.COM
Lots of good pictures and lots of good info

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I like the camo I wonder how much their gear weighs the specs are little lacking at this point. How much stretch is in the pants? Stitka may be in trouble competition is heating up should be great for the customers.

Last edited by ehunter; 05/03/11.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You'll be able to purchase their stuff from Cabelas in June, that's what i'm waiting on. The price is suppose to be much better than Sitka plus Kryptek will offer their clothes in the Mountain Mimicry pattern, which IMO works great in mountain country.

Steelhead

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I agree that camo is perfect for here in Oregon in the NW too.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I look forward to trying it when I find it 80% off retail..

L
L
hey guys,

I am a supporter of the new Kryptek Apparel. The lineup is basic at this point, but new stuff added in months to come.

One question I was reading was the weight, aside from quality.

My pants: no stretch at all. Unlike Sporthill for example.
These pants are my favorite garment so far, rugged, fit well, plenty of boot length and overhang to keep debris out. Knees have protective coating bonded laminate. plenty of pockets everhwere.

weights:

pants = 25 oz
rain top = 23 oz
rain bottoms = 24 oz
longsleeve shirt = 13 oz

Great quality, unbelievable starting prices. Cabela's wanted Sitka quality with Browning prices, and they got it...they'll move this ineventory quickly IMO.

Lots of cool stuff on their website

http://www.kryptek.com

I'm happy to answer any other specific questions. nice to have some good gear that's MUCH quieter than Sitka gear. The rain gear is great for wind protection while bow hunting, and there is no sound from this clothing when walking or when drawing my bow.

Larry

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Larry I am looking for new rain gear and have all most pulled the button a couple of times on the Kuiu. Can you give us more details on the material in the rain gear your site says it is 3 layer is there gortex in there??? How packable is the rain gear?

thanks

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
I look forward to trying it when I find it 80% off retail..
Good luck with that........... grin

Steelhead

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Its nice to see another entry into the specialty line of clothes.
Competition is a friend of the consumer.

Larry, how easy or hard will hemming be as trying to adjust fully zipped pants inseam is a "never mind".

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
L
L
yuo guys will have to school me on whether photos are allowed on this site? If so, i'll take a snapshot of what the raingear looks like rolled and towed for packs.

To answer your question about Gortex use with Kryptek:

From the designer, Josh Cleghorn, of Kryptek:

"Gortex? NO, were not using Gortex, our rain gear is a Interlock Polyester with DWR and a Microdot lamination"

I'm not a huge GoreTex fan, to be completely honest. My first experience was military use, after that commercial use, and both decades of use has resulted in me looking elsewhere for other choices.

Lastly, i need a rain gear to provide as much wind protection as moisture barrier, and so far this Kryptek gear is rock solid.

How small does it roll up? without photos that's hard to discribe. I roll my top separate from the bottoms to stow in compartments within my MysteryRanch pack. Each roll in rubber banded and looks like a small loaf of bread, about the size of 5 bagels in a roll.

If pictures are acceptable here, let me know how to post and i'll snap a shot to share.

Larry

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yes you can show pictures. I was only asking about the gortex because the description on the website was not clear. I know its 3 layer. This is sounding pretty good and thanks for taking the time for the questions.

thanks

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Where is it made?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,136 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,240
Posts18,504,551
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.