-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We had a similar problem with My Oldest son's Marlin and my first Rem 700.

I paid for shipping for both (to the shop).

Never gave it much thought.

Last edited by temmi; 05/03/11. Reason: (to the shop)

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SKane - I just hope this fellow named "Michael" is not related to Mike Fifer the Ruger CEO...Hopefully, Coyotewacker can send his pix's thru Ruger's 'voice of the customer' feature on their web-site. Just a thought, Homesteader.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had to send my Ruger #1 7x57 back on my own die. damned gun has a Wilson barrel with a 2.5" throat. I couldn'e even get any kind of groups with those long 175 gr. bullets seated out as far as I could get aay with and still hold the bullet in the case. It took Ruger over 7 months before I finlly got my gun back but it's a decent shooter now.
Bill Ruger is long ago dead now and maybe customer service isn't as good as when he as still around. He was still aroud when I had to send my gun in.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redneck
FWIW, it's usually at the cost of the owner to send any firearm back to the manufacturer for repair - even if they fix it under warranty .. They then ship it back at their cost (again, IF it's done under warranty)..

Exceptions can occur - it's why the operative word there is 'usually'..

I didn't know this. I guess I was extremely lucky then.

I've had to send two firearms back to the factory. the first one was a Kimber with a green wood stock. They sent a pick up tag and replaced the stock. The second was a Walther P22 (Smith&Wesson) that I think I broke. They sent a pick up tag for it and when it was returned there was a note in the box saying DON'T DRY FIRE THIS PISTOL crazy

I just thought it was common practice.

Years ago I had bought a Ruger RSI in .270Win that shot 3"-4" groups at 100yds and called Ruger about it. The service tech guy told me that was with in factory specs so I didn't bother sending it back.

Terry

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
I bought a New in the box, Ruger Hawkeye 358 Win. from a gun shop in Idaho, had it sent to my FFL. It looked OK until the next day when I loaded 4 dummie rounds and ran them through the action. I had to work the action with a lot of force. Picking up the rounds off the floor, they were gouged, scratched and dented. Inspecting the feed ramp it was as rough as 80 grit sandpaper. There is two chips in the lips of the feed rail, and the edges are sharp enough the cut your fingers.

Well I called RUGER and talked to Micheal he said the gun was made in 2007 and it is considered a used gun. I told him I have a bill of sale stating it is new unfired except by RUGER test firing it. Then explained the problems with the gun, he said to send it back AT MY COST, at least $30 shipping and insurance. And they will not reimbursed for shipping and insurance.

The only reason I bought a RUGER 358 Win. is because no body else makes one, what a mistake. This will be the last RUGER I ever buy, nothing but AMERICAN MADE JUNK.

Here's some pic's would you pay more to have it fixed?
HERE'S THE TWO CHIPS IN THE FEED RAIL
[Linked Image]
HERE'S THE FEED RAMP LOOK HOW ROUGH IT IS
[Linked Image]
THIS IS WHAT THE CARTRIDGE LOOK LIKE AFTER BEING RUN THROUGH THE MAGAZINE ONE TIME
[Linked Image]
...........C/whacker................Either that rifle left the Ruger factory originally that way (defective), or the gun shop in Idaho mis-represented the condition of that rifle. A NIB rifle shouldn`t have the damage which you describe and shown in your pics.

Since that rifle was made in 2007, I have a gut feeling that this rifle wasn`t "exactly" a NIB.

Imo, your main beef should be with that Idaho gun shop. They were the ones that sold you that rifle. They are the ones, who are supposed to inspect every rifle "before" they sell and ship it to a customer`s FFL. I can understand Ruger`s position on this, because they had absolutely no control over this rifle from the time it left Ruger to the present time covering a time span of some 3-4 years.

If I were you, I`d go after the Idaho gun shop. They are far more responsible than Ruger is. If possible send the Idaho shop your pics.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am not a Ruger rifle fan, BUT...Ruger warranty and factory service are as good as it gets.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I told you so.
.......Shut the "F" up! Other than "I told you so", is possible for you to post anything constructive?

You have no freekin idea, or any damn clue as to the history of that rifle from 2007 to the present.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
Originally Posted by Redeye
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
My .358 Hawkeye was rough as hell too, I lit into it with some sandpaper and smoothed the rails and ramp. It will NOT feed 200gr RN bullets, but everything else is smooth as silk.

I firmly believe that NONE of the .358's can feed 200 grain round-nosed bullets due to the geometry of the action. I had one of the recent .358 Winchesters and found that the nose of the bullet will hit the left edge of the end of the chamber when feeding from the right side of the mag box, and vice versa. And, yes, this is with properly dimensioned ammo. Spitzers will feed -- albiet off center -- because the sharper point of the bullet finds its way into the end of the chamber, whereas the blunt nose of the round-nosed will often hit the end of the chamber and wedge the round in place. But, here's the interesting part: After figuring this out, I carefully examined my late '90's vintage .308 and found THE SAME EFFECT GOING ON. But, due to the smaller diameter of the bullet, the .308 WILL feed round-nosed bullets -- just barely. The still enter the end of the chamber to one side, but they work.

I took detailed pictures of all of this (with the .358) and sent them along with the gun to Ruger. Got it back with an invoice saying they'd replaced the mag spring. The gun still had exactly the same issue. In my opinion, the original design is flawed; the angle of the feed ramp is wrong relative to the other geometry of the short-actioned Ruger. It's true of all short-actioned Rugers, but only causes problems with the larger caliber. Don't believe me? Load some dummy rounds and slowly work them through the action. You'll probably want to apply a heavy crimp, because, after a few cyles, the bullets will start to be pushed back into the case without it.

I worked over my feedramp enough that the 200gr RN will feed from the left side of the mag but not from the right. I sold all my RN bullets and am only using SP's now though. A little more time on the feedramp and they will feed. That is probably going to be a summer time project.

Interesting about the other calibers and RN bullets.

Is it just me, or is there something wrong with not being able to shoot RN bullets in a 358win? confused Those two were made for each other, and a 358 that can't shoot RN bullets is like a Pickup that can't carry or tow anything. smirk At 358 ranges the RN bullets do anything needed and then some. wink

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have had to send a rifle in 338 ruger back for a simliara reason and while I went complaining into the night about having to pay shipping, they definitly turned the thing around in short order and it was fixed. I am surprised they charge for shipping and its sad they dont' have better quality control before shipping it out, but that is why we have $1900 nosler rifles, huh?

I bought a New in the box, Ruger Hawkeye 358 Win. from a gun shop in Idaho, had it sent to my FFL. It looked OK until the next day when I loaded 4 dummie rounds and ran them through the action. I had to work the action with a lot of force. Picking up the rounds off the floor, they were gouged, scratched and dented. Inspecting the feed ramp it was as rough as 80 grit sandpaper. There is two chips in the lips of the feed rail, and the edges are sharp enough the cut your fingers.

Well I called RUGER and talked to Micheal he said the gun was made in 2007 and it is considered a used gun. I told him I have a bill of sale stating it is new unfired except by RUGER test firing it. Then explained the problems with the gun, he said to send it back AT MY COST, at least $30 shipping and insurance. And they will not reimbursed for shipping and insurance.

The only reason I bought a RUGER 358 Win. is because no body else makes one, what a mistake. This will be the last RUGER I ever buy, nothing but AMERICAN MADE JUNK.

Here's some pic's would you pay more to have it fixed?
HERE'S THE TWO CHIPS IN THE FEED RAIL
[Linked Image]
HERE'S THE FEED RAMP LOOK HOW ROUGH IT IS
[Linked Image]
THIS IS WHAT THE CARTRIDGE LOOK LIKE AFTER BEING RUN THROUGH THE MAGAZINE ONE TIME
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both my buddy and I sent revolvers (purchased used in both cases) to Ruger for minor repairs. Even though we were not the opriginal owners, the repairs were done free of charge and neither of us were charged for return shipping.

If I thought the rifel was truly NIB, I would not be happy about paying shipping to Ruger. That said, the rail damage should have been noticed at the time of the purchase and the rifle refused or a new price negotiated.

I do suspect Ruger will pay the shipping both ways in this case if the right person is reached and I suspect there are lots of "right people" that can make it happen. Start with the dealer and work your way up the distribution chain, get in touch with marketing and explain nicely what you will do if Ruger DOESN'T make it right, get in touch with management, etc.

I once wrote IBM's president regarding a customer service issue. While I didn't get an answer from the presidnet, I did get a rapid response from his office and things were right in a hurry. Same thing with Sun Microsytems when I sent a letter to the top with copies to board members. Presto-fixo.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
Is it just me, or is there something wrong with not being able to shoot RN bullets in a 358win? confused Those two were made for each other, and a 358 that can't shoot RN bullets is like a Pickup that can't carry or tow anything. smirk At 358 ranges the RN bullets do anything needed and then some. wink

No, it's not just you. If I can't shoot RN bullets in a .358 I'm not using it. I tried my damnedest to get it to feed, and improved it quite a bit in the process, but not enough that I could trust the thing. What urked me about it was the fact that I sent enough info and pics to Ruger to truely "paint a picture" for them. Yet, they either didn't get it or weren't going to acknowedge the problem exists.

Last edited by Redeye; 05/03/11.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I am not a Ruger rifle fan, BUT...Ruger warranty and factory service are as good as it gets.

Yes Sir, I have sent back 1 m77 , 2 Number 1's and a redlabel and never paid dime one for a repair. They were all returned in a very timely fashion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
is possible for you to post anything constructive?

About a Ruger?....errrr....errrr....errr.....They are cheap to buy second handed?

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Yes Sir, I have sent back 1 m77 , 2 Number 1's and a redlabel and never paid dime one for a repair. They were all returned in a very timely fashion.

Wow...glad you didn't have to pay and good to hear they were returned quickly........but having to return four rifles (3 different models!) looks like a trend. sick

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

About a Ruger?....errrr....errrr....errr.....They are cheap to buy second handed?

The bolt handles don't fall off and the triggers don't fire without being touched. How's that?

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
The 2 chips in the feed rail happened when I was trying to cycle the bolt. Not before I received the gun. That in my way of thinking is the metal is brittle.

I ran a metal fab, welding, machine shop for 30 years. And did my own gunsmithing for longer than that. So how can a brass case chip a steel rifle action.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

........Swampy! You are truly one stupid,,,,idiot! The OP was sold a NIB Ruger, not a second handed one. It was represented as a NIB rifle. His complaint is with the Idaho gun shop. From around 2007 Ruger had no control over that rifle, you moron.

And, I`ve seen a few 2nd handed Rugers shoot lights out! And your point is what there, Mr. Dumbskee??

Oooops! You couldn`t articulate a point with any good logic or reasoning even if your life depended on it!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The 2 chips in the feed rail happened when I was trying to cycle the bolt. Not before I received the gun. That in my way of thinking is the metal is brittle.

I ran a metal fab, welding, machine shop for 30 years. And did my own gunsmithing for longer than that. So how can a brass case chip a steel rifle action.
.........Well that may change things a little, in that you may not be able to a return the rifle to the gun shop.

Were the shells you tried to cycle fully sized or partially sized? If partially sized, that could be your problem.

I bought a NIB 300 WSM Ruger Frontier back in Mar `07 directly from my local dealer. Fully inspected the rifle before I took it home.

After partial sizing six rounds of once fired brass and loading them up, I loaded the magazine and tried re-cycling the bolt. They wouldn`t even chamber and obviously I couldn`t
close the bolt. The 35 degree 300 WSM casing shoulders were hanging up.

I simply adjusted the die to fully size the casings and the problem was immediately solved. Haven`t had any feeding issue since.

If you at first partially sized, now try fully sizing your casings.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Swamptroll, Hope you never go any place,but you really are a piece of dog [bleep].

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very intellectual post. You know you making good progress, when they have nothing but name calling left.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

382 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,647
Posts18,512,544
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.