-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dude! If you don't want to use the stuff then don't use it! If you don't want to buy rifles that have been slathered with the stuff then don't buy them! That's your prerogative. Now that you've stated your preference and have been answered STFU! The subject is pretty much closed. Go on with your small collecting life. wink

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
skidrow,

Other than playing sycophant to Calhoun, non sequiturs, and personal insults, what contribution did you made to this discussion?

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
To the general forum, is there some sort of financial or personal connection members have to �Snakeoil� that I have missed from past posts? Is the vendor a member here, or do some members make a living selling it? I expected a discussion in response to my original post, but not a visceral shout down.

Burning the blasphemer I don�t have a problem with, I�m pretty much fireproof. However, I�m here to give and take info. Telling newcomers to this forum that there are no issues using it, is doing them a disservice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Randy. Your village is missing it's idiot.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RandyS:

I use it.

I like it, especially on wood that is dry.

On varnished wood, just makes it shiny, probably doesn't penetrate that varnish much.

You can use it or not use it, but one thing is for certain.

You have to have thicker skin if you are going to hang around here much. wink

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
No one on here sells it, and the owner does not post here as far as I know! its a good product, enough already! works on all wood not just gun stocks.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Jed 1899
Randy. Your village is missing it's idiot.

I beg to differ. They have the best one around.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So you're just a troll with nothing to add eh? Well then as said before STFU. We piss each other off enough around here without input from a troll.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Out of curiousity, I contacted the NRA Museum today to ask what they used to keep their exhibits looking spiffy. A conservator replied back:
"we use a microcrystalline wax (Renaissance Wax) on all of the firearms on display and in storage. We do not use Snake Oil."

He did not, however, state why. Just throwing it out in the form of general information. No intent to stir the pot!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
gnoahhh, Thanks for going out of your way. Good info.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ron Coburn of Savage puts all his storeaged arms in airtight plastic bags.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
A fellow in town I met seals a lot of his. I have to comment on Snake oil. I've never used it and chances are never will. A couple years ago I came across a gallon of ezox for a song and that will do me till the end. The stuff is very close to what they brag but I would't want to buy it by the bottle. I have to think a product named Snake oil has a pun in there. I tryed to find info on what it was made of and came up short. Another guess of mine is it is made of every day off the shelf oils a company can buy. Mix up an elixir and there you go. Kind of like WD40, mineral oil , mineral spirits and scent. Funny stuff that WD40, it grew mold on on a couple rifles I took out in the boat.

Last edited by lowprofile; 05/04/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anything else you'd care to speculate on while you're at it? Of all the brands of beer you've never tried, which is your favorite? confused

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've vacuum sealed a few firearms, nothing special about it that I can see.

JEff

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Sierre Nevada pale ale. Good stuff, it's not just for breakfast any more.

Last edited by lowprofile; 05/04/11.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think he makes a valid point. WD-40 is about as close to modern day Medecine Show Snake Oil as you can get, yet everybody and his cousin sings the praises of the stuff to the high heavens.

Remember, the flim flam artists in rural 19th century America made millions selling secret elixir Snake Oil to the rubes. I guess people just wanted to be conned. THAT IS NOT a dig against the SO y'all are using. My point is they could have come up with a better name for it due to the classic connotations of chicanery associated with it.

Mind you I'm ambivelant about SO either way. I believe everybody has a method for protecting their guns that works for him and is wary of all others. I know I do, and have no intention of switching to SO, whether it's wonderful or not. Could it be that a lot of people feel the same way but aren't expressing themselves clearly? Dunno.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
In my lifetime I've gone through 3 gun-protection regimens:
Hoppes; Eezox; and now Snake Oil.

Over the last month or so I gave all my guns a dose of SO. I did this based on the recommendation of some highly respected members of this forum. Time will tell if it was a good decision.

Both Hoppes and Eezox worked...we'll see.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used SO for years and years...never an issue.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I just look at my guns with a real mean expression on my face and defy them to ever get musty. It works. (If you saw my face you would know why!)

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I'd like to see a material safety data sheet, that might tell of a few ingredients, no luck finding one.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,570
Posts18,473,278
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.