Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JBLEDSOE

I cannot shoot with both eyes open with any type sight. My problem is that I don't have a dominant eye.

Thanks for saying that, JBLEDSOE. I'm in the same boat but thought people here would think me crazy so I didn't post about it.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone shoot with both eyes closed?

I find it mitigates recoil quite a bit.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by chris375
Hook: Most "experts" see things from their point of view. If you see no difference or improvement over what you have been doing, why change? Chris

We don't have to get too far into beat the experts to death on this one. IF you want the best visual performance, you leave both eyes open. Close one, and the other one is sympathetic to an extent as they are used to being a pair and working as such. Then the single open eye the pupil dilates which leads to less clarity. At least tahts how its explained to me and when you research it, it makes sense.

The issue though is how much is good enough for most of us? Shooting the average target, lets say 150 pound whitetail, at 75 yards and probably wiht a 9x scope.... you just ain't gonna see a difference with one eye closed or both open because your target is so huge.

Turn that around and demand a tiny group at a long distance and you need every plus you can get on your side.

Mostly for whats done by the average joe, it really doesn't matter as long as don't use the wrong eye and sight back and forth.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Leaving both eyes open reduces eye strain. But I'm pretty sure I have seen shooters who have dark lenses on their shooting glasses for the non-dominate eye.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another non-dominant eye guy here. If anything it leads more strongly to the left--never the right (I'm right handed).

So handgun, rifle (irons or scope), shotgun, etc have to be one-eyed. Makes that pirate patch I bought for Halloween a real bargain, though.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Right handed and close the left eye lid partially. Just happens automatically.

Much over 6x from the bench and two images often appear. Some days it is more prevalent than others.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Anyone shoot with both eyes closed?

I find it mitigates recoil quite a bit.

TFF! laugh

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I usually shoot better with both eyes closed....

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't have a dominant eye either, and it's impossible for me to 1) shoot with both eyes open and, 2) explain to someone with a dominant eye why this is true.

Predictably, there are experts telling all of us that we'll shoot better if we keep both eyes open.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Shooting with both eyes open really helps in shotgunning, and some kinds of iron sight shooting, especially where the front sight is large enough that it helps to see the target with both eyes.

But for most scope shooting about the only advantage is the off-eye relaxation that Jeff mentioned. In fact, even when using a spotting scope for long periods I've found it helpful to place a strip of tape over the left lens of my eyeglasses, so I can leave that eye open. But obviously it really doesn't help in seeing the target, as it does in shotgunning and iron-sight shooting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well this is a refreshing thread, here all this time I've thought I was the only one with this problem. I'm ready to come clean now:

"Hello, my name is Jim and I'm a non-dominant..."

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Welcome, Jim and thank you for sharing.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mule Deer,

Do you use transparent/translucent tape or opaque tape on your glass lens that isn't looking through the spotting scope? I would guess you use the clear "Scotch" tape like some people use to just "blur" the view a little when shotgun shooting, but I'm curious.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I use opaque tape, usualy duct tape or electrical tape, then leave the tape stuck to my scope afterward.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I really can't do both eyes open. When I try it there's this alternate, not quite parallel universe cluttering up my sight picture. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
mathman,

You've taken the first step on your journey of enlightenment. The next step is to forgive those who think they know what's best for you, but really don't have a clue. wink

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see 2 positive aspects to keeping both eyes open. 1st. I'm aware of everything, especially movement, within my entire field of view. I.e. if a second unseen elk shows up in the background, I'll see it. With the off eye closed, all I will see is the target.

2nd. and it's rather unique, was/is the exercise of shooting edgewise playing cards with 22LR's and iron sights. One can not actually see the card, but with light from one side or the other, he can pick out the shadow. One then goes after one side or the other of the shadow depending on light direction. When aligning front and rear sights with my dominant right eye, the subtleties of the card's shadow essentially become invisible. With my left eye open, the shadow becomes visible, and the brain is able to mesh the left and right eye images into a proper sight picture.

1Minute
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JBLEDSOE

I cannot shoot with both eyes open with any type sight. My problem is that I don't have a dominant eye. I can shoot right or left handed with equal ease. With iron sights I have great difficulty shooting with both eyes open. Everything will work ok for a shot or two, then a wide miss because I am looking at the rear sight with one eye and the front sight with the other eye. It saves me much confusion to just close one eye.

Exact same situation here. But if I wait too long for the shot my closed eye grows twitchy.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Frosted tape is correct really. But we are picking nits unless its competition shooting.

I have blinders for my off eye. I have both an opaque one thats like a milk jug, and and adjustable polarized one for variable light conditions.

Ideally for the least strain you darken or blur just enough that the eye can't focus. Anything more is gettin closer to closing the eye. BUT not closing the eye even with black electricians tape on it, is much better than closing the eye.

I can't comment on shotgun, as it takes me boxes of shells to shoot a limit of doves, Id' be better off throwing the gun at em mostly. I have a benefit sporting clays shoot Sat Am. If I were in rare form I MIGHT scare 50% of them...

But as noted in rifle i know it can make a difference, but like we've said, it depends on what your accuracy needs are. But I do know others that roll with elect. tape ready to flip on their off lense for hunting because it helps. Me, I don't worry to much about hunting shots, put it where it'll hit the brain somewhere or the lungs somewhere and let the gun go off. Long as the wobble area is small enough I"m not striving for perfection on those shots.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John,

You should know by now, that here at the Fire, if the tape is not blue, it is no good at all.

Can't believe you missed that.

Blue tape forever!!

Steve

But on the other hand, I do us black electrical tape on my rifles.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 25aught6, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 47 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,923
Posts18,518,859
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.