Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by nsaqam
What an incredible waste of human flesh Swampy is.

You are making some unwarranted assumptions here. I'll let you parse out exactly where. (hint: It starts with "h")

Last edited by BrentD; 05/04/11.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
GB1

Armen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickyD
How many American's died in this highly successful operation? I think the answer is ZERO.

And some of you are bitchin about some weird tail rotor section of a helo that no one can tie down the model/make of.

Get some focus.

RickyD, I'm assuming your comment was directed to me, as my name was in the 'reply' field.

There is some bitching going on in this thread, but not about the type of helicopter that crashed or its wreckage. The mission was highly successful, and definitely worthy of much praise. That's been rightly done in other threads, and hopefully in many more to come.

The POSSIBLE use of a new, previously unseen helicopter (or a heavily modified existing one) incorporating stealth technology in this op' is darn intriguing, IMO. There is no copter in use in the publicly known US arsenal (that I'm aware of) that has that particular tail rotor, or is constructed of composites. Zero rivets in any of the debris skin.

Bitchworthy? No way. Interesting? Absolutely (to me, anyway).

Last edited by Armen; 05/04/11.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
No sir, it was not directed to you. I didn't want my post to follow swampy's so I posted from the OP, that being you. Sorry for the insinuation. I find it interesting too.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Chinook, was not trying to land in the compound. Got down buy the walls, and could not pick up enough air to lift/keep it flying. Like trying to pull water over a wing dam!! Even if the tail rotor had not been hit, couldn't pull enough air fast enough to lift off. Anyone want to dispute this?

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I will dispute it.

When did Chinooks get a tail rotor?

Brian

IC B2

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also 4100ft msl at night... Not that big a deal. Plenty of power.

Get up around 8-9000ft plus, 40*C, and I'd buy the arguement.

But to be honest, and not so cantankerous, I admit there's a distinct possibility they encountered settling with power.

Brian

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swampman700
And the spin goes on.......wag the dog.

I don't think you know who you're crossing swords with....Armchair quarterbacks are very tiresome.

I do know Pugs. Hardly an "armchair quarterback". Can you match his service record? How about his technological expertise? Probably not.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by BW
Yeah, I will dispute it.

When did Chinooks get a tail rotor?

Well, they do have a rotor on the tail... wink

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
"the Marianas Trench of stupidity"...........

I'm cryin'....

+1

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Aft Pylon. smile

But don't get me lying... I'm not a [bleep] guy, nor play one on TV. laugh

Weird... I added some smilies. But they didn't show up. Plus the reply window is real small on my 'puker.

Last edited by BW; 05/05/11.

Brian

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by BW

Aft Pylon. smile

But don't get me lying... I'm not a [bleep] guy, nor play one on TV. laugh

Weird... I added some smilies. But they didn't show up. Plus the reply window is real small on my 'puker.

Sounds like a personal problem.

Hey, I only know 10 things about helos:

1) load grunts onto/into them like sardines;
2) they are really damned loud;
3) they can/will shake you to the point that your kidneys and tonsils switch positions;
4) they sound and act like they are trying to come apart at the seams;
5) they don't like being shot at much, nor birds, nor anything else;
6) they generally take grunts to places grunts would rather not be;
7) grunts are off-loaded from them into those places, after being packed like sardines and shaken into no-longer-human-resembling forms;
8) once they get grunts to those places, they leave... normally taking stuff the grunts would like to keep with them;
9) when called back to get those grunts, they always have "mechanical difficulties" (not exactly comforting to grunts);
10) they are always early taking grunts to bad places, and always late picking them up.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My question is, why do we have pictures of the crashed, damaged helo against the compound wall, partially covered with tarps in the DAYLIGHT? Didn't the raid take place around 1 AM in the dead of night, and wasn't the downed helo blown up by our guys in the 40 minutes before they left? Just what are these daylight pictures, anyway?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
My question is, why do we have pictures of the crashed, damaged helo against the compound wall, partially covered with tarps in the DAYLIGHT? Didn't the raid take place around 1 AM in the dead of night, and wasn't the downed helo blown up by our guys in the 40 minutes before they left? Just what are these daylight pictures, anyway?

They blew up everything but the tail rotor. We're long gone when those pics are taken.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was seeing pictures of the airframe and rotors on the CBS evening news. The rotors had some attachments that were shown in close up and were purported to be sound deadning equipment. I don't think we are talking about the same photos.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
I was seeing pictures of the airframe and rotors on the CBS evening news. The rotors had some attachments that were shown in close up and were purported to be sound deadning equipment. I don't think we are talking about the same photos.

If you find those, please post them. I haven't seen any photos other than the tail rotor assembly resting on the wall and the charred frame.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Foxbat--Thanks for the comeback. Unfortunately, I am on dial up, and can't run them down or post pictures. But it was definitely on CBS and their evening news on 04 May. Perhaps someone else can help with this. They even had an "aviation expert" commenting on the stealth technology of the rotors.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hunter1960

What crashed might of been some prototype 66's that Sikorsky had built and the Army took them off their hands. The 160th has been flying armed Hughes(now Boeing) 500 series aircraft for years, that weren't used throughout the Army other then 160th Bn's. They might of grabbed these Sikorsky proto-type 66's. I know some were built, i saw a Discovery Ch. TV show of a Sikorsky test pilot showing it off.

Look at the pic tail section of the crashed heli more carefully; the tail rotar is completely different to those on the comanche pics...

Speculation else where is that the crashed chopper was a heavily modified "stealthy" Blackhawk...

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The helicopters that flew the Navy SEALs on the mission to kill Osama bin Laden were a radar-evading variant of the special operations MH-60 Black Hawk, according to a retired special operations aviator.

The helicopter�s low-observable technology is similar to that of the F-117 Stealth Fighter the retired special operations aviator said. �It really didn�t look like a traditional Black Hawk,� he said. It had �hard edges, sort of like an � F-117, you know how they have those distinctive edges and angles � that�s what they had on this one.�

In addition, �in order to keep the radar cross-section down, you have to do something to treat the windshield,� he said. If a special coating was applied to the windshield it is �very plausible� that would make the helicopter more difficult to fly for pilots wearing night-vision goggles, he said. The helicopters carrying the SEALs arrived over the bin Laden compound at about 1 a.m. Monday local time. One crash-landed in the courtyard and was so badly damaged it was unable to take off again.

That crash landing might have been caused by a phenomenon known as �settling with power,� which occurs when a helicopter descends too quickly because its rotors cannot get the lift required from the turbulent air of their own downwash. �It�s hard to settle with power in a Black Hawk, but then again, if they were using one of these [low-observable helicopters], working at max gross weight, it�s certainly plausible that they could have because they would have been flying so heavy,� the retired special operations aviator said, noting that low-observable modifications added �several hundred pounds� to the weight of the MH-60, which already weighs about 500 to 1000 pounds more than a regular UH-60 Black Hawk.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/05/army-mission-helocopter-was-secret-stealth-black-hawk-050411/

[Linked Image]

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
There were 4 (or possibly 5) UH-60 Blackhawks that were drastically modified by Lockheed) to incorporate stealth technology. The entire body was reconfigured with a no-exposed rivet and radar adsorbent composite skin. The tail plane was swept and "cover plates" (shown in the photos) were mounted to cover the main and tail rotor components. A 5 blade tail rotor was incorporated. These modifications drastically reduced the sound and radar signature.

These copters have been flying for about 6-7 years and have been used before in covert missions. The MAJOR problem is what happens now - the Pakistanis have certainly turned the wreckage over to their friends, the Chinese! Just recall the technology the Chinese got from the Navy EP-3 that was landed in China by the USN pilot following a mid-air!!!

POC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But I heard on the news that Apache's brought in and took out the troops.

I guess they were hanging off the wheels....??????

If anything I state appears to be medical advice, I am not a doctor; be sure to contact your family physician before making any changes in your medical regimine.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,594 guests, and 784 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,816
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.