LOL, ain't THAT the truth!

Fred

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Owe yeah...Heck,I think my 300 Win Mag numbs 'em also but my 270 Win kills 'em just as dead.I don't disagree with either of you guys,maybe I took JB's post differently but like it really matters...It was the moment long gone in meaning.

Jayco

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
For what it's worth, I don't think there are many elk cartridges better than the 338, if a person can handle the recoil. (I can't). I also think there are others as good and even more that are so close that most could not tell the difference.
I think sometimes we fall into the trap of pulling out a quote that someone well known has said and putting way more meaning in it than he or she meant to put into it. For example, if you read the write ups in the various loading manuals posted by gun writers, it would seem the cartridge they are writing about is the only one worthy of a coat of gun oil, but in reality, they almost all use several different cartridges.
For most of us, this shooting/hunting thing is just for fun, and part of the fun is experimenting with different bullets and rounds. If we can be impartial observers of what happens with our experiments, we all gain, making it even more fun.
Not many bad people on here, no matter what they shoot!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by logcutter
Once you kill several dozen Elk(36 or more) with it Coyote,tell me how it works on Elk..Anything less tells us little. grin grin grin

Jayco

Taterhead -

I'll never make 36 elk with the 7mm RM -- it was my sole bolt-operated tool for 20+ years but I've simply have too many other toys these days. Guess I'll never REALLY know how well the 7mm RM works...

Do you think my 26" #1 in .280 Rem would work or would I just be begging for a long and fruitless foot chase? wink

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 05/05/11. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Taterhead grin

As to your 26" tubed .280 Rem..I would start jogging now.If you plan on using that to harvest Elk,you will need to be in shape as A foot chase is in order.

Jayco laugh

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by krp

Old say'n... The more I do, the less I 'know'.

Kent

This. The more stuff I kill with different calibers I finally realized that its not what you shoot them with but where you shoot them.

If a yearling whitetail doe can be shot twice in chest with a 180 grain partition from a 300 ultra and still run off nothing short of artillery will drop elk in their tracks all the time.

Dink

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L

That's a fact and I guess the point I was getting at with this post is........Nobody knows it all including John Barsness........He has an opinion as we all do and he also drinks his hooch and calls people like Coyote Hunter a liar,straight out, and he is by far not a liar in any way shape or form.One of the straightest shooters I have ever known.

He read this post and put me on ignore rather than answer why he wrote what he wrote about the 338 Win Mag and the measly Campfire members that have not killed atleast a dozen Elk and better yet several dozen, with the 338 Win Mag yet his kills on Elk with it, total four.

Every single person posting on the net and this forum has to be accountable for what they post,drunk or sober!!!!!Nobody ever questions him except me....

Just an opinion.........

Jayco

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Taterhead grin

As to your 26" tubed .280 Rem..I would start jogging now.If you plan on using that to harvest Elk,you will need to be in shape as A foot chase is in order.

Jayco laugh

Kind of like if I used a .270? Are you saying .007" really isn't magic? Oh, NO!!! grin

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
As Chubby Checker sang...It's all in the twist!!!!Some twist better than others.

Jayco

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

That's a fact and I guess the point I was getting at with this post is........Nobody knows it all including John Barsness........He has an opinion as we all do and he also drinks his hooch and calls people like Coyote Hunter a liar,straight out, and he is by far not a liar in any way shape or form.One of the straightest shooters I have ever known.

He read this post and put me on ignore rather than answer why he wrote what he wrote about the 338 Win Mag and the measly Campfire members that have not killed atleast a dozen Elk and better yet several dozen, with the 338 Win Mag yet his kills on Elk with it, total four.

Every single person posting on the net and this forum has to be accountable for what they post,drunk or sober!!!!!Nobody ever questions him except me....

Just an opinion.........

Jayco

I went and found the thread in question and post the quote was taken from. Here is a little more.

I should also point out, however, that I've shot more elk with .30 calibers than any other bore size, the cartridges ranging from the .30-06 up to the .300 Weatherby, including my three biggest bulls. None have gone more than 25 yards, and my biggest bull went only 20 feet after being shot with a 180-grain bullet at 250 yards--from a .30-06. So I'm also a natural skeptic when people start proclaiming something "the best" on any kind of game, partly from having seen so much game shot with various cartridges and bullets.

With the .338 and elk part of my skepticism comes from a survey on the Campfire several years ago--after yet another post proclaiming the greatness of the .338. Turned out he had shot one elk with the .338.

So I asked everybody else to post their experience with the .338. It turned out that very few had taken more than a dozen animals with the cartridge, and the average was between 4 and 5. In my experience, a dozen animals is a start on learning what a cartridge will do, but several dozen is a much better number. Four or five doesn't tell us much at all.

In the same post earlier.

I've also used the .338 on other large North American game considerably, including musk ox and Alaskan moose, and in Africa even more, where I also observed other people using it a lot. My experience is that African game of about the same size as elk (especially gemsbok, blue wildebeest and zebra) is a very similar bullet "test." The data gathered was considerable, encompassing dozens of animals and a wide variety of bullets from 200 to 275 grains, though probably the most-used bullet weight was 225 grains.

I believe you are reading elk where he say's animal, I imagine he meant what he wrote.

The other two issues weren't in that thread or the OP, has nothing to do with the quote.

I still read that it's just where it should be considered as a cartridge, a good one. Just not something on a pedestal overshadowing other good ones.

Kent

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All this talk about the .338 Win mag is making my shoulder ache. Can we go back to talking about the .270 and .30-06 now? grin

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
No, let's talk DRT's with a .308...

Last year, second rifle tag since my first in '91... 150gr GMX with H4895, 99. 20in barrel, est. 2600ish. I knew I was getting a shot 200 or less, sure enough it was a 7 iron out.

I had a epiphany, DRT's are where you shoot'em, dead is dead...

Sell everything else, I found the hot mama...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh thank goodness you got cropped out of that pic....
No one should have to see that. wink

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
Oh thank goodness you got cropped out of that pic....
No one should have to see that. wink

I heard there was a shortage of eye bleach nationally, didn't want to unduly cause suffering to those that have had to cut back on nonessentials due to the price spike.

Kent

Y
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
The 338 WM is an excellent all around gun if you can handle the recoil. It can hand loaded up or down. My load is a 225 Woodleigh with 71.0 grs. of H4350. I have yet to watch an Elk not go down in his tracks if hit correctly. Partion bullets are not one of my perferred bullets on Elk. I also agree using 250 grainers when your in serious Bear territory.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
338 what? grin

Rather be fishing!!!!

[Linked Image]

Off my cell phone fishing if it doesn't work.

Jayco

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Should be able to catch a few fish now that you have caught the bait.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Time to go home.....Limited out.....The 300 Win Mag rules as an Elk KILLER. grin

[Linked Image]

Jayco

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Looks like a lot of fun and good eats.

Kent

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
But....You half to catch atleast a dozen fish with certain bait if not several dozen to see if it works. grin grinOne or two is not a definition of what works...........

There brining/filleted as we speak for a smoking tomorrow,Idaho style....

I will save you one KRP.

Jayco

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,532
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.