Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gg_godd
If yall could only have 1 (ONE) (WON) lightweight centerfire rifle to hunt everything that western canada has to offer what would you pick?

TWO of whatever you pick (2) cause you know [bleep] Happens. You buy the 2nd one for insurance and never need it but if you don't have it, you will need it. If you can't afford more than one gun you can't afford to hunt either unless you are popping a deer out your backdoor.You asked for advice I gave it to you. Magnum Man

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Only one gun? Frightening thought.

Big time! One main gun I get, but just one no thx. Unless I was a mid western whitey hunter exclusively I'd have no want for only one gun.

Always best to have a back up.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Only one gun? What a horrible thought. To be honest, my heart says my very nice custom Oberndorf Mauser in .35 Whelen. With my pet load using the 225 gr. Barnes TSX over a stiff load of RL-15, I figure I'd be good to go anywahere on North or South America.
On a more practical note, my J.C. Higgins M50 30-06 that sits in a Butler Creek stock is probably the more practical choice. I mean you can't find .35 Whelen ammo in your local Walmart right? Oh well, what the hell? I'll go with the Whelen anyway.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
New here but I will put in my 2cents. I shoot pretty much everything with my abolt 338wm. Except for varmints when I am actually varmint hunting. IAlthough have been known to take down a coyote or bobcat while deer hunting. Come to think of it I have killed everything from a bobcat to a bear with it using federal 210 partitions. I recently purchased a 338 rum but haven't put optics on it yet. I doubt I will hunt with it but it will be fun at the range.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My Weatherby 30-378 AI of course.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Buy a nice used Remington 700KS in either 30-06, 300Win Mag, 7 Rem Mag, or 270 if you like lighter recoil. Any of those would get the job done real well.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
This will easily handle anything in North America;

[Linked Image]

Pair it up with one of these and you have anything on the planet covered;

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oldfenderguy
This will easily handle anything in North America;

[Linked Image]

Pair it up with one of these and you have anything on the planet covered;

[Linked Image]

I love it when he does this grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sorry, you can't just have one whistle.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'll take my Kimber 300 wsm with 168 TTSX's into MOA consistently.

IC B3

S
S
M700 SS Milspec 5R in .300WM.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd look for a SS Rem 700, chambered in 300 Win Mag. Order up a McM Classic Swirly or a McM Edge, depending on what weight you want the rifle.

Get it professionally bedded, Talley Lwts, trigger job, and a Leupold VX3 scope.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Ruger M77 Stainless .30-06

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
30-06 with a 180 loaded 2,750 to 2,800... if that's not the everyman's, do-all rifle I don't know what is.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swampman700
A Remington Model 700 in .30-06.

A Ruger in 35 Whelen! grin

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark V ClassicMark in .270 Weatherby.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If yall could only have 1 (ONE) (WON) lightweight centerfire rifle to hunt everything that western canada has to offer what would you pick?

gg godd;
Having lived in western Canada for almost 49 years and having hunted here for about 43 or maybe 44 of them and having grown up in a hunting family, I'd opine the following.

Since I've been teaching the BC Hunter Safety course for about 22 years this subject comes up fairly regularly actually and the first question I ask is, are you a handloader?

If the answer is no, then you should go down to a few local purveyors of ammunition and see what they have in stock. Next travel 100 miles from a major city, stop at the local Canadian Tire and see what they have in stock.

Based upon what you find with that bit of knowledge, you should first pick your cartridge.

While I've only been present when whitetail deer, mule deer, black bear, moose and California sheep have died, I've examined the carcasses and talked to enough folks who've killed elk, grizzly bears, goat and caribou to make a few observations.

If you can't get the job done on all of the listed species - and I don't think I've missed any from the BC part of the world - with a .308, .30-06, .270, 7mm Rem Mag or .300Win Mag, then it's the operator.

Any of the above fit my criteria of being able to be found on the local Canadian Tire shelves, which is why they make the list.

A good case can absolutely be made for adding the .303 British to the list as well, but prices for Lee Enfield's seem to rising lately, making them less desirable for the budget minded hunter.

I've eaten enough .303 killed moose and known enough hunters who killed everything that moved up to and including grizzly with them that I'd have no issues using one.

Anyway, once you choose your cartridge, the next step is to go to as many stores and gun shows as possible and look at, pick up and handle as many different rifles as you can.

Some will no doubt "feel" better to you, which is normal because we are all built differently.

Buy the one that feels the best to you and/or represents the best compromise between feel and budgetary constraints.

If you take that rifle, put a decent optic on it, sight it in well at a range and then take it into the hills and shoot a minimum of 5 boxes (10 is better! ;)) of your Canadian Tire ammo through it, you really should be ready for anything we can chase out here in BC anyway.

Hopefully that was some use to you. Good luck whichever way you decide.

Regards,
Dwayne

PS;
I've left out bison on purpose because I've no personal experience with them other than getting a skull from a buddy who shot a local ranch bison between the eyes with a .222.

If you intend to hunt bison in BC, it is the only animal that has a minimum projectile weight regulation. You must have 175gr for them if memory serves - which always made sense to me - seeing as you can hunt a bull elk or moose with a .17 Remington in the same area.... crazy

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What a dumb A$$ thought! It is NOT going to happen ever NEVER!

However, just to satisfy your post wants, I'll tell you I would take my .416-Rem mag in a model 70 Winchester and the backup would be my .338/06 in a lightweight model 70 also.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Kimber Montana in 7WSM.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (257Bob, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 1234, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,220 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,661
Posts18,493,598
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.