Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Well, it sounds like it's probably a worthwhile purchase. While I'm not an OCD kind of guy, I do like tweaking things to see what they can do and to get performance, so a chronograph is now on my list. Per another thread post on chronogrphs, Midway has the ProChrono Digital on sale for $97 until the end of this month. This seems to be a popular model, and I'll check into it. Would you guys recommend getting the optional remote ($80) for the ProChrono? Not sure if I'd need this or not.

Also, at the range (Kenmore Gun Ranges) where I shoot, I've never noticed anyone using a chrono before, so I'll have to find out what their policy is. Thanks for everyone's input.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At the range I shoot at, I've very rarely seen chronos being put to use, and still have people ask me "what is that thing?" when I use mine.

It's mostly people banging away at 5 to 10 yard targets with store-bought ammo, with 2/3's of them modeling the latest tactical wear/gear.

I personally would like (and would get) the optional remote, but it's not a necessity.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A chronograph is a great tool for working up loads.You can only guess,but a chronograph tells you where you are at with your loads.I used mine the other day experimenting with Reloader-17.Max load listed @ 68.0grs of Reloader-17 with 165gr bullet.I started @ 65.0grs and got 3160fps,moved up to 66.0grs and got 3230fps,no pressure signs observed,my groups sucked,so I quit.I wonder what would have happened had I chose the book load of 68.0grs.So you see,it is an important tool for reloaders.The ProChrono is a good one and very reasonably priced too.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

I bought a .300 WinMag and scratched that itch. grin

There is no substitute for capacity and burning more powder when it comes to velocity.....something else a chronograph teaches... wink grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by fishdog52
I believe a chronograph to be a worthwhile expense. But only if you want to deal with some reality in your loads.

+1
I use mine to check against published data. Sometimes I find old data that is way too hot (against speeds from other load results in the same rifle).

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The pro-chrono I bought is absolutley worth every dime. You can sight in exactly when you know your velocity and bc. You will pull the trigger with confidence.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you will have to wait for cease fires to play with the buttons on the chronograph, then the remote control is pretty essential. If, where you shoot, you are able to step in front of the line anytime you want in order to check, reset, or adjust the chronograph, then you don't need the remote. The numbers are pretty easy to read from your spot at the bench. I don't use my remote very often because I usually shoot by myself, or down at the end of the line with nobody near. I like my Pro-Chrono.

P.S. Whenever I won't be using it for ten minutes or more I turn the unit OFF. I find that greatly extends the battery life. Throw a couple of extra 9-volt batteries into your range bag. Mine can't be turned off by the remote. The switch is on the unit. Have fun. Once I thought I had a problem when I accidentally switched the chrono to metric mode. (I forgot that was even an option). I called ProChrono and they were very helpful and got me going again.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yes I have a chronograph and I use it once I have an accurate load so I can tell what that load ought to do at distance.

The question of whether you need one depends upon the distances at which you plan to shoot. If you're staying around or below 350 yds you likely don't need one, particularly if you can get a lot of practice at that distance (of course you should practice regularly before you call a given distance your max).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I always answer the question this way:

The reloader who has one box of brass that he refills every year for his sight-in and one weekend of deer hunting does not need a chronograph.

The vast bulk of reloaders who experiment with different powders and bullets ought to have a chronograph. A simple one will do.

The reloader who shoots an obsolete cartridge or a wildcat, or who simply wants to develop an optimum load must have a chronograph. A better one is called for.

The few reloaders who want to develop a NEW wildcat, or who are deeply curious about the intricacies of internal ballistics need not only a high-end chronograph but a pressure system as well.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I use chronographs every time I am working up loads. I also use load data sheets to record velocity, temperature, wind speed, cloudy, sunny, bullet seating depth( comparator body), etc. The load data sheets are great for references.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A chrono is nice to have. However, they don't really tell you anything you can't figure out shooting. Maybe 1% shoot one load enough times to generate statistically meaningful SD/ES data. People say velocity helps with pressure. While that's true, it specific to each powder and the books will give you an idea. Shoot at longer ranges and measure drop and you know more than a chrono can tell you. Use the books, monitor signs for pressure, find accuracy, what else really matters? A chrono doesn't obviate the need for doing that. But they are fun to play with.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sorry, but I find that laughable.

A calculator won't tell you anything you can't figure out with a slide rule either.

Shoot at distance and measure drops to caclulate velocity?

You'd burn more $ in ammo. than you'd spend on a chronograph. If you're shooting multiple rifles/loads that is.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,347 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,213
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.