Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
What I call the "old-style" search for accurate loads was simply to try as many different combinations of bullet and powder as possible. Some handloaders even went so far as to try different brass and primers.

Among other things I have discovered while playing with all sorts of measuring tools is that one of the reasons some bullets shoot better in certain rifles is that they seat straighter--and the cause isn't always due to the bullets having boattails. Often a flat-based bullet will seat straighter than boattails in the same brass, using the same seating die.

Then there are the necks of the cases. If they're not of the same thickness (within .001" or so) all the way around, then bullets won't end up seated as straightly.

The only way to figure out any of this stuff is with a concentricity gauge--and even then, the loads must be corrected or sorted so that concentricity is reasonably consistent. Otherwise the size of the groups may be due to almost anything.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Load straightly, so you may shoot straightly.

That's the ticket. If you're shooting bananas, they don't fly straight no matter how carefully the charges were weighed, how uniform the primer pockets are, et cetera.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 358win
What reloading components affect accuracy the most in rifles?

Thanks

358win

When you start your post out "Reloading Mule Deer" and others, you are saying that no body else but Mule Deer's opinion"s matter's........
And when Mule Deer replies back he does it in the same fashion........I am GOD this is what I say and other's are foolish to think otherwise.

If you are looking for the truth, phrase your question in a different manner and seek the truth from other's that are not paid to tell you what you want to hear.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
When you start your post out "Reloading Mule Deer" and others, you are saying that no body else but Mule Deer's opinion"s matter's........

Wouldn't that be Reloading Mule Deer and NO others?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mathman

Wouldn't that be Reloading Mule Deer and NO others?

NO just means that you are a JB apologist.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You got a little thingy for JB ?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Mule Deer,
You mentioned that for a couple of years you used the Juenke bullet comparator. Have you stopped using it? Have bullets improved to a point that it is no longer necessary?

I'm also wondering if mono-metal bullets are by their nature, well-balanced?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The Juenke machine I had was on loan, and though I could have bought one I eventually decided against it. Several bullet companies started using them to develop bullets and machinery, but bullets improved in general anyway. There are a bunch of well-balanced, accurate bullets out there these days.

Monometal bullets are more easily balanced than lead-core bullets, but they still have to be carefully made. Plus, without lead cores they don't have as much flexbility, so to shoot really well they either have to fil the bores of individual rifles pretty closely, or have features that allow them to do that, such as the grooves on Barnes Triple-Shocks.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The Juenke machine I had was on loan, and though I could have bought one I eventually decided against it. Several bullet companies started using them to develop bullets and machinery, but bullets improved in general anyway. There are a bunch of well-balanced, accurate bullets out there these days.

Monometal bullets are more easily balanced than lead-core bullets, but they still have to be carefully made. Plus, without lead cores they don't have as much flexbility, so to shoot really well they either have to fil the bores of individual rifles pretty closely, or have features that allow them to do that, such as the grooves on Barnes Triple-Shocks.

The old saying goes "If you cant dazzle them with brizzialance then baffle them with John barsnezz"..... WOW too much stupidity here to try and comprehend tonight, come back tomorrow and try REALITY !!!!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockchuck828

The old saying goes "If you cant dazzle them with brizzialance then baffle them with John barsnezz"..... WOW too much stupidity here to try and comprehend tonight, come back tomorrow and try REALITY !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep. You are well endowed with your own brand of stupidity! No need to come back as we all can see clearly just how stupid you really are.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rockhead828 or is it upchuck828,(we'll see how he likes getting his name twisted) just can't seem to recognize the quality of the information we get from JB that we can't get elsewhere.

But hey, this is the internet, which gives everyone the ability(but not the right) to be as wrong or obnoxious as they want to be.

Steve

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Don't know if you consider it a component, but a good barrel is pretty important. A runout gauge will tell you real quik how straight or crooked your ammo is. If you are serious about accuracy a runout indicator is a must.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 358win
What reloading components affect accuracy the most in rifles?

Thanks

358win

And when Mule Deer replies back he does it in the same fashion........I am GOD this is what I say and other's are foolish to think otherwise.

If you are looking for the truth, phrase your question in a different manner and seek the truth from other's that are not paid to tell you what you want to hear.

Unbelievable........ smirk

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

What's the deal with all the anger?

You can give your opinion... but this is �Ask The Gunwriters" after all

Geez

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Mule Deer,
Thank you for the response. I'm sure you already know this, but some things need to be said anyway. All of us, except for a few that were dropped on their heads when they were babies, appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
doubletap,

You're welcome.

As far as the other issue, one of the great features of the Campfire is the option of putting anybody on "ignore."

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
What an amazing thread, again revealing Mule Deer's patience.

I have been reloading for more than 25 years with much effort towards obtaining sufficient accuracy for successful long shots (1,000 yards +)on small targets like Montana prairie dogs.

Many of the elements of rifle, optics, and bullet accuracy I have worked out for myself the hard way. Expensive in both money and time, but finally, well learned.

At any rate, I doubt that I have the reloading knowledge or hard-earned skill from experience in my entire body that John Barsness has in his left little finger.

And I am not the only one grateful that he posts here.

Roger

NRA Life

CRPA Life
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For some, the most positive things they can do is to keep their yap closed. Another positive is people who know by experience and sharing without busting out their ego.

And yes, the ignore switch is a good feature.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JB,

I've been trying to think of the best way to put this so I'm going ask this as a question rather than make a statement. Hopefully this will add something to the conversation instead of just stirring the pot.

Considering the OP's original question "What reloading components affect accuracy the most in rifles?" ......

Would a perfect combination of bullet and powder using "as is" or "average" brass be more accurate than a random or poor combination of bullet and powder in perfect brass? Generally speaking.

I absolutely acknowledge the importance of using "good" brass as a foundation for developing accurate handloads. No disagreements there.

Thoughts?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Would a perfect combination of bullet and powder using "as is" or "average" brass be more accurate than a random or poor combination of bullet and powder in perfect brass? Generally speaking.

I know you didn't ask me, but I do have an answer. grin

Yes, as long as the runout isn't really terrible.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 60 invisible), 2,236 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,819
Posts18,496,482
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.