Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
toydoc Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi Guys, need help with a Savage 29. Was dads, gave to me but didn't have breach bolt. Found a bolt for it, now it sticks at half way when you rack it. Not sure if anything is missing so I thought it would be good to ask some of you for help.

This is the point it stops, won't go forward anymore. The spring pin on the bottom of the bolt stops it from going forward. It hits the lift for the bullet, lift goes up, spring pin won't slide past lift, stops.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

All the parts I have, anything missing?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks for any help!

GB1

T
toydoc Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Also, this is the only parts list I could find. Anyone have something better?
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check the lifter - the small swinging piece (26) top center has to be able to move almost all the way into the rest of the lifter (23). In the pictures it's not clear but it looks like the front part of the lifter is dented in a little - this may not let the smaller piece move correctly. The lifter has to rise far enough that the top front is parallel to the bore. It also may be that the bolt is not right for that lifer, I have never compared all the differences in these yet - the rear of your bolt looks different than the couple I just looked at, which are both a little different. A picture of the front and rear of the bolt would help.

I just tried an early bolt in a late gun and it is not made to work with the type lifter you have - I could not get it to move at all, it's not milled out wide enough for that lifter. Also the late bolt will not work with the earlier lifter, it doesn't have a thin slot that is nessesary for the early one piece lifter. I have not counted them but I know there are maybe 5 or 6 different lifers that were used in 29's.

Last edited by GeneB; 05/08/11. Reason: added info/insite

Gene
T
toydoc Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks GeneB. 26 will fit, but 23 lifter seems to wide and won't slide all the way though? Should 23 slide all the way through the blot (up high) when loading a round? What lifts part 45 so the hammer can be fired?

Thanks for your help Gene!

T
toydoc Offline OP
OP Offline
T

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A little blurry but it looks like an early bolt - either get another bolt or try an early type lifter, no 24 or possibly no 22. The bolt you need will have a wider slot for the lifter that will be all the same width and will not go as high as the thin slot that is in your bolt.

Part no 45 (hammer lock) is lifted by the operating latch in the bolt (the piece that works the carrier) � after that piece moves past the carrier it end up under the tab on the front of the hammer lock, as the bolt close it lifts the hammer lock � this is why these guns will �slam-fire� if closed with the trigger held, the hammer lock acts like a second trigger, this is the only Savage pump that will do this � on the others the hammer will follow the bolt as it closes if the trigger is held.

The design for the 29 is based on expired patents that were owned by other companies � that is why it�s so different from all their earlier designs (and the later 29-A/B internally). There is not any patent information stamped on any 29, Savage held no patents on it. You also will not find patent info on the 29-A and B, different design, but based on different expired patents that they didn�t own�..but then all that is just my opinion and not based on what I have seen said anywhere else...in fact it disagrees with some material I have read.....so it could turn out to be just a bunch of...........but you who collect Savages know how they liked to stamp patent numbers on every thing they held them on, including sights. I think versions of the model 6 22 had as many a 5 patents stamped on the gun plus if it had the peep sight set you could have a patent on the front, the folding rear as well as the peep sight for a total of 8!

Here is a better parts list- I am fairly sure that the "discontinued 1933" for the 29 is a misprint and S/B 1938
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by GeneB; 05/08/11. Reason: added more ramblings and a picture
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
It looks like the pin (rear) that holds the firing pin in is protruding too far to the right. It needs to be centered with the bolt, equal length left and right. Also, your carrier dog looks like it is too long. This is the part that slides over the bottom part of your lifter, pushing it up. You may want to bevel it to allow it to slide over the lifter.

Pact.

T
toydoc Offline OP
OP Offline
T
GeneB, thanks for the pics! BIG help. Can you post more pictures of what I'm looking for? My gun would be two pics on left.
I have bolt from right pics, on gun and lifter on left pictures. That does not work as you said.

So I need a late bolt for a 29, also looks like the fire pin changes from early and late bolt? Any other parts in the bolt that won't change over from both early and late? Anyone have parts for sale?

pact, I moved the pin over to hold it for pics. I thought about doing a bevel on the lifter like you said. But then it also gets way to tight on the top of the lifer as it goes into the bolt. Like geneB said, lifters to wide for the bolt. So I didn't do anything because both ends didn't work, must have something wrong.

Thanks for your help guys!

U
U
Sorry to hijack the old thread, but I see some experts here. I tried searching the threads but didn't find anything as closely related. I just received my grandfather's Savage 29 .22 pump action. It's actually the Ranger version sold through Sears. It's definitely not an A or B because it has the previous style firing pin. The firing pin is cracked. I purchased a replacement from Numrichs but for the life of me cant' figure out how to get the front pins out to remove old firing pin and install new one. Anyone here that can help walk me through the disassembly of the bolt to replace the firing pin?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It sounds like you have the rear pin out. I have not taken one of these apart for a long time but if I remember correctly to change the firing pin you only have to take one of the extractors out so you can remove the spring that goes between the two - I do not think it maters which side. To remove an extractor you have to pull the pin from the top, there is an access hole on each side of the bolt that should have the end of the pin showing. Take a screwdriver or something and push the pin upward as far as you can in the access hole and then there should be enough sticking out the top to grab with a pliers - remember that there is a spring pushing on the extractor so secure it as you pull the pin.

I think I still have a set of pictures showing how to completely disassemble one of these bolts somewhere, if you still have problems I could email them to you. There are two differet firing pins for the 29 - they differ in how thick the lower front is.

Last edited by GeneB; 08/28/12.

Gene
IC B3

U
U
Thanks Gene! I'll take a look tonight.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

390 members (21, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 2500HD, 33 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,508
Posts18,490,691
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.