Campfire Member
R
257 Bob or 250 Savage.I still look on the 243/244 as a woodchuck rifle

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Toad-like creature! wink smile

Funny thing is I was about to wack a nice 6 pt and I caught his movement out of the corner of my eye(s) lurking just beyond.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Arns9
I don't think penetration is the issue. I'm confident a 223 Partition or X will penetrate plenty on a whitetail. It's the smaller wound channel that makes me shy away. For example, if a 223 bullet expands 2x it's original diameter it'll be less than 45 cal. A 244 bullet will go less than 49 caliber. If a 277 expands 2x, it goes to over 55 cal.

What does the larger wound channel actually do, other than maybe make the deer lose blood pressure quicker?

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
What does the larger wound channel actually do, other than maybe make the deer lose blood pressure quicker?

I would imagine that a larger wound channel could cause more damage to issue, muscle, organs and nerves than a smaller wound channel.

Look at it this way;

Although neither would be pleasant, would you rather have someone run a hypodermic needle into your stomach or have them do the same with a larger diameter ice pick?

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mind you I have no "proof", but a theory that I feel has been supported by years of experience shooting game.

From experience with trauma wounds in hospitals, I observed that one of the most dangerous (and if not treated almost always fatal) wounds was a "sucking chest wound" where air is introduced into the chest cavity. The reason is that without a seal in the chest, the lungs collapse as the diaphram can't pull air through the throat.....instead it pulls through the open wound and provides no oxygen to the body. Death soon follows.

A bigger wound (hole) in an animal's chest does not seal as well as a smaller wound and lets air in and blood out. A smaller wound can (and often does) close up due to shifting skin or fat. This stops the inflow of air and outflow of blood.

The lack of blood flow is less important as internal bleeding kills just as well as blood on the outside, but it does limit the blood trail you may need to find the animal.

The air flow into the chest cavity however is much more critical for a quick death. As long as oxygen reaches the brain an animal can (and will) keep going. Eventually (after enough blood loss) the animal will die.....but this may take a while. If the lungs collapse and air flow stops....death is almost immediate.

Think about the times when an animal died VERY quickly from a lung shot and you will find that almost every time a massive, open wound to the chest was involved. This CAN happen with a small bore bullet that expands, but not EVERY time. A bigger bore bullet will better guarantee the open, in-and-out wound I like.

As I said....just a theory of mine, but one that I've observed and thought about for many years.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The furthest deer I've ever taken was a large Ohio whitetail doe at 360 yards with a 22-250. The bullet passed through both lungs producing bilateral pneumothoraces and the deer went nowhere. The 22-250 isn't a marginal cartridge for deer; it's more than adequate.

The smallest cartridge I've ever used on deer was a 204 Ruger at a bit over 250 yards. That deer required more than one shot but didn't go more than about 15 feet after being hit. This was also a large Ohio doe unlike the dog size deer from further south that don't have the benefit of a diet of corn and soybeans.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I didn't think you were allowed to use a rifle on deer in Ohio...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Only at night. smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
bada bing

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by reddnek
257 Bob or 250 Savage.I still look on the 243/244 as a woodchuck rifle

Those 243's and 6mm's aren't woodchuck cartridges with 80gr TTSX's out front..the 90gr Partition ain't no slouch either!! wink

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Only at night. smile
So which is the better night hunting cartridge pat? Lol

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TexasRick

Your observations regarding large calibre wounds and the intra thoracic wall/ pleuritic pressure are correct. A hemothorax is as deadly, but much slower. I use large calibre when bush hunting for those very reasons.

Just to argue for the other team, a high speed projectile sets up a larger shoch wave that causes massive tissue damage and collapse of or filling with blood of the alviolar spaces which has the same effect of no oxygen/CO2 exchange. When hunting open spaces I tend to use smaller ie. 30+ cal for that effect.

Think handgun vs rifle GSW in the ER. As a medic my experience is at the scene but we battle the same foes. Let me say thank you for being there for our patients at the end of the ride. We appreciate you all!

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Only at night. smile

Black powder, the smoke hides your escape. smile

Lester Roloff
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Only at night. smile

The one you don't mind throwing out of a truck window at 80mph. smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Remington 710?

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by medicman
28lx
I don't doubt that combo would take a deer at 300, but you must have trajectory tables taped to the stock. I am not being flippant as I know the 45/70 is good at 450 yds. What does your 300 start at for speed? My 45/70 500 gr is about 1250ft/sec.

Randy

Medicman,

Where I plan on using the 44 at shots are under 50 yards. I would use my 25-06 or 7/08 if hunting an area with farther shots.I am just starting to play with the cast bullets getting 1525fps with 20 grains of H-110.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is powerful medicine. Do some range work with it at distance, you will be surprised how heavy cast hangs in there. I also shoot small and fast but am not undergunned if the slow heavy is in my hands. Your load will be devestating on whitetail. Expect them to run a short distance. Unless a CNS hit is made they usually run 25/50 yds but the meat is well bled for eating.

Have fun with it.

Randy

Lester Roloff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by medicman
That is powerful medicine. Do some range work with it at distance, you will be surprised how heavy cast hangs in there. I also shoot small and fast but am not undergunned if the slow heavy is in my hands. Your load will be devestating on whitetail. Expect them to run a short distance. Unless a CNS hit is made they usually run 25/50 yds but the meat is well bled for eating.

Have fun with it.

Randy

Randy,

Thanks for the info. I am planning on shots through the shoulders with the 44. I wouldnt think penetration would be a problem.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by MILES58
I have a .223 Savage with a long barrel that shoots 70 grain TSXs into dime size groups and I can push them as fast as 3300. I'd use it. That guns is basically a .243, so the answer really ought to be a 243 with TSXs for a worst case situation.

I will whack one or two out at 200-250 this year with a 53 grain TSX out of a .223 and see how I feel about that.

What twist, may I ask? I can't get my 9 twist to stabilize the 70 TSX. Poor accuracy and oblong bullet holes at 100 yds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only at night. smile

The one you don't mind throwing out of a truck window at 80mph. smile

Again, kindred spirits....

Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by rockchucker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
A rifle oughtta be short enough to transition from beteween the front seats to out the truck window without getting all tangled up on the blinker arm or shifter.

DING DING DING we have a winner smile

Kindred spirits.... cool

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugeman, 2500HD, 1936M71, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,686
Posts18,494,019
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.