Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have not had the pleasure but I am convinced he is a keeper.

Then there is the question about just how dangerous an unconfined handgun round is if it were to cook off. I am thinking it would do little harm if reasonable precautions are followed. Case peals back and bullet drops to the floor. Might cause an increase in heart rate and a brown stain on the stool but other than that not a whole lot. In smokeless powder the burn rates are somewhat moderate in a unconfined burn. Eye protection and good leather gloves would could be all the protection you need.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you get board sometime around a campfire put a loaded cartridge in a cast iron frying pan over the fire. note how fat the bullet travels and what happens to the case.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
To all you cautious ones:

Tell me and tell all has anyone (other than Fishhead) had a primer tick off when it was not expected to?

In my experience of reloading literally thousands of rounds since the '70's it has never happened. I can get you the exact number because I have kept meticulous records.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
You can't read.....

While were at it, anyone had a rifle go off when the saftey is flicked off(I haven't, but it has happened)?

Anyone had a primer NOT go off?

Pretty humorous putting the greatest faith in the weakest link of reloading.

Of course we're dealing with a guy who didn't prime 31 of 'em, but keeps "meticulous" records....

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

I do keep meticulous records of my reloading and would be glad to fax you copies of them.

I did have 31 .38 specials that went through the Dillon without primers. I also have some .45 and .44 that also traveled that route. When I have a sufficiency I shall insert primers into the loaded cases.

Do you reload? Do you use a Dillon? Have you ever run a round through that came out without a primer? How many primers have gone off while you were reloading?

I take you to be a tyro in the reloading game.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
Originally Posted by TBaker5390

This is CA Spanko...do we really care what happens???...should be good FAQ doc material...whatever happens...just sayin...

I've broke bread with the man. He's cool in my book, for whatever that's worth.

Brian.

If I broke bread with many of the "idiots" on THIS board...well they would no longer be "idiots"...just wrong... wink

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Invest'em on a hedge aginst the Japanese Yen.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
using a lee loader I have the dubious distinction of setting off a few due to having never used that type of tool, brother finally came over to see what the heck I was doing, once he showed me the error of my ways it got better and my hearing and feeling in my hands started to come back.
Went back to RCBS and using there tools along with a hand primer and sometimes on the press.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas
To all you cautious ones:

Tell me and tell all has anyone (other than Fishhead) had a primer tick off when it was not expected to?

In my experience of reloading literally thousands of rounds since the '70's it has never happened. I can get you the exact number because I have kept meticulous records.

I've had sex with a lot of strange women over the years, yet have never contracted a veneral disease. That doesn't mean I can jump on top of a crack whore tomorrow and expect to walk away without something that requires getting shots and having to apply medicated cream to Mr. Used 2B Happy.

Just because something hasn't happened to you before, doesn't mean it will never happen to you.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

"While were at it, anyone had a rifle go off when the saftey is flicked off(I haven't, but it has happened)?"

Years ago I had an aftermarket trigger installed by a local gunshop in a Ruger 77 (tang safety). I took it to the range, chambered a round, and put the safety on. I lined up and pulled the trigger with the safety on and the gun did not fire. I then thumbed the safety off, and the gun FIRED!!

I can't really describe how that felt...but let me tell you, it was a real wake-up call for gun safety and the number 1 rule of ALWAYS keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Had I been even a little careless, I could have easily sent that round over the berm to who knows where?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I took my father's Winchester 75 Sporter out to the river bar one day to do a little plinking. I have used this gun on a semi-regular basis for my entire life. It had never once failed in any possible way.

Imagine my suprise when I closed the bolt and the gun went off. The first thing I thought was "You idiot, you had your finger on the trigger when you closed the bolt!" So I ejected the empty and loaded another round.......and that went off to. I unloaded the gun and drove 10 minutes to our local gunsmith. Turns out that through 60 or 70 years of regular use, the sear finally gave up the ghost without any warning whatsoever. Thank goodness I had it pointed at the target and not twards town (or my car) when I closed the bolt.

Chit happens sometimes, no matter how careful you are.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

I do keep meticulous records of my reloading and would be glad to fax you copies of them.

I did have 31 .38 specials that went through the Dillon without primers. I also have some .45 and .44 that also traveled that route. When I have a sufficiency I shall insert primers into the loaded cases.

Do you reload? Do you use a Dillon? Have you ever run a round through that came out without a primer? How many primers have gone off while you were reloading?

I take you to be a tyro in the reloading game.

Tyro, huh?

I know enough about Dillons to know they make an idiot alarm for empty primers, should your "meticulous" azz need one.

In the second page, I was three feet away from a friend as a powder charged shotshell/wad/primer went off when he [bleep] around putting a primer in. I say [bleep] around because he sure as hell wasn't following any reloading protocol. I took a pliers and pulled peices out of his hand, Also lucky the wad didn't hit him, as it was hauling azz.

I've never had a 38, 357, 44 45 or any other handgun round show up unprimed during any reloading session; your reliance on machines, primers, safety and a choir of more idiocy cheering your mistakes on shows what a tool you really are.

Last edited by HawkI; 05/11/11.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

Lotta good info on this string. I've learned never to have sex with a crack whore, never seat a primer with a hammer, and always point the muzzle in a safe direction.

Don't know why it took me so long to uncover these cosmic truths.

www.paracay.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to prime cases for my Sharps by putting the case in a hole through a block of wood and then using a spirit gum mallet to seat the primer. Never a problem. A fire on an artillery firebase cooked off a couple thousand 105mm rounds. The projectiles stayed put, the CASES went on trips all over the place. Small arms ammo did the same. If the case hit ya on the coconut, it would raise a lump, but not much else unless it was a case for a 105. THAT would tend to hurt.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Lotta good info on this string. I've learned never to have sex with a crack whore, never seat a primer with a hammer, and always point the muzzle in a safe direction.

One other truth is you wanted to be in the spot light, you got it.

Reloading for 30 years and you just now have some missed primers and need to ask how to fix the problem.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Wtxj

One other truth is you wanted to be in the spot light, you got it.

Reloading for 30 years and you just now have some missed primers and need to ask how to fix the problem.

That is true. I always thought it was dangerous to seat primers in loaded cases, so I wasted time pulling bullets. Thanks to some here and to my friend Boollitt I now know it is safe.

Maybe there should be a law against seating primers in loaded cases? Also be sure to wash your hands before eating, floss daily, cook your hambuger to crisp, always wear you seatbelt and DON'T PLAY WITH GUNS.

Real men seat primers nekkid.

www.paracay.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread NEVER was about seating primers in already loaded cases, it's about spanky getting his much needed attention.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 700LH
This thread NEVER was about seating primers in already loaded cases, it's about spanky getting his much needed attention.

...and to keep sycophants like you basking in my reflected brilliance.

www.paracay.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
brilliant as a sand blasted rock.
I didn't read any of this till now, but it's hard to miss always on top like your humdolt meeting you posted on several times a day for weeks in a pathetic attempt to get attn.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 700LH
brilliant as a sand blasted rock.
I didn't read any of this till now, but it's hard to miss always on top like your humdolt meeting you posted on several times a day for weeks in a pathetic attempt to get attn.

Next will be "I want to learn to sail", anyone help with that?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 19rabbit52, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 11,952 guests, and 1,563 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,028
Posts18,540,564
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.