-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was wondering if the F&G had stocked Winchester Lake this spring, and it looks like they have. If a guy is going to keep any fish from the lake, this is the time as they are freshly planted and the algae hasn't gotten nasty in that lake yet.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Lonny

Yeah..The only time I fish Winchester is in the spring when Stealhead is over and the Salmon haven't got here yet or general fishing season isn't open yet.Brookies are by far my favorite fish out of super cold creeks..Smoked up there better than a snickers bar.Even during hunting season I usually hunt early and late and fish in between cooking them right over the fire on a stick like hotdogs or marshmellows.

Jayco

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now did "Logcutter" get Banned or what?

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No. Why would he be banned?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw an image of something that said "BANNED" below in several of his posts last time I logged on to 24-Hour.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Logcutter the .300 Win mag is certainly a great big game caliber no doubt about that fact. I carried one in a Belgium Browning for over 20 years and never had any complaints.

However, the .338 Win mag is the ruler of the roost when it comes to hunting bull elk in the high country. The .338 caliber alone is a step above any .270 Winchester and I have 3 of those mind you........One a Klinegunther! I have yet to hit an elk with a .338 bullet that didn't hump up when struck by said bullet, even out of the .338/06 mind you.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

R
R
I'm gunna answer the original question, and noone better argue with me....THE ANSWER IS .....wait for it........4. Thats the correct number of dead elk it takes to prove if a cartridge is worthy or not. I have witnessed this in New Zealand, and it's a fact.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Richardb9
I'm gunna answer the original question, and noone better argue with me....THE ANSWER IS .....wait for it........4. Thats the correct number of dead elk it takes to prove if a cartridge is worthy or not. I have witnessed this in New Zealand, and it's a fact.

That would be interesting as the last I heard, there was a herd of 7 elk bulls that had escaped from a private herd on the North Island 15 or so, years ago. One of those animals was killed again supposedly, buy a female huntress from the US who claimed it as content for a major SCI award.

The wild elk (wapiti as they are called there) on the South Island are considered hybridized with the reds to the point that no wild free ranging pure Waps are believed to exist. All the Waps taken in NZ are behind wire and bread with turbo charged cornflakes as are the huge Trophy Reds that are claimed to be normal reds.

Sad but true. NZ can still give you a natural representative Red in the wild but the Wap has gone the way of the Moose that were also imported there.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by logcutter
Old say'n... The more I do, the less I 'know'.

That's a fact and I guess the point I was getting at with this post is........Nobody knows it all including John Barsness........He has an opinion as we all do and he also drinks his hooch and calls people like Coyote Hunter a liar,straight out, and he is by far not a liar in any way shape or form.One of the straightest shooters I have ever known.

He read this post and put me on ignore rather than answer why he wrote what he wrote about the 338 Win Mag and the measly Campfire members that have not killed atleast a dozen Elk and better yet several dozen, with the 338 Win Mag yet his kills on Elk with it, total four.

Every single person posting on the net and this forum has to be accountable for what they post,drunk or sober!!!!!Nobody ever questions him except me....

Just an opinion.........

Jayco

I went and found the thread in question and post the quote was taken from. Here is a little more.

I should also point out, however, that I've shot more elk with .30 calibers than any other bore size, the cartridges ranging from the .30-06 up to the .300 Weatherby, including my three biggest bulls. None have gone more than 25 yards, and my biggest bull went only 20 feet after being shot with a 180-grain bullet at 250 yards--from a .30-06. So I'm also a natural skeptic when people start proclaiming something "the best" on any kind of game, partly from having seen so much game shot with various cartridges and bullets.

With the .338 and elk part of my skepticism comes from a survey on the Campfire several years ago--after yet another post proclaiming the greatness of the .338. Turned out he had shot one elk with the .338.

So I asked everybody else to post their experience with the .338. It turned out that very few had taken more than a dozen animals with the cartridge, and the average was between 4 and 5. In my experience, a dozen animals is a start on learning what a cartridge will do, but several dozen is a much better number. Four or five doesn't tell us much at all.

In the same post earlier.

I've also used the .338 on other large North American game considerably, including musk ox and Alaskan moose, and in Africa even more, where I also observed other people using it a lot. My experience is that African game of about the same size as elk (especially gemsbok, blue wildebeest and zebra) is a very similar bullet "test." The data gathered was considerable, encompassing dozens of animals and a wide variety of bullets from 200 to 275 grains, though probably the most-used bullet weight was 225 grains.

I believe you are reading elk where he say's animal, I imagine he meant what he wrote.

The other two issues weren't in that thread or the OP, has nothing to do with the quote.

I still read that it's just where it should be considered as a cartridge, a good one. Just not something on a pedestal overshadowing other good ones.

Kent

KRP, Thanks for the truth.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ColdBore
Originally Posted by logcutter
I could go on and on and mention Ray Atkinson and a host of others with a ton more experience...

You lost a lot of credibility right there... laugh

logcutter, are you still butt hurt that Ray is gone?

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had a guy from Pennsylvania draw a bull elk permit for the district I had a ranch leased in about 20 years ago. He was a return hunter that had been out for mule deer and antelope several times. He always brought out a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in .270 with a 3X9 Leupold and he was damn good with it, killing everything cleanly with one shot out to about 300 yards.He had called a few times before he arrived for the elk hunt to quiz me down on what to bring for a rifle for these "iron clad" Montana elk. I assured him with the way he shot his old .270, that he would be fine with that.When he showed up that fall and we went to the range to check zero's, he opened the case and there were two rifles in it....one was the pre 64 .270 and the other was a Remington 700 in .338 Win Mag. I jokingly asked him what that was for...he said his hunting buds back home told him he needed it to kill an elk out here. I said , "Lets shoot". I set up the bench and asked him to shoot the .270 first. First shot was 2" at 100. I told him to shoot a five shot group. When he finished he had a nice five shot sub 1" group. Bragging him up, I said, "Damn, you havent forgot how to shoot that rifle!" Before he shot the .338, I said,"Tom, if you shoot that magnum better than you just shot your .270, I want you to use it, otherwise its gonna be the .270".......The very next day he killed a really pretty 6X5 bull with one well placed shot from his old reliable .270 Winchester.

And any 25 caliber rifle would have worked too.

Make it a public land hunt with a zillion hunters and hopped up elk on Adrenaline running around and you have a total game changer.

Give me a 30 or 33 mag every time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Public land B&C bull I killed with hunters around me on every ridge, with one shot at 385 yards with a .257 Weatherby.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Luv that bull Pat and when I see that pic I am very glad to of been spared having to sort him out of that hole..

Dober

(out the door in a few, it's bruin ruin time!)

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't doubt you Pat but guys like me need the extra.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd be willing to bet you could have killed that bull just as dead as I did with the same rifle had you been there.

Honestly, I like .30 caliber stuff for most of the elk hunting I do...probably been more elk killed with various .30 caliber rifles over the years than all of the others combined....they just flat work.

[Linked Image]
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Hey wait you can't shoot a quarterbore... no scenars made for that one smile

Seriously, AWESOME bull. What was the projectile?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by efw
Hey wait you can't shoot a quarterbore... no scenars made for that one smile

Seriously, AWESOME bull. What was the projectile?

Thanks!

I used a 120gr Nosler Partition. I recovered it under the hide on the off side. The bullet entered the ribcage on the left side, angled into the right front shoulder, breaking it. He ran about 50 yards before dying in the bottom of a tight coulee bottom.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Here it is...

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
NICE! Textbook performance.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Here it is...

Awesome bull! Looks like the Weatherby did the trick! Scotty

Semper Fi
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,898 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,427
Posts18,528,446
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.