Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I have a used computer. Someone else wants it. I do not want my info stored therin to become public. What can I do to erase it entirely? An no, I do not trust the computer stores not to do a little browsing before wiping it clean.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Darrins Boot and Nuke or pull the HD drive out and physicaly destroy it, inform the new owner they will need to buy a new drive.

MtnHtr

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm no expert but and others may have much better advice than me...

I've heard good things about the free software Hard Disk Scrubber - just make sure to check "heavy scrub" as an option.

First, you'd have to delete all the files you don't want recovered.
Scrubber would then see that as free space and "wipe" it

you can download it here

http://www.summitcn.com/download2.htm#scrub

If you want to wipe the entire drive, then you'd most likely need to boot from a CD or disk that would provide you access to the entire hard drive. A free program that does this is

LSoft Technologies' Active@ KillDisk

I'm not sure how easy it would be to use.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I'm mostly concerned about financial data, id theft etc.. Have you guys actually used these products? Can you give a first hand recommendation?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eclectic
I'm mostly concerned about financial data, id theft etc.. Have you guys actually used these products? Can you give a first hand recommendation?
The only sure way is to physically destroy your hard drive. DBN and others rely on "overwrite" technology, IIRC. They highly tout it as being the same method the NSA and other like entities use. I think there is still some chance of recovery.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Not really. If you do the overwrite several times at random then the hacker cannot simply flip the orientation of the bits on the HD to retrieve info.

I use DBAN here at work to scrub all patient demographic info from HD's being returned to the warehouse. If you are too paranoid to trust DBAN ( satisfies DoD requirements ) you don't want a computer to begin with.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Okay, one last question. It was the ex's computer. The only reason I quit using it is that her name pops up as owner and in a couple of apps. Will DBAN make that go away?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hard drives are pretty cheap these days. Why not simply buy a new drive and swap out the old one? You (or the new owner) will have to reinstall the OS but that shouldn't be a big deal either. Good luck.

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm in the business and I agree with the replacement strategy. Besides you should be able to use the older drive in your new computer. If it doesn't fit there are external adapters.

There's usually nothing in the bios/root that should be of any privacy risks.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,292
Posts18,525,764
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.