Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I never carry a pistol when i'm hunting with a rifle, no reason for it. When i'm back packing or fishing is when I carry one and it's only there as a very last resort, like when the bear is about to take a bite of me.

Can't say how i'd react with my pistol to a bear that up close and personal but i'd like to think that I would remain calm enough to put one in his vitals before he bit me.

+1

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CO
I do not carry more often than I do... When I do it is usually a revolver. I do not believe there are very many real attacks from unprovoked (wounded is about the only provokation that I buy) bears. They certainly happen, but bluffs are common.

React properly when you see a bear and usually you will save yourself from most grief. When bears and people get together you are hoping you do not run into a bear someone else has trained to jerk you around. The morons running the Russian River for example think doing stuff like having people haul away their fish carcasses is going to fix things... Even though the river is full of fish that will soon be creating more food than the bears could ask for in a very convenient form.

Additionally, I doubt bear spray is even remotely effective in a real charge. The numbers of "lives saved" with the stuff I believe to be grossly inflated, especially when you can find claims of bears turned at distances well beyond 40 yards. Personal experience says the stuff is a joke.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sitka thanks for sharing your insights and experience. Unfortunately in Colorado, our grizzlies are gone. In many ways I miss Montana, but Colorado's not a bad place to be by far and I have to put my sons through college (though one's in the Rangers and will hopefully get to use the GI bill). I'll be up in Togiak with John Pete hunting brown bears this fall (my first ever guided hunt) looking forward to seeing Alaska again, it's been more than 30 years ... Once again, thanks.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good luck in Togiak!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by NYH1
It was about Kodiak Brown Bears attaching two hunters on the islands. The two guys were attached by two bears back in 1999/2000 IIRC. One was attached by a 700 plus lbs. male bear and the other was attached by a 250 to 300 lbs. female bear. The guy that was attached by the 700 lbs. male bear died a short time after the attach. The guy that was attached by the smaller female bear was hurt pretty bad but lived.

A guy with the Alaska Fish and Game (not sure what the real name is) and a bear expert from Florida State University went to the scene of the attach by the smaller female bear.

Do you not know how to spell attacked?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by NYH1
Is a shotgun the best choice for protection against big Grizzle,

I didn't know Grizzlies had gray hair.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Now tell me you did'nt unnustand whet he sead?

Quite bein a turkie and so upitte...

beerhuntr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my Bear Charge at 15 feet, I don't recall the sight picture.When the barrel crossed the neck I shot.

I also don't recall using the sights went I let off a few rounds during a armed Robbery.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You shouldn't be committing armed robbery!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ain't that the truth! wink

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One fellow with a .380 and one with a 9mm got enlightened on the hazard of their occupation.

APD officer said I two good groups.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldfenderguy
For shorter range bear protection using a shotgun it would be hard to beat a 9-shot Mossberg 590A1 with XS Ghost Sights loaded with hardened Brenneke Short Magnum 1 1/4 ounce slugs.

The special Special Forces or Green Lightning hardened slugs are made for maximum penetration and from what I recall show penetration of 35 inches in ballastic gelatin. Published figures show a muzzle velocity of 1,420 FPS with 2,350 FT/LB of energy. Apparently the Special Forces and Green Lightning slugs are identical except for the outer coating color (one red while the other is green). One is just marketed towards hunters while the other is marketed towards law enforcement.

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/special_forces_short_magnum.html

Addendum: This past weekend, an acquaintance went bear hunting and killed a rather ordinary bear, meaning one in the 7 foot range. Knowing that he was planning to hunt bears, I had meant to ask what his weapon was, or if he needed anything to supplement his ammo selection. As it turned out, he used a 12 gauge shotgun and Brenneke slugs. At 30 yards, two shots put the animal down; the second shot "smoked" a hole through the far side, as he related things. He found the first slug against the hide on the back side. It had broken no significant bone and was not deformed. Again, a shotgun, though it can recoil substantially and starts out with a big hole, is not too much gun by any stretch and is not, IMO, an ideal choice as a bear protection weapon.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It had broken no significant bone and was not deformed.

By that, do you mean the slug did not expand the way a bullet normally does?

Or do you mean that it's hard enough that there was no "detrimental" deformation?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was hard enough not to deform in soft tissues, yet it did not exit in a soft tissue path.

Maybe I expect too much, but I want a "solid" to exit when shooting bears. Of the two bears I am aware of which have been shot with Brenneke slugs in less than two years, this makes 2/2 bears that have stopped these slugs. And I don't consider this "classic" premium shotgun slug to be a bad slug at all. I'm just not convinced that a 12 gauge has a leg up on an easier-to-manage rifle such as a 308 with good bullets. I've put easily over a dozen rifle bullets into bears. One may have stayed in one of them. This friend's bear makes 2 of 3 for this slug. I realize the sample size is small, but it's still a bit troubling if one plans for it as a dedicated bear defense gun.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The bear died and the slug left a 3/4" hole from one side to the hide on the other side. Would it have performed better by exiting? smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Well, i guess (after this) all i need for that cape buff is the '06 and partitions.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I had a 7600 in 35whelen and loved it. barrel was cut short, decent sights and glass. damn thing worked great, I just wouldnt ever carry one. Problem is I screwed the pooch with it. I admit I screwed up. I punched a blackie with it and when I went to extract and chamber a new round, I short stroked it and jammed the hell out of it.

Nothing wrong with the rifle but I figured if I did it once, I can do again. I miss that rifle. Human error is a b!tch.
i have seen the races in the action housing come out of remington autos after much less than too many rounds have been fired through them-in 06 cal to boot.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
You might try the posture of a student for awhile. I think that might work better for you. You can "know" some of these guys even without meeting them if you take the time. You may not like everyone, but many are worthy of some respect even if we're not all likable. Try it out. It's the internet, but we can still act like human beings.
Klik- when i fished the russian and k. rivers alone i had locals loaning me their pepper spray. now i hear 18 bears were killed in defense in 08. would you guys carry pepper or also firearms and if so a pistol or rifle. was i a nut to fish alone with only pepper.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
eyeball, In my opinion you were not nuts. if the truth were known, more DLP bears are killed simply because the shooter either wanted an excuse to kill a bear, was unfamiliar with bear behavior or had read Alaska Bear Tales too many times. There are hundreds and hundreds of hikers and campers who venture to our national parks here in Alaska with nothing stronger than bear spray.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 54 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,316
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.