-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coyote Hunter, I don't plan on going back to school to take a class in Physics or any other subject but I know for a fact what my rifles can do in various calibers with the proper bullets I choose to use in them.

However, in my eyes the bullet does the killing and I'll keep it simple as that because I don't wish to get into some long drawn out battle of what is or what isn't on this forum. Some people around here act as tuff as nails anyway and I sure don't want to get on their bad side. Hell they might want to look me up or knock on my door for satisfaction over something that doesn't amount to squat and I sure don't what that to happen. High velocity with small bullet or Low velocity with a big bullet, it is all the same to me in the end...cause Dead is just that DEAD!!!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tonk

Some people around here act as tuff as nails anyway and I sure don't want to get on their bad side. Hell they might want to look me up or knock on my door for satisfaction over something that doesn't amount to squat and I sure don't what that to happen. �

Tonk �

I�ve seen posts where such is threatened. People that make them are dumber than bricks. If you make it to Denver I�ll buy the beer.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 04/15/11.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tonk

Some people around here act as tuff as nails anyway and I sure don't want to get on their bad side. Hell they might want to look me up or knock on my door for satisfaction over something that doesn't amount to squat and I sure don't what that to happen. �

Tonk �

I�ve seen posts where such is threatened. People that make them are dumber than bricks. If you make it to Denver I�ll buy the beer.

Edited to add:

Dang, Looks like I just erased a post to which I was trying to add the above line. Hate it when that happens...

The gist was this:
1. A bullet is just an instrument used to deliver energy (or momentum, if you prefer). It is what that transferred energy does that kills. (Basically, accelerating flesh and bone past the limits of elasticity.)
2. There is a reason a .50 ball fired from a slingshot doesn't kill as well as the same ball fired from a muzzleloader.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
KC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by DayPacker
After looking at a lot of different forums I believe the 338 win mag with 225 nosler partion is the best Elk round. True or false?

DayPacker:

Any time that you state that something is "the best" on the Internet, you are begging for a debate.

I bet that you are going to get a lot more false responses to your inquiry than true responses.

That's not the combination that I use, so of course my response is false.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Calvin
Anybody ever blast a big bodied animal with a 225 Accubond out of a 338 Rum, at under 200 yards? Seems like it's got a ton of energy. I'm don't think I should be concerned about zooking the 'bond?

BTW, I'm a 1%'r too.

Worked pretty good at 220 yds. I recovered the bullet on the hide, after it went trough lungs and the offside shoulder, it it looked great.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To answer that original question, I will have to say NO to the .338-RUM but surely have with my .338-Win mag and it got the job done with flying colors to boot.

Now ifin it didn't mind you, I just reach for a bigger caliber next time up with a larger bullet also. I can proudly say, I have only lost one big game animal in my entire hunting time spent in the woods or high country.

I also never shot an animal just soo's I didn't get skunked! I have passed on many an animal because I figured it was not mature enough for my wall. In doing so, I have always relished the hunt itself weather or not an animal was taken. The glory of that hunt was always enough and the memories that took place.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The interesting thing is that the 338 RUM with the 225 Accubond absolutely smokes the giant killer 375 H&H and 300gr bullets at 100yds in energy.

4046 for the 338 Rum, and 3230 for the H&H, according to federal ammo's website.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IMHO, which is only based on seeing a few elk killed with it and putting about 600-700 of the damn things downrange out to 625 yards, the 225-gn Accubond is one of those bullets that stands out as arguably "best"... there's a lot of good things coming together in that bullet.

The elk killed by it in our camp went down DRT, at ranges in the 250-300 yd range. I don't have any personal experience with what it does at very close range- though Calvin's RUM experience at ~200 yds on a brown bear gets close to simulating a 338WM at close range...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
IMHO, which is only based on seeing a few elk killed with it and putting about 600-700 of the damn things downrange out to 625 yards, the 225-gn Accubond is one of those bullets that stands out as arguably "best"... there's a lot of good things coming together in that bullet.

The elk killed by it in our camp went down DRT, at ranges in the 250-300 yd range. I don't have any personal experience with what it does at very close range- though Calvin's RUM experience at ~200 yds on a brown bear gets close to simulating a 338WM at close range...

Very well said Jeff. One thing about the 338 is it works wonderfully on elk with just about any bullet. I like the heavy 250 gr. sierra gameking because I know it produces DRT's and others like the lighter bullets because they think they "kill faster" for some reason whistle. The 225 is right in the middle and should be golden in the 338. I'd use it with no qualms whatsoever.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Calvin it may very well do as your posts states but I can tell you it is no match for that .416-Rem mag with a 350 grn bullet.
I am beginning to love that rifle caliber more and more let me say that to all who wonder or don't know it's benefits.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With my Ruger .338 Win. Mag., I have killed elk with the 225 grains Nosler Partition, the 210 grains Nosler Partition, and the 225 grains Hornady Interlock.

I could not tell the difference in any of the three. Accuracy is the most important thing, in my opinion, with these three bullets.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,837
Posts18,478,100
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.