Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Bricktop
The thread author lists his location as PA and so do you, hence my referencing it.

We don't have a high fence around our border. wink

(Besides, I lived in TN for about 12 years).

TN uses a state system, not sure if they run the serial number as well as the buyer? Anybody from TN familiar with the system?

I just find it too much of a coincidence that they were randomly told the gun was stolen, separate from my background check at the time of purchase, within that 30-45 minute window.

Could be wrong I guess...

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Gentlemen, say the victim of the theft was on vacation when it occurred. The victim may not have been aware of the theft until several days after returning from vacation and who knows how long the vacation could have been. There are other scenarios as well in which a buyer of a stolen gun would have had no way to know the gun was stolen when purchased.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by manydogs
Strip it down to the naked frame. That's all you have to give back.

Tell everyone to go blow.

You mean to tell me that the stocks were not stolen property as well?? Trigger? Sights? Magazine?

That statement makes no sense at all to me....

I would concur with the many others that I would do nothing until contacted unless the seller was willing to return funds and then upon receipt of the funds, I would turn the gun over to local authorities. If contacted, I would want a copy of any and all reports and would likewise want to turn the gun over to local authorities and get a sign transfer receipt. If the homeowner's insurance already paid it out, they may not go after you for it, and the police are not going to do anything if not bugged.

Its not worth a lot of trouble over but I would not go about spending my time and energy trying to figure out how to throw $500 down the toilet... let them come to you and then be thorough but supportive.

Andrew
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I agree with most here. No problems for the seller. You did everything right. The purchase was through an FFL. No risk for owning the firearm. Now the seller on the other hand, should be a little nervous. I think he would willingly refund your money or else legal trouble will find him for selling stolen property.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
i don't know if this is the case but have had a like sale happen once. Seller sold me a firearm at a very good price, later told me it was stolen and tried to get it back by giving my money back. Just didn't seem right, so I had a buddy who is on the police force run the number, gun wasn't stolen, seller found out the gun was worth about twice what he sold it to me for and was just trying to renege on the sale.

NRA Life Member 1969
OGCA
US Army 1954-1956
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Waders

DO NOT call the police until you first talk to an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction!! You need to know what your risks are, along with your obligations!

If you call the PD, you may be placing yourself at their mercy--and what if they have none?

That's the truth. Police are some of the most ignorant people you'll ever meet in regards to proper application of the law. I wouldn't trust any of them with such information without representation.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
When I call the BATFE, I give them info on the purchaser. The only info I give about the firearm is whether it is a long gun, handgun, etc.

I call the local pd on all used firearms sold, whether pawned, consigned or store purchased and have them run the numbers before the gun goes out the door. I am not required to do so, but it is easier on me not to sell the gun if it comes up stolen than it would be if I had to help retrieve it.

We have had one issue with a stolen firearm, and it was a pd mistake. The same serial number may appear on numerous firearms. The number came up, and the pd did not ascertain whether the number was on the correct firearm before going to collect it. We had sold the gun, and the shop where the person resold it ran the number with his local pd. The fight is ongoing after about 18 months. People were sued over the wrong recovered firearm.

About ten years ago, I purchased a rifle from a pawn shop. Two years later the pawn shop owner contacted me. The gun had been taken from an older fellow's shop and the loss went unnoticed for quite some time. His grandson was the thief.

The old guy wanted his gun back. I said I would hand it over when the grandson was charged with a crime. No crime, no stolen gun. He would not press charges, and I eventually sold the gun back to him for what I paid. You may be in a similar situation if you have not been contacted by the coppers.

Should the coppers want the gun, make sure that the identifying paperwork they have corresponds to what you possess. A minor difference makes your firearm a different firearm than the one they seek.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ColdBore
The thread author lists his location as PA and so do you, hence my referencing it.
We don't have a high fence around our border. wink

(Besides, I lived in TN for about 12 years).

TN uses a state system, not sure if they run the serial number as well as the buyer? Anybody from TN familiar with the system?

I just find it too much of a coincidence that they were randomly told the gun was stolen, separate from my background check at the time of purchase, within that 30-45 minute window.

Could be wrong I guess...
I would imagine the more firearms transactions you're involved in over a lifetime would also equate to more unique situations in which you may find yourself involved.

Could your experience be explained by the pawn shop calling the firearm in and running their standard check on a new inventory item because they had a cash buyer present? Or maybe they hadn't heard anything back from when they turned over their new inventory serial numbers earlier and called to prod the person or office responsible for checking this data for them. Those two scenarios seem most likely. But no, serial number checks aren't part of the NICS process nor are they a requirement in most states as a condition of a sale.

As stated by another poster, firearms thefts aren't always reported when they occur and there isn't any "bat signal" immediately broadcast about a stolen firearm either.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Waders
DO NOT call the police until you first talk to an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction!! You need to know what your risks are, along with your obligations!

If you call the PD, you may be placing yourself at their mercy--and what if they have none?
That's the truth. Police are some of the most ignorant people you'll ever meet in regards to proper application of the law. I wouldn't trust any of them with such information without representation.
That and the fact that police aren't empowered nor are they in any way authorized to render a binding legal determination. (Elementary school civics: three branches of government -- legislative, judicial, and executive. Police agencies are part of the executive branch, not the judicial as some would accept.)

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I would imagine the more firearms transactions you're involved in over a lifetime would also equate to more unique situations in which you may find yourself involved.

Makes sense.

And considering I've only ever bought two guns, then I'm at 50%. whistle laugh wink

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wouldnt happen to be a 94 AE in 307 Win would it? Sold one to a member here, it never arrived. That was about Feb 2010, still havent heard anything about it.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

+ 1 on talking to a criminal defense attorney and NEVER, EVER talk to a police officer at all, about anything. Let me re-phrase that.... NEVER EVER except in monosylabic answers to be barely polite without saying a WORD about any guns, knowledge etc. This is a best policy at all times and all places unless you are talking your way out of a ticket (good luck) or are goofing off with an LEO who is a freind or relative about non police matters. They can huff, and puff, and threaten, and even promise you that you are not a person of interest but unfortunately they cannot be trusted with such. Have them ask you whatever they want to ask you IN WRITING and or via an attorney. In writing is, by far, he best with a CD attnny preparing and sending your reply. I have been, innocently, on the wrong side of such things twice. Got it resolved, but at much expense and headache as well as wrist ache. Love my Brother in Law who is a PD detective but if he ever asks me a question about some crime somewhere I will tell him that I will talk to him THROUGH an attorney, period. If you never have taken any advice from this site, take THIS nugget.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I recently experienced a similar situation.

I was purchasing a rifle from a person from another forum. Sent money and the rifle was shipped to my FFL. When I went to pick up the rifle, the FFL in my state calls in buyer information and firearm information.

The rifle cam up as stolen. The FFL was instructed to hold the rifle and the local PD would come inspect the rifle. If the rifle matched the stolen gun report, then it would be confiscated.

Turns out the person selling my the rifle, had purchased the rifle used about two years prior through a dealer in North Carolina using all the BATF forms, ect. He had all that documentation and promptly faxed it to me.

The seller was able to work with the dealer he bought the rifle through and reclaim his money.

I did not feel any liablility because I had no idea the rifle was stolen, nor did I receive the rifle. I was only potentially out the money.

It did make me think about buying local without going through an FFL.

Eric

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
REloader28 don't put us all in the same box as Texas bad Cops...we all know everything is bigger in texas. There are bad cops everywhere but the majority are there to do the right thing.

Last edited by copiam1; 05/13/11.

Sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission...
10ring1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the great advice everyone. This is in regards to a 10/22 mag from another forum. Thanks and I'll keep everyone updated.

Live and die by the Browning...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Definitely a bummer. I know a fellow in similar circumstance that had to give his rifle up but the store that sold it to him made good with a replacement. You followed the rules , used a ffl and all so it will be hard to prove you knowingly did anything wrong.Besides they obviously know you purchased the gun from the guy or he wouldn't have given them your name. I would say worst case you will lose your gun. Best case the seller gives you the $ back. If it was covered by the original owners insurance you may inquire about buying the gun from the ins co. and get a decent price.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Orchemo
I was purchasing a rifle from a person from another forum. Sent money and the rifle was shipped to my FFL. When I went to pick up the rifle, the FFL in my state calls in buyer information and firearm information.

The rifle cam up as stolen. The FFL was instructed to hold the rifle and the local PD would come inspect the rifle. If the rifle matched the stolen gun report, then it would be confiscated.
I'm curious as to what prompted your receiving dealer to check if your purchase was stolen.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I kinda waded through all the "good" advice you received. I was a Deputy Sheriff in Texas for 16 years. Law Enforcement, frankly, won't care if you get reimbursed or not. They're involvement will be recovering the stolen firearm, and then trying to back track it in hopes of finding who stole it. It's really a rarity that stolen items are ever recovered, especially firearms. As far as invoking your 5th amendment rights, and hiring a criminal defense attorney if a peace officer happens to ask if you have the time...well, that's a bunch paranoid-fueled of hooeey.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I am a FFL in TN. We run the Buyer and The firearm. If the firearm has been put in the system as stolen it will be caught right then seen it happen more than once. What probably happened was the gun was tracked down to the pawn shop by law enforcement and not serial numbers. they probably got the crook to tell them who he sold it to and then tracked it to the pawn shop without the gun ever going into the system as stolen as the owner probably did not even have the serial number. By the time the law tracked it to the pawn shop it had already been sold to you.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,472
Posts18,471,452
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.