24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
After the thread about getting called about a stolen gun bought and shipped through an FFL, I started thinking I'd like to do a check on all mine.

Anybody know what data base is available to the public and how could I go about doing the check without setting off the blackhawks? If I found one, I'd go straight to the guy that sold it to me FTF - I have all the names...

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
As far as I know, there is NO public database, only the NCIC ran by the FBI.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
On several items I have had to deal with I have used the police and State Troopers to attempt to determine if goods were stolen. None worked though the items had been stolen.

In one case the item was a set of Edo 2000 airplane floats... not exactly a cheap item. Though checked repeatedly the police never found them listed as stolen. When the true owner was located th epolice were able to locate the stolen items ONLY by the actual police report number when the theft report was filed.

Messing with any such system is the last thing I would do...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Take the gun down to customs at the local airport and fill out the form for temporary export of a firearm. The customs agent will run the gun through the computer to see if it comes up hot. At least they do that here.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by 500grains
The customs agent will run the gun through the computer to see if it comes up hot.

sounds like a quick way to get it confiscated.

When a column of troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheBigJonson
Originally Posted by 500grains
The customs agent will run the gun through the computer to see if it comes up hot.

sounds like a quick way to get it confiscated.

And arrested.

We will run the numbers NCIC & FCIC for folks if they bring it in. We require them to bring it in in case there is a "hit" we can immediately take custody of the stolen item. And it will keep the person that brings it in from being arrested for possession of a stolen firearm.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If I bought a gun in good faith....and had no knowlege of any problems, I would burn the wood and take a torch to the metal before I would allow THE GOVERNMENT to confiscate.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That Sir is your prerogative, but if you are found out you would then be guilty of destroying evidence in addition to possession of stolen property.

And aside from that you would be denying a rightful owner of their property.

Think about it but don't strain yourself.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
TLEE,

Who is the "we" that runs the check for stolen property?

Gun store, police department, etc?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sheriff's Department, I get to do it if they come to District 3 and I am working.

If stolen every effort is made to return it to it's rightful owner, if a crime gun it goes to the property room and the reporting agency notified. If it comes back clear, and 99% do, we give them a copy of the teletype for their records. There is no charge to the person.

Old cat turd!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TexasRick
If I bought a gun in good faith....and had no knowlege of any problems, I would burn the wood and take a torch to the metal before I would allow THE GOVERNMENT to confiscate.

Why ?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,665
Posts18,512,998
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.