Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just wondering who uses shooting sticks and are they really worth the extra trouble of packing out into the field? The area I will deer hunt this year (hopefully) will require some long shots. I'm anticipating a long shot on a nice mulie anyways, you never know it may end up being 50 yds grin. I've never used shooting sticks and may end up giving some a try. If you had a choice between shooting sticks and a bi-pod, which would you choose? Thanks guys..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use both. The one I use any given day depends on the terrain and such. Cant use my bipods if the grass is to tall and it usually is. I always carry shooting sticks with me though. I use them alot like a walking stick too.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I got bog pod tripod sticks for an elk hunt this fall. My host tells me most shots are standing as scrub brush is too high to get down and the trees in the area are not conducive to a good rest

I shot off the sticks out to 450 yards last weekend. It wasnt easy but i managed to keep most of my shots minute of elk in a light breeze. At 450 it was difficult to stay steady. Would have been nice to have something for my right arm/elbow to rest on

Ive got little use for them for my carolina deer hunting but figure they will be a handy tool to be proficiemt with

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carry SP shooting sticks in my back pack and a Pole cat as a walking stick/ shooting stick. Don't like the extra wt on the rifle of a bipod.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shooting sticks....hands down. They allow you to pan with a moving animal and very adaptable to unlevel terrain. Since purchasing shooting sticks, my bi-pods have all went down the road.
I'd purchase the tall sticks and practice with them every chance you can.
Mitch

Ask for forgiveness......instead of permission
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mistem
Shooting sticks....hands down. They allow you to pan with a moving animal and very adaptable to unlevel terrain. Since purchasing shooting sticks, my bi-pods have all went down the road.
I'd purchase the tall sticks and practice with them every chance you can.
Mitch

Sounds like good advice. I usually like to practice offhand so I don't get too rusty grin. Seems like most of my hunting shots are offhand and up pretty close (usually around 80 to 100 yards) most of the time the animals are moving, but sometimes I get lucky and they sit still long enough to take the shot in that postition.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
bsa1917hunter;
While I must admit that I shoot off of impromptu rests or my pack more often than not, I found that a tripod setup was great for our daughters when they started hunting.

Here is the only photo we seem to have of the older set which I made up from 4' sections of �" dowel rod.
[Linked Image]
They lasted us for 3 seasons and then unceremoniously broke during the stalk on the mule deer that our youngest eventually did shoot - off the two remaining legs.

The replacement that I built was about 5' 2" high and I made them out of American Hickory that was clear all the way through.

Anyway, we've found that a tripod has certainly helped our girls place their shots on uneven terrain and in grass high enough that a bipod might not work.

Hopefully that was some use to you. Good luck on your upcoming mule deer hunt.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's a cute picture Dwayne. I'm hoping to get my girls interested in hunting one of these days grin.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dwayne, I do the same thing with 1/2" dowels and 1/2" tubing. I don't make them for standing, but sitting shots.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shortmagfan
Would have been nice to have something for my right arm/elbow to rest on

At my age, it's more important to keep my ass dry and cactus free. So I steal the ol' milkstool outta the cow barn. The side benefit is a place for yer elbows.......And surprisingly stable. Good on coyote sized targets to 600.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by shortmagfan
Would have been nice to have something for my right arm/elbow to rest on

At my age, it's more important to keep my ass dry and cactus free. So I steal the ol' milkstool outta the cow barn. The side benefit is a place for yer elbows.......And surprisingly stable. Good on coyote sized targets to 600.

[Linked Image]

That's a very interesting set-up......and if you're hitting out to 600 yards with it, it definitely works!

BTW - I'm using Stoney Point Steady Stix II. They pack well and work great.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

Here ya go...the Huntsman "improved"

http://bse.wisc.edu/hfhp/tipsheets_html/stool.htm

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
hey, the pogo-stick spring on the bottom might just come in handy....

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Don't forget about the shooting sticks in your body. There called bones.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I can't shoot nearly as well with 'sticks as I can shooting off my pack.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sumpthin' like these??
[Linked Image]

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Only time I've used them is in the Kalahari. Shots sometimes were at 250 yds (or slightly more)and they were great. I used the Bog Pods, and the PH was so impressed by them that I gifted the set to him.

Other brands seemed a bit wobbly to me.

NO value to me stateside, as most of my rifle hunting is at wild hogs, and most shots are offhand within 50 yds. or so.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carry a set of Stoney point collapsible sticks.

For certain shots they come in handy, but I would agree a shot off a pack is preferred. The sticks are light and work as walking sticks at times too.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
how I roll..

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Prone off a pack is always my first choice. Stoney points are light and help with shooting over higher brush. They seem to get used mostly during tukey season. but shooting off a steep hillside acroos canyons is sometimes easier with sticks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 12344mag, 222ND, 1beaver_shooter, 45 invisible), 1,713 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,051
Posts18,521,250
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.